Kao Tao: Cheapest 'fun' diving?

alt

We're in Kao Tao end of Dec for a few days to dive dive dive. We're both qualified (PADI & CMAS) so don't want to do a course, only to dive.

Last time I was there (2011) the cheapest place for dives was Phoenix divers.

Any idea if this is still the case?

Well given that most schools all go to the same location(s), I didn't think the quality mattered too much - We are experienced divers, hence price being the main objective.

That said, if anyone can recommend higher standard/quality diving then please do let me know. There's 2 of us so between us we'd happily book 10 dives to try to get a discount

A few off topic posts have been removed from view. Please stay on topic.

OP: given the changes going on there, I think your best bet is to do some research once you are there. I doubt the boats will be fully booked in advance and sometimes negotiating directly while there can get you better discounts.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Just do a quick search on this forum regarding the unresolved brutal murders of a young British couple in Koh Tao that occurred on Sept 15th 2014. The incident is unresolved and it is possible that there are killers on the loose in Koh Tao.

Until there is a satisfactory outcome to this then it is advised to avoid Koh Tao if you value your safety.

Edited by thailandchilli
  • Like 1

Why not do a liveaboard to the Similans, much better diving...

Yes, a possibility. But we are both mid 20's so want a bit of atmosphere/partying, too

So you want to risk getting your heads bashed in?

The murderers are still on the loose.

Koh Tao is run by some very bad gangs.

I wouldn't risk my gfs life there.

And also the diving business on koa Toa are owned by the Mafia families and thugs too so you will just be putting money into their corrupted pockets....

Wow - so many foreigners are thugs and mafia? And I thought that they were just running dive schools.coffee1.gif

You are obviously so well informed.

The OP asked for advice on a cheap dive school and look at all of the life advice being dumped on him. And by so many experts.

I would have thought that some of these rumours were offtopic.gif

BTW - I have no interest in Koh Tao and never go there anymore. But not for the reasons mentioned here. I just find the place boring and expensive. I would not fear for my safety there - nor that of my wife. I drive the roads of Koh Samui every day - now there is real danger.

(Sorry Craig - your post beat mine by a fraction. Delete this one if you thing it inappropriate.)

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Why not do a liveaboard to the Similans, much better diving...

Yes, a possibility. But we are both mid 20's so want a bit of atmosphere/partying, too

So you want to risk getting your heads bashed in?

The murderers are still on the loose.

Koh Tao is run by some very bad gangs.

I wouldn't risk my gfs life there.

What an amazing over-reaction to a sad and tragic event.

Do you have evidence for your 'facts'? (And I am not talking about the armchair on-line detective agency.) Sure there are questions - but as of today - no answers. You are just spreading the rumours.

Oh and by the way - please name a holiday destination where people have not been murdered. Not many places on the planet for you to take your gf are there?

I believe that the Antarctic is quite safe.

Koh Tao is as safe as most other places. Statistically - probably more safe. Especially now.

Over-reaction, oh you think??

Statistically speaking Koh Tao now probably falls into a high risk bracket for murders and rapes, given the size of its tiny population.

Evidence of facts? What facts were stated? That the killers are still on the loose, yes entirely possible, this is un resloved remember, no guilty parties have been found and there is international concern that the current investigation is unreliable.

I can assure you that with this back in the background of Koh Tao then anyone going there now should be aware of the risks.

Let me ask you a question, if you have a daughter would you let her go there for a holiday?

• Like 2

OK, before this thread turns into an ugly mess like many others regarding Tao, let's try to stay on topic. Plenty of other threads out there for more "lively" discussions.

wai2.gif

I'll let the last 2 posts stand, but the next off topic posts will be removed without warning and posting suspensions handed out.

• Like 1

This is the OP's second topic on Koh Tao in as many days. One might easily suspect this to be a "trial balloon" topic.

Why would one suspect that?

It could just be a coincidence that the OP first asked about Sairee Beach in general and now more specifically mentions Phoenix Diving, stating it is the cheapest one around. This last company being owned by the same family that owns certain bars on Sairee Beach and whose names keep popping up in the investigation into the double murder late September. Then of course there is the fact that Jdinasia suddenly takes an interest in this thread. Again, could just all be a coincidence.

This is the OP's second topic on Koh Tao in as many days. One might easily suspect this to be a "trial balloon" topic.

It could just be a coincidence that the OP first asked about Sairee Beach in general and now more specifically mentions Phoenix Diving, stating it is the cheapest one around. This last company being owned by the same family that owns certain bars on Sairee Beach and whose names keep popping up in the investigation into the double murder late September. Then of course there is the fact that Jdinasia suddenly takes an interest in this thread. Again, could just all be a coincidence.

Is JD still on a mission to provoke some defamation suits for his "friends on the Island", is he?

Is JD still on a mission to provoke some defamation suits for his "friends on the Island", is he?

No.

As stated before I have no connection to any conspiracy theories.

No

For the record I don't think you are the OP (despite his name). I do see you blatantly stirring up members here to try and get them to name and shame people on the island though for some reason.

No

For the record I don't think you are the OP (despite his name). I do see you blatantly stirring up members here to try and get them to name and shame people on the island though for some reason.

jdinasia has the best sense of humor on here. thumbsup.gif

No

LOL, where did I ask any questions that would require names?

Maybe not the cheapest option, but at least far away from the ´murder´ beach would be Tanote bay in the east, rather secluded with 2 dive schools if memory serves me right, Blacktip is one of them http://www.blacktipdiving.com/. Have a friend living there for about 5 years now (not affiliated with any dive school since he only does freediving!).

• Like 1