locks tampered with in hotel or condo?

OnMyWay2

This is the 3rd time this has happened to me so I'm starting to wonder it's actually a coincidence, but the locks on the windows/doors of the condo I rent appear to have been tampered with.

You slide it into the lock position but the window doesn't actually lock. It looks like it's locked, but it's not.

Has anyone else ever had this problem in Pattaya? Maybe I'm paranoid but the 3rd time is starting to seem kind of fishy since these are new doors, it's not like it slowly got this way over time.

Also could have sworn I heard a guy at the front desk asking about the same problem with his room.

Edited by OnMyWay2

Are you talking about sliding aluminum windows/doors? If so and the sliding locks aren't adjusted properly, then yes they can appear to be locked, but the pin doesn't slide into the catch. Get an aluminum window/door guy to out to adjust the sliding lock catch or put a better lock on it.

The test is to close the window/door and slide the locking pin up then see if the window/door is locked.

Note: Aluminum windows/doors with sliding locks aren't very secure even it they do lock! Thieves know how to open them by just lifting the window/door up from the track. Have an expert aluminum window/door person to show you. Rotating hook locks are better.

• Like 1

yes its the aluminum kind. I guess I'm wondering do those commonly go out of alignment or is somebody trying to set me up here?

I called the maintenance to fix it and it took the guy about 3 seconds to set it back in place.

Then I noticed the same thing on the small sliding window.

yes its the aluminum kind. I guess I'm wondering do those commonly go out of alignment or is somebody trying to set me up here?

I called the maintenance to fix it and it took the guy about 3 seconds to set it back in place.

If the screws that holds the catch isn't holding the catch tight enough, yes they can easily go out of alignment. I have that problem a lot!

Just remember those kind of locks aren't that secure. If a thief really wants in, they can easily get in with those kinds of locks!

Lock your valuables up!

Many front desks have a place to lock up valuables. Ask your front desk.

Edited by BB1950

If the screws that holds the catch isn't holding the catch tight enough, yes they can easily go out of alignment. I have that problem a lot!

Just remember those kind of locks aren't that secure. If a thief really wants in, they can easily get in with those kinds of locks!

Lock your valuables up!

Many front desks have a place to lock up valuables. Ask your front desk.

1-Possibly, but what are the most safe and SAFEST options for valuables and things you'd rather not have others know about?

2-Besides a bank account which only holds cash and even they have weaknesses and what about the slight chance there is a run on the banks,

Aluminum windows/doors with sliding locks aren't very secure even it they do lock! Thieves know how to open them by just lifting the window/door up from the track. Have an expert aluminum window/door person to show you. Rotating hook locks are better.

Yes & No: Only true in some cheap Thai installations.

Yes you "lift" each window to put it in its frame, but then there is shim/spacer to attach on the top of each window to avoid the window to go out the frame, by accident or intrusion attempt. smile.png

Also if you have large doors with good glasses, each door can be very heavy. Good luck to lift it when closed wink.png (Mines with PVC frame are 85 kg each)

quickest way to safeguard any slider windows or doors is a trick from a Los Angelos cop after our friends place got hit. Drill a small hole near the top or bottom of the frame & place a nail even a brad will work in the frame that goes through both the base & the window frame. Pain in the ass for daily use but when we go on Vacation we do this trick on any windows not to be used along with someone staying in the house at nights. You will seriously wrap your hands up trying to compromise the locked in place frame. But there are a whole bunch of ways to get in any house or condo.

Most likely security are the ones setting up the places so they do not have to have the main keys & possibly be seen on the cameras that watch them. A camera to watch them Good luck there is no restitution in this country(we already went through this & you get zero back unless the cops recover anything immediately -which is next to never) Our neighbors not only got his stuff stolen but they noticed the camera on the pole & stole the cctv recorder & both cameras as well. A camera is not going to do more than catch security if they are the perps.

We always carry a Pacsafe when we travel, and strap it around an immovable object. Hotel in-room safes are nearly useless, and short of a thief with a bolt cutter, they can't get at the valuables and the safe isn't going anywhere.

41BszEXvJSL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Travelsafe-12L-Charcoal-Size/dp/B00E8BK6KQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415674323&sr=8-2&keywords=pacsafe+safe

It comes with a lock, but we replaced it with a shrouded Master lock for better security.

They also make a smaller one which is handy for taking to the beach and strapping around a beach chair when you want to go in the water.

Edited by WaywardWind