Releasing floating lanterns near Thai airports may be punishable by death

webfact

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, there's no denying that releasing floating lanterns near airports is dangerous, not to mention the environmental impact of these things.

But why release such a ridiculous statement about it being punishable by death?

What a ludicrous thing to say.

Why is it ludicrous?

If after the event, it was found that pieces of lantern wire got sucked into a few Airbus engines, bringing it down (although they can run on one engine, so it would take all engine failures, i.e. 4 catastrophic engine failures upon approach), would not everybody be screaming blue murder, and thehang 'em dry brigade would step in after the event? Prevention is better than cure, or in this case the potential of 500 deaths.

Death penalty might sound harsh... but if it the death penalty for causing 500 deaths, I'm sure you'd agree that is befitting... retrospectively, of course????

a freak accident should not be punished by death. Unless one person releases 100 ligths knowing a plane is coming even then what are thw chances the plane will crash.

From the thousands of sky lanterns set of at Songkran,
how would they know it's my one who flew over the Airport?

Next law will be for the sky lanterns to have a registration number
plus name, address and phone number of the person who sets
them off printed on them. crazy.gif

• Like 1

Police warn against floating sky lanterns near airports

5-11-2557-11-47-22-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police today gave a serious warning to the public that anybody found to float sky lanterns or aim laser beams into the sky near airports during the Loy Krathong Festival could face maximum penalty by laws.

The warning came as the Loy Krathong celebrations will start across the country with highlight events to be held tomorrow.

According to First Region Provincial Police commissioner Pol Lt-Gen. Amnuay Nimmano, such action is deemed very dangerous to the safety of aircraft and is a violation of the Act on Certain Offenses Against Air Navigation B.E. 2521 (1978).

Violators may face death or a life sentence or serve a lighter sentence of 5 to 10 years in prison, if damages done were not too severe.

Such offenders are also guilty of violating Section 232 of the Criminal Code and that alone carries a sentence of 6 to 7 years in prison and a fine up to 1,000 to 14,000 baht.

Members of the public have been requested by the police to refrain from releasing sky lanterns or balloons into the sky.

The police will be strictly monitoring the airports to ensure that such activities do not take place he warned.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-warn-floating-sky-lanterns-near-airports/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-05

From the thousands of sky lanterns set of at Songkran,

how would they know it's my one who flew over the Airport?

Next law will be for the sky lanterns to have a registration number

plus name, address and phone number of the person who sets

them off printed on them. crazy.gif

I think just seeing people light them near airports.. not tracing those back that are near the airport would work better. Just logic actually.

Sure, there's no denying that releasing floating lanterns near airports is dangerous, not to mention the environmental impact of these things.

Why is it ludicrous?

If after the event, it was found that pieces of lantern wire got sucked into a few Airbus engines, bringing it down (although they can run on one engine, so it would take all engine failures, i.e. 4 catastrophic engine failures upon approach), would not everybody be screaming blue murder, and thehang 'em dry brigade would step in after the event? Prevention is better than cure, or in this case the potential of 500 deaths.

Death penalty might sound harsh... but if it the death penalty for causing 500 deaths, I'm sure you'd agree that is befitting... retrospectively, of course????

a freak accident should not be punished by death. Unless one person releases 100 ligths knowing a plane is coming even then what are thw chances the plane will crash.

Freak accident?

Such candles invite such an accident, and if not curtailed then such an invitation will manifest itself into reality - somewhere.

It isn't 'one' person, as you allude to, but it is hundreds, and many lanterns travel to 3,000 ft.... some being reported by pilots as high as 5,000 ft.

Is that really a freak accident, or mindless action inviting aircraft failure.

What if you were flying, looking out an aircraft window, seeing hundreds of lanterns coming your way, built with wire? You say, "Oh... get ready for a freak accident, my dear?"

• Like 1

These things are airborne for around 12 mins at heights typically used during take off or landing. Having personally seen several hundred within 1km either side of my local runway , inc several caught in the vortex of passing planes I fully understand any concerns.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

These things are airborne for around 10 mins at heights of up to 10k feet. Having personally seen several hundred within 1km either side of my local runway i fully understand any concerns.

Just pray for heavy rain storms on the day..................thattle get them scuttling in doors.

