Are Farang and Russians the same to Thais?

infinity11

Yes and no. I'm pretty sure farang is a term used to describe any caucasian foreigner. But most Thais that have been around foreigners a bit seem to have opinions about specific nationalities. For example, I'm not sure it it's still the case, but there was a time when some businesses here- just a few- wouldn't serve Israelis.

• Like 1

Yes and no. I'm pretty sure farang is a term used to describe any caucasian foreigner. But most Thais that have been around foreigners a bit seem to have opinions about specific nationalities. For example, I'm not sure it it's still the case, but there was a time when some businesses here- just a few- wouldn't serve Israelis.

The same with a trekking tour in Chiang Mai a while ago.

Maybe it was more than one, but one that I know of for sure.

The conduct of so many of them made them unwelcome customers.

• Like 2

I will hazard a guess that many Thai people would called Russian people "farang / ฝรั่ง" due to their overly occidental appearance and foreign tongues.

I think a better question to pose for this almost think-tank like atmosphere of intellectualism is "Are Khmer and Laotians the same to Farang"

Some times by employing cross cultural empathy, breaking down (Berlin) walls, and other worrisome barriers we are able to arrive at interesting yet revealing conclusions. Don't sell yourself short.

• Like 1

Most Russians are Asian, so no.

We're talking race/ethnicity/skin color NOT geography.

Yes and after heavy dna testing it apears youre peoples origin does not come from the middle east ,the promised land.....

Trolls follow the arrow

post-216015-0-54796000-1415454069_thumb.

Edited by konying
  • Like 1

Yes and after heavy dna testing it apears youre peoples origin does not come from the middle east ,the promised land.....

Leave the Jewish demonization lies to a thread remotely related to Jews or Israel ... OK?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, I thought that most Russians identified themselves as Slavs. Various groups have invaded or migrated to Russia but the biggest invasion was by the Ostrogoths who built a huge empire from the Dnieper to the Volga and from the Black Sea to the Baltic shores in the 3rd and 4th centuries.

But practically speaking "farang" is derived from "Farangsaed" which means French. The term is applied to anyone who is not seen to be from a particular country such as China (khon jiin.) People quite distinct from one another such as Vietnamese and Thai are referred to in the US as "Asians" so I guess it's fair enough to call the bunch of us farangs.

• Like 1

Yes but before i follow the arrow try discussing dna testing and origins with national geographic ......

Trolls follow the arrow

attachicon.gifGet-Out-Sign.jpg

Not much difference between some rude Russians and the footy head shaved casual crew from the UK who landed in Thailand before them,cheap airtravel should be banned for neantherthals from council estates.....they ruined the place.

What place have they "ruined"?

If you ask any Thai working in the tourist areas, there's a big difference between Russkies and farang. They dont speak a word engllish , so they can tell the difference just by talking to them. Then they know what to expect, no tip , no smiles, and a rudee behaviour.

Amen Brother!!!!