Lap top performance

siampolee

As stated before I am a child of the abacus age as opposed to the computer age hence my question no doubt considered inane by the experts.

I am considering replacing my faithful P.C. with possibly a lap top.

The question is, as I do download a lot of U.K T.V. programmes how long can I let a laptop run before it might self destruct as I understand they have no cooling fan? My boys have cool pads(?) fans that their laptops rest on which seem to act as a cooling system. However I am not sure of the efficiency of said devices

The faithful P.C. runs 24-7 downloading and uploading among other numerous mundane tasks, nary a problem in 10 years.

All replies and advice welcome and greatly appreciated.

Laptops have cooling fans but they tend to get hotter due to their compact size. As long as the cpu and gpu are not doing any intensive tasks they can stay on 24/7 without any problems. Why do you want to change to a laptop? With desktops you have a lot more options for upgrades in the future.

Laptops can run 24/7 downloading stuff. Had one an old doing that for a couple of years. On a cooling pad, screen turned off and never seemed to overheat. Eventually gave it to someone and it's still going strong last I heard.

And if you get a laptop with a 4th generation Intel CPU and a SSD you probably won't feel any heat anywhere on the laptop except a slight amount at the cooling fan outlet. I have a Lenovo Z510 laptop with an Intel i7 4th generation CPU and I put a SSD in it....runs so cool compared to my older laptops....very fast machine.

Laptops should last just as long or longer than a desktop unless you bang them around. However, when a laptop breaks it's usually harder and more costly to get it repaired since the unique motherboard components are so integrated on one board compared to a desktop that comes with a motherboard, probably a separate video card/GPU, separate power supply, etc., which can be more easily and quickly replaced.

However, with that being said I gave up desktops about 8 years ago....got tied of being tied to only location in the house/just setting in my computer room/office to use the computer. I only use laptops now...got three of them...a 1 year old Lenovo, a 7 year old Toshiba, and an 8 year old Toshiba. The 7 year old laptop required a Bt1,500 quick repair last year to replace its GPU...but after replacing the GPU chip it's been running fine since.

Edited by Pib

Laptops have cooling fans but they tend to get hotter due to their compact size. As long as the cpu and gpu are not doing any intensive tasks they can stay on 24/7 without any problems. Why do you want to change to a laptop? With desktops you have a lot more options for upgrades in the future.

Not true, when using "Naam Kheang"/

Well thank you to all for the information and now my mind is working.I prefer a P.C. however the portability of the laptop is indeed a very useful attribute .

(No doubt a lap top dancer would cause something to arise to both talk and write about toocheesy.gifcheesy.gif) Dedicated to the two perve replies.emot-kiss.gif.pagespeed.ce.EAwNQWAQZf.gi

Crabdog your question is a valid one so here is my answer.

Bit bally annoying and tedious taking the P.C. to our Suirn home when we go there for a while sometimes a week sometimes a month, I'm getting too bally cantankerous these days to be plagued with all the flim flam involved and the wires and the technical bits.w00t.gifcheesy.gif

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRde6uWvgVZDVCsZduYMgUpLO6zDCj2FU0g4Z8IH6_EKpV-jv4tIQ

I notice that these Mini Pc's are made by lots of manufactures these days.. i3, i5 and i7....... also some have up to 8 GB of Ram, 1 TB Hard drive, 4x USB even 2x HDMi ports in a box the size of your hand...

Just wonder if only using between 2 places would be better ? cheap and easy to have a extra mouse, keyboard and monitor, so you only take the PC box with you.. so smaller to take with you than a laptop

For me yes I still have a desktop with 32" monitor, also have a old 15.6" Sony Laptop and a 13" top model in it day Acer laptop, but there is no way these could replace my PC. for me 13" screen is just to small and gives me a bad head very quickly

Yes, still using my desktop with my 24" monitor with a great video card and audio card plug to Harman Kardon HK3300 amp with a pair of Mordaunt Short speakers, no laptop beats that. Easy to upgrade and repair. I use Toshiba Satellite laptop for the road.

Having read all the post so far this is the plan.

Refurbish old P.C. bigger screen that's all.

Buy new laptop budget around 30-35 K However to be a bit of a <deleted> is it possible if I wish to bypass shutdown,temporarily the smaller laptop screen and view on the larger screen?

Not really an issue if not possible but worth a try

Most laptops come with an external video port which allows you to run a second screen. Having two screens, your laptop and separate monitor, and running different programs and having two displays can become addictive....and from a productivity standpoint a must for many folks. Real easy to setup...that's how I have one of my laptops setup...the laptop that pretty much lives in my home office. Or just use the separate monitor screen. But for most of my computering I just use my primary laptop on the dining room table, outside on the porch, etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Thanks Pib.

My mind is made up so within the next couple of week I shall be pottering around the various computer dedicated outlets to see what's available.mac appeals but I am not willing to pay that sort of money out for my adult toy!!

For me yes I still have a desktop with 32" monitor, also have a old 15.6" Sony Laptop and a 13" top model in it day Acer laptop, but there is no way these could replace my PC. for me 13" screen is just to small and gives me a bad head very quickly

you can plug a 32 inch monitor into your laptop too !

• Like 1

you can plug a 32 inch monitor into your laptop too !

YES,

also the old Sony [about 13 years old] long before HDMi is plugged into the 42" Plasma no problem via VGA cable

Edited by ignis

Yes, not to mention bigger screens if you like downloading things from British TV.

Laptops are yesterday's news. In my opinion the best computing

solution is to buy a high powered desktop which is much cheaper

than a similar laptop. Then when you are on the road, time to whip

out the Ipad. Laptops just feel so nineties, there are better solutions

available today. If you need to create complex spread sheets or do

intensive Photoshop work while you are in a hotel room somewhere,

I agree that a laptop is needed. But for the average person, a pad

represents a much better solution. As well as being cheaper...

Laptops are yesterday's news. In my opinion the best computing

solution is to buy a high powered desktop which is much cheaper

than a similar laptop. Then when you are on the road, time to whip

out the Ipad. Laptops just feel so nineties, there are better solutions

available today. If you need to create complex spread sheets or do

intensive Photoshop work while you are in a hotel room somewhere,

I agree that a laptop is needed. But for the average person, a pad

represents a much better solution. As well as being cheaper...

Not sure I would want to watch TV on a Pad/Tablet ?

As for -As well as being cheaper...-?? maybe you have worked out something different ?

when I looked, by the time you have bought a decent tablet + all the extras that would be needed, cost is around 30,000+ baht and still only have a 9 - 12 " screen..

for 30,000 baht you get a fairly good Laptop + a much bigger screen and option of plugging into a Monitor or TV screen

of course the tab is ideal, orders can simply be photo d and sent via Line, take a phone of something rare or no part number and send, for sure is old had to have to use a mobile and explain the orders over a phone these days......... but to record TV programs 24/7 ?