My Loi Krathong story.

Costas2008

We put our flower in the Canal with many others. 2 Metres further down a group of guys in a dingy was catching them and destroying them looking for the 5 Baht coin people put inside.In clear full view of everyone.No-one seemed to care,I warned them to leave ours alone.....Once again I'm doing and thinking different to those around me.

I saw precisely this last year at Benjakiti Park in Bangkok. Right next to the floaters a couple of low-lifes were hooking the krathongs to the bank and stealing the coins, time after time. Nobody said anything. After yonks in Thailand, this still utterly amazed me. The thieving of your wish happens under your nose and you say nothing. Why? Is it craven fear? Is it the avoidance of confllct? If people don't want to do anything themselves, surely they could find a park official and complain to him?

For me, it was one of those cases where I almost had a go myself, but had enough restraint to tell myself "it's not your business", an essential asset for a Westerner in this country.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loi Krathong was quite nice in Mukdahan. The traffic was OK approaching the Mekong River. Very short wait. The wife has gotten my message about finding a parking spot a few blocks away and then walking. There was a nice floating pier going out into the river and people were restricted to 50 at one time. Well organised. The stair down to the pier were very hazardous but i did not see or hear any upsets as everyone was moving quite slowly and carefully.

Missed the sky lanterns as everyone seemed to be obeying the new guidelines. I think only a few Farang were executed in Mukdahan after launching their lanterns. You likely won't hear about it as they were summarily shot on the spot and the bodies were whisked away for fear of damaging the tourist industry.

We ate at a restaurant and the wife was happy that she had carried out the annual ritual which seems to have so much meaning to Thai people. Thank the water and say sorry for fouling the water all year. At least that was the wife's version of the event.

Next year I will start my own tradition and wish everyone happy Loi Krathong all day long. So Merry Loi Krathong everyone.