Releasing floating lanterns near Thai airports may be punishable by death

webfact

Very few lanterns ever reach a height that would be remotely dangerous to an aeroplane and even if an aeroplane did hit one I cannot imagine there would be any serious consequences. These are flimsy constructions with a candle for propulsion. Are we seriously expected to believe that a 747 can be brought down by a candle?

Come to think of it I am now concerned about flying at any time if that is the case.

Death penalty my rump.

Another poster who does not read previous content.

They are not flimsy at all; they are made with wire, which if it got into an engine would cause catastophic failure. In addition, they generally reach up to 3,000 ft, and pilots have reported them as high as 5,000 ft. If you think that could not interfere with a descent, then I suggest you understand that planes descend from 5,000 ft downwards through 3,000ft downards, and below, in order to reach the runway!

Ingestion of thin wire might cause damage. Improbable though. Worst case: engine shutdown on climb out or approach. Not good but little chance of a major problem. Engines are tested for foreign object impact with a large frozen turkey. The fan blades would cut the wire, the hot section melt the residue. Bird strikes are worse but not catastophic. If you are flying tomorrow evening relax.

The one US Airways 747 airliner that landed in Hudson river, ca. ~2009, prooves the occurrances (with birds) can be catastrophic - luckily an amazing captain on that flight, that managed a water landing with that sized airliner, thus no fatalities. Investigative result: Both engines failed amidst takeoff, when hit by a flock of geese. Further note about the case: none of the people that simulated the same conditions managed to get the plane on any of the nearby airfields in the given timeframe, with or without the emergency checklist, so 0 tally on lives was all the mastery of the captain's actions.

Now regarding the lanterns, or any other flying debris objects, themselves - you really don't want that burning crap into the engines, no matter how big or small the objects are. There are even some military fighters (Mainfly F-16's and F-18's) out there which won't even take off if the respective runway isn't properly cleaned up by a maintenance crew - the same technology safeguards (if not stricter) are in place in that tech also. The term is FOD-damage (Foreign Object Debris, for the non-googler ones), and it costs the aerospace industry billions of dollars per year.

Here a couple of example pricetags;

- $25,000: a set of fanblades for a MD-11 ( they're the ones that get to chew the metal debris and keep the bird up in the sky )

- $500,000 up to $1,600,000: overhaul of the aforementioned MD-11 engine for FOD-damage.

(above numbers are courtesy of Boeing Foreign Object Debris and Damage Prevention report)

• Like 1

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

The lanterns are not capable of brining down a turbine or turbo prop aircraft. They are flimsy and even engine ingestion is unlikely to result in damage. They are a hazard to navigation in large numbers. Pilots would, I am sure, much prefer that they are kept from departure and approach paths. In the 8 years we have lived here I can no trecall a reported incident.

Drack the impaler might agree with the proposed sanctions. I can not.

Have to raise the BS pennant on that: "ingestion is unlikely to result in damage". A small screw or bolt or washer sucked up into a turbine engine is certainly enough to damage them, and the damage can be, but is not necessarily always, catastrophic. Carrier crews do walkdowns (flight deck crew line up literally shoulder to shoulder and walk the length of the flight deck, heads down, looking for & collecting any and every "foreign object" they find) before every flight ops cycle, day & night. It actually takes incredibly little to damage a turbine engine if sucked up into one while it's running, and yes, it's happened to me. I've seen plenty but haven't handled one of these lanterns and am not too familiar with their construction, but if there's any wire or metal involved, they're definitely a FOD hazard. Even wood. Even a candle. The blading in the engines is manufactured and installed to very tight specs, and very intolerant of any impact damage. Spinning at very high speed it's not impossible for most any solid object sucked up in the intake (the suction is more powerful than some realize) to knock one loose, and if that happens, it sails back through the remaining compressor stages, and then into the turbine stages, knocking off other blades & stuff as it goes. With blades knocked off, the spinning rotors immediately become unbalanced and, well, it's like knocking one blade off of a propeller while it's running...

Not saying every encounter's going to result in a crash or explosion or engine fire or something catastrophic. The degree of damage is rather unpredictable, and can range from the unnoticed to loss of power to an overheat condition to complete engine failure or fire to an explosion. I'd compare it to bird strikes (like the ones that silenced Sullenberger's engines causing him to have to ditch in the Hudson - he lost power in both engines). In my case I just got a Fire light and had to shutdown one engine and land. The engine was pulled & replaced.

Wow actually someone who actually knows something about the topic, and isn't just full of BS.

Violators may face execution or a life sentence or serve a lighter sentence of 5 to 10 years in prison, if damages done were not too severe. In addition, such offenders are also guilty of violating Section 232 of the Criminal Code and that alone carries a sentence of 6 to 7 years in prison and a fine up to 1,000 to 14,000 baht.

Seems VERY reasonable.

