No reports of crimes using new electronic card-skimmers

Lite Beer

No reports of crimes using new electronic card-skimmers
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Economic Crime Suppression Division yesterday affirmed that the new method of electronic card-skimmer crime - in which a device smaller than a palm is used to steal card information via contact - was not yet in Thailand.

ECD deputy commander Pol Colonel Kitti Sapaothong was responding to a YouTube video that shows how the device works and a subsequent rumour that it was already in Thailand.

He said there had been no reports of crimes using the device and that the ECD had already dispatched officers to China so they could become familiar with new skimmer tricks.

ECD 5 deputy chief Lt-Colonel Jakkrit Seributr said the agency had worked closely with banks to prevent skimmer crime and so far no bank had reported an offence occurring with the new device.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-reports-of-crimes-using-new-electronic-card-ski-30247329.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-09

What they should be looking at is the RFID skimming techniques.

Someone can walk past you in the street, or stand next to you in a crowd and skim the details off the card without even touching your card.

The scammers are always one step ahead of the game.

Edited by RustBucket
  • Like 2

In Canada they sell little sleeve to put your card in and it is a shield for radio frequency. This will not happen if everyone were shifting to chip cards, all my cards have chips, but they still have a magnetic strip to support countries like USA and Thailand and other countries. USA is currently starting to implant chip cards.

Cards without RFID embedded are not at risk.

When I first saw the "pay wave" RFID card thing, I thought it was a dumb, vulnerability and struck me as the next step toward an uber-lazy society. Can't even muster up the energy to swipe a card. LOL.

Edited by 55Jay

In Canada they sell little sleeve to put your card in and it is a shield for radio frequency. This will not happen if everyone were shifting to chip cards, all my cards have chips, but they still have a magnetic strip to support countries like USA and Thailand and other countries. USA is currently starting to implant chip cards.

You can buy a wallet or bag here that shields. They are expensive (imported), but you can get them. Pacsafe I think is the name of the brand I have for my small bag. Also has a cord in the strap so it can't be easily cut. But a little card sleeve would be nice.

I had my Mastercard with RFID, chip and mag stripe scanned somewhere.

I departed Canada, then traveled through USA, Germany to Thailand, where I spent 2 months. When I arrived in Frankfurt Germany, upon my return trip, I tried to buy something at the duty free shop but the card had been disabled. I never used the card anywhere since leaving Canada, never pulled it out of my wallet. When I got back to Canada, the card issuer said the card had been disabled because their fraud detection system detected purchases I normally don't make, they tried to contact to me and were unable to, so they disabled the card.

Now I use an aluminum jacket on my cards and my passport.

Edited by cigar7

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/07/the-rise-of-thin-mini-and-insert-skimmers/

Googling "new atm card skimming technology" produced a couple articles from June/July this year. I'm not sure if this is the OP's "new electronic card skimmers". It seems to be the same thing, just made smaller and harder to detect.

I generally use the ATM of my branch office and when away, still make the effort to use one connected to a bank. Even at the bank ATM and for sure at random stand alones if I have to use one, I do a 3 point inspection, takes about 8-10 seconds.

1. Touch and try to jimmy the card slot, then bend down and look inside it for anything that doesn't look like it belongs there.

2. Touch and jimmy the key pad with fingertip and fingernail, looking for an unnatural connection seam to the console.

3. Visually inspect, touch, jimmy the sides and upper areas of the ATM console looking for false fronts that might conceal a pin hole camera.

3a. After watching some skimmer ATM video footage the other day, I now take a step back and look up and around the area for a camera or something that doesn't look like it belongs.

The skimmer video I referred to was highly critical of people who made no effort to cover the keypad, which was the vast majority of users. Also good to note the various camera angles. Not always a top down view.

Good YT videos, only a couple minutes each. Refreshed my awareness, easy to get complacent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLPGeB3C1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1_y_SASs0