Problem with VISA Extension

I live in Khon Kaen, and until now I have been applying for a new VISA every year in the United States. This year I decided to try the One Year VISA Extension that I have seen discussed here many times. I departed for a visit to my mom for her birthday on September 17th and returned (landed) to Bangkok the evening of the 4th of November. My Retirement VISA was due to expire on 6 November. Before I left I got a "Permission to Re-Enter" at Khon Kaen Immigration. I then asked the Immigration Agent if it was acceptable to use a letter from my Credit Union instead od a "notarized letter from the uS Embassy, for retirement income verification? She said yes it was ok. So I got a letter from my Credit Union on their letterhead showing my retirement income and copies of three months statements showing the deposits verifying 0ver 200,00 Baht monthly deposits. I got back to Khon Kaen on the evening of the 5th and went there on the 6th. The Agent who helped (????) me refused to accept the letter, saying that I needed the certification letter notarized by the US Embassy in Bangkok. He said that I must have misunderstood the other agent. He offered to take care of the problem for 25,000 Bant... which I refused to pay. He also then asked to see my Thai Bank Books containing 800K Baht. I enplained to him that the requirements spelled out in the Thai website specified "either 800K in the Bank or 65K Baht per month in retirement funds which I clearly had exceeded.

He then told me that I had to get the certified letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok and return to Immigration in Khon Kaen and pay the "Overstay fee" or go to Vientiene Laos to apply for a VISA there, which I did not want to do. So I immediately got on the Embassy website to schedule and appointment for notary services... the earliest available was Monday. I have an appointment now for 9:30 AM.

I fly back to Khon Kane in time to go back to Immigration Monday afternoon (4 day over-stay).

My question(s) is/are: What is my best course of action(s)?

Will I still be able to get my extension with payment of the 4 day overstay?

My goal of course is the One Year Extension.

Thanks in advance for you help with this problem. I thought that I had all my ducks lined up, but I surely didn't?

Paz you were absolutely right. I went to Immigration in Khon Kaen today upon returning from Bangkok (US Embassy) and they charged me 2000 Baht for the overstay and granted my one year extension. Everything is ok now. Thanks for you help... Tim

• Like 2