In the US if you point a laser and interfere with the operation of an aircraft, it is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison and a quarter of a million dollars fine. I imagine if it brought down the plane killing people then you would received a life sentence or possibly the death penalty.

Just curious, & not saying it isn't dangerous, but how does a laser affect an aircraft?

They need to be quiet strong but if they are they can blind the pilot albeit temporarily, possibly more difficult with a commercial as the pilot sits at the top so doesn't see the ground unless the lasers on a hill higher than the plane but is a big problem with helicopters in the UK at the moment, particularly with the Police as in a helicopter even temporarily blinding the pilot can be very bad due to how low helicopters fly (airspace to recover) and how they are controlled with the delicate pilot input required to fly them, compared to a fixed wing.

In the UK there's a limit to laser strength that can be bought ( laser pens, pointers etc) but you can buy pretty much what you want on eBay.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

Ah PTP logic.. no planes have crashed so its safe to light laterns around airports. I guess you think driving drunk is ok too. I mean most of the time nothing happens so its ok.

I think its a sensible thing to put a stop to an unsafe practice, the punishment is overkill but could be seen as a deterrent. (i somehow doubt it would ever put in practice )

Good grief! Can you not discuss anything on this forum without trying to tie it back to a political party you hate? Pathetic.

Look here, dont be so negative. The paper on these lanterns may well be coloured red, releasing them is well known to be a favoured pastime of the ill educated and evil intentioned " bubulus amee" inhabitants of the Northern and North Eastern reaches of The kingdom, they may even be thinking of their favourite politician, Darling of Isaan, at the very moment they release them! We should take no chances - ban, death penalty, aargh..... (reaches for whisky bottle, the one with the reassuring yellow label).

PS:Bubulus Amee - Admit it, you googled it!

Edited by JAG

The death penalty thing is over the top. But around airports the lanterns would constitute a hazard. I've read they've been known to start fires, too. So someone's just trying to inject a little safety into the traditional practice, and got carried away. Pretty obviously no one's actually going to be executed, so the steam-letting hereabouts probably really isn't necessary.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on this, does it not seem absurd they would use this timing on the matter? After all, the sellers have by now likely sold massive amounts of these already. That might be good for the sellers but how about the buyers? Nobody care that they've spent their money already? And, of course the sellers also have spent on stock they now won't be able to sell. I mean, this is the day before it begins for crying out loud! Is one legally required to be up on the news? If so, what would be sufficient, reading the newspapers, checking it out on t.v., or going to a fortune teller? Is whoever thought this up an

infant or an elder with Alzheimers?

So you think it is too late for people because by having a lantern it means you must release it near an airport?

• Like 1

The death penalty thing is over the top. But around airports the lanterns would constitute a hazard. I've read they've been known to start fires, too. So someone's just trying to inject a little safety into the traditional practice, and got carried away. Pretty obviously no one's actually going to be executed, so the steam-letting hereabouts probably really isn't necessary.

Think these things are banned in the UK now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23123549

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23150245

Also banned in Washington DC area, since 1892, with a hefty penalty of US$10 each released 'fire balloon' w00t.gif Inflation calculation on that fine would bring it to be ~$263 in todays money, so it would've been a harsh punishment back in the day biggrin.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engljand-birmingham-23150245

Funny enough I saw a pack of 6 for sale in a shop today in London, and they were Red.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engljand-birmingham-23150245

Funny enough I saw a pack of 6 for sale in a shop today in London, and they were Red.

LOL!

Also banned in Washington DC area, since 1892, with a hefty penalty of US$10 each released 'fire balloon' w00t.gif Inflation calculation on that fine would bring it to be ~$263 in todays money, so it would've been a harsh punishment back in the day biggrin.png

I'd be amazed if there weren't currently prohibitions (with bigger teeth) on these things in the U.S., too, esp. since 9-11, and esp. around airports or airport flight paths.

Incidentally, WRT #181, Capt. Sullenberger was flying an A320, not a 747, when he ditched in the Hudson in 2009. The bird strike disabled both engines, and some passengers reported seeing the left engine actually on fire. Turbine engines are definitely NOT designed to withstand foreign object damage. That's ANY foreign object damage, and that means ANY foreign objects. Such a design would be nearly impossible. Turbine engines depend on high-volume airflow to the compressor section, and high rotational speeds and high temperatures WRT the moving parts (which are many) within the guts of the engine. Any debris caught up in that airflow is going to cause problems (including for the debris, if it happens to be a human...). They ARE designed to give the pilot as much time as possible to react to an emergency condition and take immediate action to minimize too uncontrollable a progression to a catastrophic event, like disintegration of the engine or explosion. You wouldn't believe how fast a military pilot can shutdown his engines on deck if he gets a frantic cut signal...

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

I'd be amazed if there weren't currently prohibitions (with bigger teeth) on these things in the U.S., too, esp. since 9-11, and esp. around airports or airport flight paths.

