Papwork For Retirement Visa...

The paperwork for a Thai retirement visa in the US is long and clear, with copies in triplicates - and notarized - from banks, police etc. This gets quickly expensive and time-consuming.

I also read - on this board - that the LA Thai consulate is very picky on the paperwork and rejects many applications.

After reading a few of the posts on this board, I get feeling that dressing up nice - with a smile - and going down to the immigration office in Bangkok will take care of any visa applications in minutes, with minimal paperwork.

What are the facts; does the Thai government have the same paperwork requirement at the Bangkok immigration offices, as the Thailand consulates in the US? Or, are they more lax and easy in Bangkok?

For example, does the Thai immigration office require police reports from my home country, triplicate copies that are notarized etc? Twelve monthly notarized bank-statements to show monthly income - times three for triplicates - get expensive rather quickly.

What is easier; 1) processing the immigration paperwork in Bangkok, or 2) using Thai consulate in the US?

do it in thailand.

come into thailand on a non-imm visa and then change it to a retirement visa at the bangkok immigration department.

the paperwork is easy (letter from your embassy stating your address in thailand and good character,health cert. from a local doctor,bank statement showing required amount in place or coming in on a regular basis and a letter from the bank to show the money has come from abroad,couple of photos) and the process shouldn't take more than an hour.

(check the exact requirements on the thaivisa retirement webpage.)

it costs 1900 baht and they are helpful and friendly at the immigration office.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not plan to open a Bangkok bank account. I live off an ATM card, from an American bank. Is this an issue, if I can show copies (and orginals) of income in my American bank account? I understand that the regulations no longer requires to keep the money with a Thai bank in Thailand.

A side question: How about changing a 30 day tourist visa to a longer term tourist visa (say 60-90 days) - perhaps with multiple entries? Easier - and cheaper - in Bangkok, or at home with the Thai consulate?

Thaiquila, it is my understanding you can enter on a 30 day tourist visa and change to a retirement visa in Bangkok. (I am not totally sure about this.)

It appears the whole process is smoother and less papework in Bangkok that the US.

A tourist visa is 60 days. If you are talking 30 days it is entry without a visa and you can not convert that to a retirement visa. A tourist visa can be converted.

You are very unlikely to be approved for retirement visa without money in a bank located in Thailand. It may not have to be the full amount but some is very likely to be required.

No. You can not change a 30 day entry without visa to anything. You can usually extend you stay 10 days for 1,900 baht.

Thailover1.

From someone who has just recently completed the process and therefore has first hand experience.

Get a 90 day non immigrant "O" from your local consulate in U.S. and tell them you are planning to apply for retirement extension when you arrive in Thailand.

On arrival, open a local Thai bank savings account with with minimal amount.

Then transfer in MORE than Bt 800,000, do this by electronic funds transfer, this method provides a good "audit trail". (this is the easy way if this sum is available to you), otherwise you will need to get pension statement from your embassy in BKK for more than Bt 65,000 p.m. note that the immigration people 'appear' to prefer the cash in bank option. I say 800k on the assumption that you are not married to a Thai citizen.

Wait until you only have a month or so left on your 90 day "O".

Get basic doctor's certificate in Thailand, Bt 200 or so and lasts for 1 month.

Assuming the funds are in your Thai account get them to issue a statement of the fact showing the amount, this will cost you Bt 100 or so.

On the SAME day the bank statement is issued go to Thai immigration and get your 1 year extension.

You will also need 2 or 3 originals of the 'extension form' plus photocopies of passport ( details page + O visa page + T.M. arrival card), bank statement, medical. ( 2 copies of each )

Viola !

P.S. all the above assumes you are 50 yrs or more.

Note.

If your local Consulate gives you a hard time with the 90 day "O" come in on a 60 day tourist visa then go to Penang later (for the 90 day "O") and take it from there BUT have your money in the Thai bank before you go to Penang as they asked me for my bank statement in the Penang Consulate.

If your local Consulate gives you a hard time with the 90 day "O" come in on a 60 day tourist visa then go to Penang later (for the 90 day "O") and take it from there

You should not have to leave Thailand if you have a valid visa - currently immigration can change a tourist visa. As you say this is current information question what immigration office you used? That used to be the drill but most recent applicants seem to have been able to change visa status without a problem. Did you try? If you process paperwork in Bangkok you only need one copy of anything. Thanks for posting current experience.