My Mrs. watches Thai "news" and over lunch yesterday, she was mentioning the "lantern problem". The potential aviation hazard and that burning lanterns returning to Earth have created some property damage as well. I just nodded and repeated the karma-like addage, "What goes up, must come down". wink.png

As we have seen with the competence of the investigators in this nation, how will they even figure out who the offender is/was. 500 lanterns going up at once, and they will be able to tell which one was sucked into a jet engine at 2000 feet? Come on, they can't even prosecute two Burmese that were beaten into confessing after using the island's pancake vendor translating service.

It would be better if a "colon cleanse" was done on the police / government to flush out the filth before they attempt to enforce laws on the public.

• Like 1

I wonder what the reactions would be if an airplane got in trouble by one of these lanterns.

On second thought,i can imagine what they would say.

Why don't they do like they suggested doing for the Ban Fai festival. Create red zone where pilots are told to be careful? I don't recall a single event between the floating candles and aircraft. However those Issan SAMs, a pilot reported seeing one at 10,000', and IIRC 1 pilot had to take avoiding action on approach to an airport up there.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

Ah PTP logic.. no planes have crashed so its safe to light laterns around airports. I guess you think driving drunk is ok too. I mean most of the time nothing happens so its ok.

I think its a sensible thing to put a stop to an unsafe practice, the punishment is overkill but could be seen as a deterrent. (i somehow doubt it would ever put in practice )

Good grief! Can you not discuss anything on this forum without trying to tie it back to a political party you hate? Pathetic.

As it is stipulated by statute it's not so ludicrous neither would it be ludicrous if a fully-loaded plane was downed by ingesting lanterns or the affects of lasers.

I don't believe it........

They are concerned about the safety of the people and posters are mumbling about being over the top and knee jerk reactions.

What does it take to satisfy you people?

I don't think the majority are disputing the safety factors more the penalties, which are waaaaaay OTT but in line with many recent pronouncements from the current incumbents.

Martial Law does that.

Mind you internationally even unintentionally possibly endangering airplanes tends to be criminalised more and more. Anything which may distract pilots on take-off or landing can have disastrous effects. Those two phases are the most critical parts of a 'flight'

Obviously passenger safety is a high priority but this announcement only serves to create dis-information and the frankly stupid notion that a paper lantern which ways a few hundred grams could bring down a passenger airliner weighing several hundred tons.

Just remember that passenger engines are tested in the following ways before being certified safe for use;

1) have over 4.5 tons of water are sprayed into the engine in 1 minute

2) 3/4 of a ton a hail is sprayed into an engine in 1 minute

3) the infamous frozen chicken gun - A frozen chicken is fired into a engine

4) designed to withstand the worst of a lightening strike (if that is at all possible)

All these test need to be passed repeatedly over a test period which averages at least 2 years (probably more) before the engines are used.

As a previous poster mentioned birds are more dangerous than paper lanterns to aircraft.

Except that these "paper" floating lanterns are lit with candles, which makes them highly flammable objects to airplanes. Also, we're not talking about a single paper lantern here because hundreds of them are released into the sky as part of the Loy Krathong festival celebrations.

There are those on these boards that even when the presented Thai to English item is well presented don't seem to bother or are able to read the item before spouting verbal diahorea.

Then there are items like this where one has to apply the English language to interprete a very poorly presented item. The clue is in the reference to the gaol sentence of 5 to 10 years where the consequence of the action is not to severe. Apply logic and one can work out that this poorly presented item is inferring that you will be sentenced to death if releasing lanterns near an airport results in severe consequences. ie - you will not be facing a death penalty for releasing lanterns near an airport but cause an air accident and you sure as hell will, and rightfully so for negligence when warned, be facing the death penalty.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

Obviously passenger safety is a high priority but this announcement only serves to create dis-information and the frankly stupid notion that a paper lantern which ways a few hundred grams could bring down a passenger airliner weighing several hundred tons.

Just remember that passenger engines are tested in the following ways before being certified safe for use;

4) designed to withstand the worst of a lightening strike (if that is at all possible)

All these test need to be passed repeatedly over a test period which averages at least 2 years (probably more) before the engines are used.

As a previous poster mentioned birds are more dangerous than paper lanterns to aircraft.

While I don't disagree with the content of your engine testing information, I think you are missing the point.

To not regulate the release of floating, or other flying things, into the controlled airspace near airports, really does "fly" in the face of modern day common sense and aviation safety standards. Wouldn't you agree?