Incidentally, WRT #181, Capt. Sullenberger was flying an A320, not a 747, when he ditched in the Hudson in 2009. The bird strike disabled both engines, and some passengers reported seeing the left engine actually on fire. Turbine engines are definitely NOT designed to withstand foreign object damage. That's ANY foreign object damage, and that means ANY foreign objects. Such a design would be nearly impossible. Turbine engines depend on high-volume airflow to the compressor section, and high rotational speeds and high temperatures WRT the moving parts (which are many) within the guts of the engine. Any debris caught up in that airflow is going to cause problems (including for the debris, if it happens to be a human...). They ARE designed to give the pilot as much time as possible to react to an emergency condition and take immediate action to minimize too uncontrollable a progression to a catastrophic event, like disintegration of the engine or explosion. You wouldn't believe how fast a military pilot can shutdown his engines on deck if he gets a frantic cut signal...

Ah - my bad checking the type - just refreshed my memory by googling downed in hudson and the first video was named "Boeing 747 Emergency Landing Hudson River". Were it the case 747 was flown, then it would've had two more engines to keep the jet up in the sky, so in retrospect too bad it wasn't a 747 variant. Anyways thanks for pointing it out :)

As per the fire balloons aka sky lanterns, what I've read so far, is that they're banned in at least a dozen of states per fire regulation codes, or municipality/city regulations, and everywhere tightening. In many states they are considered high altitude fireworks, and where they're legally sold they're adviced to be tethered. Also a lot of country wide bans around the globe, as well as the birthplace of the chinese lantern (w00t.gif), the city of Sanya in mainland China, has banned them. Reasons for most bans are both a fire hazard, and obstructing air traffic, so it is safe to say they are considered a risk.

Violators may face execution or a life sentence or serve a lighter sentence of 5 to 10 years in prison, if damages done were not too severe. In addition, such offenders are also guilty of violating Section 232 of the Criminal Code and that alone carries a sentence of 6 to 7 years in prison and a fine up to 1,000 to 14,000 baht.

Furthermore, those violators from a wealthy family, whose actions result in the downing of an aircraft with the loss of life of all onboard will face a telling off and a 22 baht fine.

Execution for launching a lantern, but a policeman who kills half a family in cold blood and is found guilty is allowed out on appeal (and absconds), A politicians son who shoots a policeman in the head in view of eye witnesses is never charged and given a job as a small arms instructor in the same organization, and a drunk drugged Ferrari driving retard who mows down a policeman and tries to blame the family driver is allowed a one year stay in Singapore to get rid of a cold because he cant fly back while 'sick'. Amazing Thailand.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

Has any jet been brought down by a floating lantern? They objected last year to them on the grounds of a fire risk.

Not to my knowledge, but good risk management dictates that the circumstances that can lead to such an event aren't permitted to occur.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Seems VERY reasonable.

In the US if you point a laser and interfere with the operation of an aircraft, it is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison and a quarter of a million dollars fine. I imagine if it brought down the plane killing people then you would received a life sentence or possibly the death penalty.

Just curious, & not saying it isn't dangerous, but how does a laser affect an aircraft?

Laser does not affect the plane directly, it affects the pilots by ruining vision at critical points of flight particularly at night.

Pointing lasers at the cockpit of an aircraft is a stupid and dangerous thing to do, I have experienced it and it is most unpleasant and frightening

If you are interested look it up and the penalties

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Well the turbines get tested by throwing in a full size big duck at full speed of the turbine. And an airplane should be able to handle a problem at one turbine.

I doubt that such a light lantern can cause a serious problem.

Of course it shouldn't be done near the airport but the penalty (execute only the father or also the children who helped?) is way off. a 5000 Baht fee would be OK.

• Like 1

Seems VERY reasonable.

Laser does not affect the plane directly, it affects the pilots by ruining vision at critical points of flight particularly at night.

Pointing lasers at the cockpit of an aircraft is a stupid and dangerous thing to do, I have experienced it and it is most unpleasant and frightening

If you are interested look it up and the penalties

Yeah, and also the similarity to laser sights used on guns. It is threatening for sure. Hundreds of balloons go up at Hadrin beach, which is right on the flight path to BKK, and because of KPG closeness to Samui, the altitude is very low also... the planes are coming over at about 1800 feet. That to me suggests a real risk... but it's been going on for years and no one has done anything, probably have not even considered it... being Thailand. I think the humour with this announcement is the completely over the top threat of lethal injection.

My brother's house caught fire 3 years ago on ok pansaa due to lanterns.

Death is a bit severe.

If he and 400 other people had been locked inside while it burned what would you have said?

He's got a big house?............................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

My brother's house caught fire 3 years ago on ok pansaa due to lanterns.

Death is a bit severe.

If he and 400 other people had been locked inside while it burned what would you have said?

He's got a big house?............................coffee1.gif

He hasn't any more has he. Just like the 400 in the airliner don't have an airplane.