Lopburi3.

No arguments with your comments.

1. Did try to change from tourist to "O" but answer was NO.

2. Probably required these photocopies as I did everthing in Pattaya and I guess they have to send a copy of everthing to Bangkok. Phuket also requires these photocopies, for the same reason I guess.

Naka

A question about the previous posts:

1) The Royal Thai Consulate says you do NOT need to post money into a Thai bank-account. It also says you do not need to show savings, only a minimum income of 65000 baht for 12 month.

Why do you guys say you need money in a Thai bank? I am confused - here is the link:

Non-Immigrant Retirement Visa requirements from the Royal Thai Consulate (in Los Angeles)

Another question about pension:

2) In the US you do not get a pension until you are about 65 years old. If I am still 50 years old - without a goverment pension, how can I show proof of income - what will THai immigraiton accept - for the purpose of the Thai retirement visa?

2) In the US you do not get a pension until you are about 65 years old. If I am still 50 years old - without a goverment pension, how can I show proof of income - what will THai immigraiton accept - for the purpose of the Thai retirement visa?

What source does your income come from ?

1) The Royal Thai Consulate says you do NOT need to post money into a Thai bank-account. It also says you do not need to show savings, only a minimum income of 65000 baht for 12 month.

They say you do not have to post money NOW into a Thai bank-account (you are not expected to have an account to post it into until you get here); but you asked about getting the visa here in Thailand and the money must be here in Thailand for that to happen. If you want to use LA rules you do it in LA. They say so very clearly on the website that only those residing in USA can use those rules. We have been answering your request for information on getting the visa here.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not plan to open a Bangkok bank account. I live off an ATM card, from an American bank. Is this an issue, if I can show copies (and orginals) of income in my American bank account? I understand that the regulations no longer requires to keep the money with a Thai bank in Thailand.

ThaiLover1,

Being an American citizen, you may have special rules and regulations, which non-US citizen does not. Non-US must open a bank account the first year; apparently you only need it, when renewing your first 12 months retrement visa. Also, according to the writings of the Thai Consulate you need proof of income from the US, for the first 12 months.

However, in reality, I will be surprised if the Thai Immigration officials will accept a copy of your statement from an American Bank. Moreover, in reality you will simplify your life having the bank account in Thailand showing the Baht 800,000 from the outset. But again, US citizen may be treated differently the first year.

Cheers.........kandt

2)  In the US you do not get a pension until you are about 65 years old.  If I am still 50 years old - without a goverment pension, how can I show proof of income  - what will THai immigraiton accept - for the purpose of the Thai retirement visa?

What source does your income come from ?

No answer was the stern reply.

I have income from several unrelated sources. I am curious what the Thai goverment will accept as income for retirement visa, since I do not yet have a government pension?

Also, I am sure the Thai government knows that most people around 50 years of age are still working for a living, and that very few lucky people retire by the age of 50. What gives?

1) Why setting the age for the Thai retirement visa at 50? Most people can not retire this early.

2) What constitutes proof of income for retirement visa purposes - not having a government pension?

I have income from several unrelated sources. I am curious what the Thai goverment will accept as income for retirement visa, since I do not yet have a government pension?

Also, I am sure the Thai government knows that most people around 50 years of age are still working for a living, and that very few lucky people retire by the age of 50. What gives?

1) Why setting the age for the Thai retirement visa at 50? Most people can not retire this early.

2) What constitutes proof of income for retirement visa purposes - not having a government pension?

Can you prove the 65000 baht a month. Like formal letter/s from the source/s ?

I HAVE JUST RECENTLY ARRIVED IN THAILAND WITH A OA RETIREMENT VISA AND IT WAS VERY EASY IN THE US TO GET ALL I HAD TO SHOW WAS TWO TAX FORMS SHOWING YEARLY INCOME VICE MONEY IN THE BANK. FOR EXTRA I INCLUDED TWO ATM RECEIPTS WHICH SHOW AVAIL BAL. THE VISA FOR BOTH THE WIFE AND I WERE ISSUED WITHIN 4 WORKING DAYS........EVEN THE POLICE REPORTS ONLY HAD TO SAY THAT THE LOCAL POLICE WOULD NOT RUN THE REPORT.

