ILR UK in expired passport

My friend has ILR (Granted about 5 years ago) that is in her old passport she now has a new Thai passport is there any problems with using 2 passports? as she will be going back to Thailand next year for a holiday and she does not want any problems with returning to the UK.

Thank you

You could have the ILR stamp transferred to her new passport, but it's not cheap.

She would be issued with the new biometric residency permit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-indefinite-leave-to-remain-in-uk-form-ntl

There is no problem however with carrying an old passport with the ILR and the new passport without.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

My wife was in the same situation.

They wanted around £200 to transfer the ILR and it was either wait for weeks or do a day trip to Croydon.

We didn't bother. My wife just carried two passports for years until she started using her UK passport to enter the UK.

Never had a problem on entry with the old passport carrying the ILR and, of course, the new Thai passport as well.

A word of caution. If you do decide to send passports to have the ILR transferred, ensure you send a pre paid 'Special Delivery' return address envelope, the UKBA used standard 'Recorded Delivery' otherwise.

A friend of mine submitted her and her sons applications for ILR.

She received an envelope back from the UKBA with documents, but without the passports.

The envelope wasn't damaged, but the UKBA wouldn't except any responsibility.

It eventually cost her over a £1000 in costs to get new passports and NTL stamps.

(NTL = No time Limit. A ILR permit is only issued once as it has a unique number)

The Post Office would only compensate £39 for Recorded Delivery.

Eventually, after Police reports, complaining to her MP and the Parliamentary Ombudsman taking up the case she received £289 compensation from the UKBA.

It took 8 months to resolve and in between they couldn't travel.

All for the cost of a prepaid 'Special Delivery' envelope.

• Like 1

They wanted around £200 to transfer the ILR and it was either wait for weeks or do a day trip to Croydon.

At least the cost of converting an ILR sticker to a BRP evidencing NTL is down to £123.20 (£104 to Home Office, £19.20 to Post Office) + photos + travel to post office and postage for passports and form. The mandatory ten-yearly renewal is about £74 + the same extras. In both cases there will be a demand for evidence of continued residence in the UK such as utility bills or letter(s) from employers.