Remember the threats by the residents around Swampy, upset about aircraft noise? Think it was around 2007/08 or so.

"According to Acting Provincial Police Chief Region 1 Pol. Maj. Gen. Amnuay Nimmano, such action is deemed very dangerous to the safety of aircraft and is a violation of the Act on Certain Offenses Against Air Navigation B.E. 2521 (1978)."

Soon to be former " Acting Provincial Police Chief Region 1" if he makes any more pronouncements like this.

Edited by Bluespunk

Who'd have thought a floating lantern is just as dangerous as a surface-to-air RPG ? Well I guess we have a new class of clowns in charge of the asylum now, since the last ones blamed all the airport mishaps on ghosts and evil spirits

I guess the next step, is death penalty for littering. Death penalty for disagreeing with the government. While real crimes go unpunished.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

Except that these "paper" floating lanterns are lit with candles, which makes them highly flammable objects to airplanes. Also, we're not talking about a single paper lantern here because hundreds of them are released into the sky as part of the Loy Krathong festival celebrations.

Better hope Al-qaeda doesn't get their hands on them then.

Seriously if people actually think that these paper lanterns lit with candles will get anywhere near a plane are dreaming. The air turbulence (the air moving out of the way of the plane as it thunders through the sky at 400kph and / or the backwash caused by a 747 would blow the thing out the sky before it got within 100 feet.

And even if it did by some miracle get sucked into the engines the suction of the engines would extinguish any candle.And spit it out the back.

While I don't disagree with the content of your engine testing information, I think you are missing the point.

To not regulate the release of floating, or other flying things, into the controlled airspace near airports, really does "fly" in the face of modern day common sense and aviation safety standards. Wouldn't you agree?

Remember the threats by the residents around Swampy, upset about aircraft noise? Think it was around 2007/08 or so.

Competently agree that flying things require regulation especially around an airport . I disagree with the idea that they are 'highly dangerous' to aircraft.

This military junta illegal government are going too far now.

This military are not fit for purpose.

They would run a mile at any real conflict and only have a history of repressing their own people.

The next government should seriously look at replacing the lot of the military command.

If anyone has committed crimes punishable by death are the succession of high ranking military personnel.

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

Ah PTP logic.. no planes have crashed so its safe to light laterns around airports. I guess you think driving drunk is ok too. I mean most of the time nothing happens so its ok.

I think its a sensible thing to put a stop to an unsafe practice, the punishment is overkill but could be seen as a deterrent. (i somehow doubt it would ever put in practice )

Go back to wherever you came killjoy. Leave our Thailand alone. Loykratong has had lanterns realeased surrounding the CM airport for 40 years. We aint going to change for nobody robblok or the police..

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ban air flights during the festival

sorted

Well either one or the other , you'd be hard pressed to stop the lanterns , if you do it has to be a blanket ban (Like no lighting of fires in Summer) so it would be easier to suspend flights 6pm to 10pm.

I just love the sentences, punishment and fines that goes along with each crime here in Thailand........you are sentenced to the next 6 years behind bars in prison AND pay 1000 baht........tongue.png

Had you not confessed to the crime you would have faced the death penalty......facepalm.gif

Violators may face execution or a life sentence or serve a lighter sentence of 5 to 10 years in prison, if damages done were not too severe. In addition, such offenders are also guilty of violating Section 232 of the Criminal Code and that alone carries a sentence of 6 to 7 years in prison and a fine up to 1,000 to 14,000 baht.

Seems VERY reasonable.

In the US if you point a laser and interfere with the operation of an aircraft, it is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison and a quarter of a million dollars fine. I imagine if it brought down the plane killing people then you would received a life sentence or possibly the death penalty.

• Like 2

Violators may face execution or a life sentence or serve a lighter sentence of 5 to 10 years in prison, if damages done were not too severe. In addition, such offenders are also guilty of violating Section 232 of the Criminal Code and that alone carries a sentence of 6 to 7 years in prison and a fine up to 1,000 to 14,000 baht.

Seems VERY reasonable.

In the US if you point a laser and interfere with the operation of an aircraft, it is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison and a quarter of a million dollars fine. I imagine if it brought down the plane killing people then you would received a life sentence or possibly the death penalty.

Happens in your neck of the woods in Oakland often John?