Thai Tourism Ministry planning 'international celebrities selfies' campaign

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they hadn't announced this it would have been more effective; they could have pretended that the celebrities were there on holiday. Now anyone of note posting a picture of themselves in Thailand will purely arouse the suspicion that they've been paid to visit.

This woman needs moving to an inactive post very soon!

It's not a bad idea for Thailand. I think that it might be a bad idea for the celebrity. Nothing against them, or anybody else, choosing Thailand for their holiday. Supporting the unelected leadership in a country that has a poor reputation for tourist safety at the moment? I'll be interested to see who takes them up on their offer.

Money talks – and sings too.

If they hadn't announced this it would have been more effective; they could have pretended that the celebrities were there on holiday. Now anyone of note posting a picture of themselves in Thailand will purely arouse the suspicion that they've been paid to visit.

Taking selfies on her iPhone all day.

Prayuth!! I know that Madame Kobkarn is married to one of your fellow generals, but some damage-limitation is most urgently needed!! NOW!!

I think you'll find she is married to a Police Major General...and has 2 children..........

It's not a bad idea for Thailand. I think that it might be a bad idea for the celebrity. Nothing against them, or anybody else, choosing Thailand for their holiday. Supporting the unelected leadership in a country that has a poor reputation for tourist safety at the moment? I'll be interested to see who takes them up on their offer.

Already been going on for a while with a number of celebs...

wow, i've never seen that before. very sad.

• Like 1

Forget about selfies. Just promise every visitor to enjoy an inactive post for a day with everything it entails and you will have a never-ending stream of tourists arriving whilst promoting Thainess at the same time. There you go, no charge...smile.png

Looks like you didn't get this. coffee1.gif

The point is not whether something changes or not, but to be seen to be doing something regardless of failure or success. She seems to have succeeded in this and will soon be promoted, I guess. blink.png

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am surprised they don't form a " hub of selfies"

"Kobkarn cited the example of American singer Mariah Carrey's recent concert in Bangkok, in which "she took photos with the concert-goers and wrote a message that expressed her feeling of being impressed with Thailand."

However, a search on Ms. Carrey's Twitter and Facebook accounts did not turn up such remarks."

I think they may be going for the "hub of stupid ideas" or the "hub of easily exposed lies".

Not least that any artist manager of any substance is going to a.) ask whether being associated with this sort of government is good for the artist's career (answers of less than 3 letters starting with N are in order), and b.) if they got past the first objection, would want to know how much they were going to get for this - plugging a country is worth a mil or two.

The Indonesian government, when they were as broken as the current lot here, tried a similar thing a few years back with involuntary endorsements. It cost them a pretty penny.

Edited by Snig27
  • Like 1

Already been going on for a while with a number of celebs...

Seeing another side to you JTJ your post is sort of off topic but well done for posting!

I've heard a lot about this but as they say I didn't know it was so large scale.

• Like 1

I don't understand how this woman has been the successful President of Toshiba Thailand.

Obviously that was an inherited position, and now she's in a connected position, as Thailands Minister of Tourism.

But.....to date, she has only exhibited her total lack of understanding of tourism!

• Like 1

What i understand from this is that celebreties travel throughout Thailand with an expense account and start making selfies of themselves. Is this going to attract any tourists? Wake up lady !!

I would love to be a fly on the wall during these brainstorming sessions.

Ah part of the quality tourist push. Get celebs from around the world to take selfies beside the mange ridden soil dogs and rubbish in the streets. Yep that will work and encourage other prestige tourists to flock. How much is TAT willing to pay each celeb to come and promote Thailand.

• Like 1

Mariah Carey??? Anyone clever enough to google what she "demands" to be in her dressing room and hotel suite would know she's a raving control freak !!

Yes... TAT will need to open the check book for this one.

Associate tells me that base fees for in demand talent ranges from $350,000.00 to $1,000.000.00 and typically does not include travel and lodging expense, along with a slew of other demanded/requested fees.

Typical air travel for in demand talent is by private charter jet and not Thai Air.

Flat rate charter is least expensive at $6,000.00/Super-Mid to $7,500.00/Large per hour based on round trip.

Will be some very expensive (selfies). Cannot wait to see the associated ROI...

• Like 1

She is doing more harm for tourism in Thailand than promoting it!!

I am sure the PM/General has already stated those ministers not up to the task would possibly be given the boot, well give this buffoon a pair so she can march back into her home and stay there !!!