If you're going to obtain an O-A visa, that is a visa for retirement issued OUTSIDE Thailand, you don't have to open a bank account in Thailand until you approach the date (one year) for extension of your permission to stay. You do have to convince the Consulate or Embassy in the US or elsewhere, on applying for the O-A that you meet the financial requirements for the visa. You could contact the consulate/emabassy to see what is acceptable or you could simply submit the application and hope for the best. If it's rejected on the basis of insufficient documention of meeting the fianancial requirement you could reapply.

If you decide to obtain the retirement visa IN THAILAND you will obtain an O visa listing "retirement" as the reason for wanting the O visa in the US or elsewhere. (No financial information required to obtain this 90 day visa.) Then once in Thailand apply for a one year extension. In the case of US citizens you'll have to go to the US Embassy in Bangkok and sign a statement swearing that you have an income of X dollars per month. The Embassy staff will notarize your statement. There is NO requirment to show proof to verify your statement of income to the Embassy. (I'd think it would be impossible for the Embassy to have the ability to verify every kind of retirement income statement so they just don't do it. But, on the other hand the British Embassy does require some sort of documentation for proof of income when applying in Thailand from what I've heard.)

Problem is, Bangkok from my experience and that of others will not issue an extension of an O visa based solely in income. They want 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. It's my understanding that Pattaya and Chiang Mai will allow a mix of income and money in a Thai bank deposit to meet the financial requirements. I think I've also read here of one or two folks who've gotten extensions based on income only. But I would definitely not count on using income only to meet the financial requirements. You'll have to show some money in a Thai bank either when you apply for your extension of an O-A visa toward the end of your first year in Thailand or when you apply for the extension of the O visa for purpose of retirement. But, you won't have to document your monthly income.

-redwood

Redwood or anyone else, do you know if you could qualify in Thailand based on money in a Thai bank only? In that case, would you need any statement at all from your embassy? I plan to live on investments that I will periodically cash in, so I won't have an income per se.

For example, get a 90 day 0 visa in the US

Open Thai bank account

Transfer in over 800K baht

Appy for retirement visa in Thailand before the 90 days is up

Redwood or anyone else, do you know if you could qualify in Thailand based on money in a Thai bank only? In that case, would you need any statement at all from your embassy? I plan to live on investments that I will periodically cash in, so I won't have an income per se.

For example, get a 90 day 0 visa in the US

Open Thai bank account

Transfer in over 800K baht

Appy for retirement visa in Thailand before the 90 days is up

You can do it that way for certain, Transfer the funds from your US bank to the bank in Thailand to evidence that the money came from abroad.

Just a bit of background....when the retirement idea was first implemented in Thailand (roughly 15 years ago) it was for retired government officials, including military and the age was 55. The age was later reduced to 50 to attract more people who were on retirement pay or had sufficient savings and/or income and expanded to anyone who could qualify.

The first thing you have to do is meet the minimum requirements. You either need to put B800,000 (assuming you are single) in a Thai bank after you get here on a non-immigrant visa or be able to prove that you have monthly income in the amount of at least B65000.

As it appears you do not have a pension, then your only official option is to put the money in a bank account.

In my case, I am retired military and I am allowed to use an ATM machine with a U.S. credit card rather than doing a wire transfer monthly. However, I did get hassled badly about this a few years ago, because at that time the people at Immigration did not understand that the ATM translates dollars into baht, and when using the U.S. credit card, I was in fact bringing dollars into the country. It took some third party help to get this point acknowledged.

Although I cannot be sure, because it depends on who you deal with at Immigrationm (not to mention which day and at what time, how you behave there, etc.) it might just be possible to get a letter from your bank or banks to show that you have a lot of money or savings and a going business (that generates income without your presence, and that does not involve working in Thailand).

Having said that if you will not be able to show B800,000 in the bank every year you are going to take a large risk by trying to come over here and retire, because you will not be able to.

You will undoubtedly require an affadavit from the U.S. Embassy in which you attest that you have sufficient income, so you will need to show proof to the Embassy. Keep in mind also that the source of your money must be legitimate, and any letters you get from your banks should so indicate. Better yet,

I suggest you contact the U.S. Embassy Bangkok Acs Unit <[email protected]> and see what they say, keeping in mind that what they say tomorrow might change the next day.