New beach walkway is indeed a disaster!

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why have a "go" at SUV owners.......????

What has that got to do with the condition of the Promenade ........????

just askingwai.gif

Because most of them are reckless jerks - Both Thai and foreigner. And the extra lane just gives them more freedom to continue being just that, reckless jerks.

May as well throw in all the minivan drivers too. The promenade is only one year old and already a shambles.

Also the "on ramps" just invite the local lowlifes to drive motorbikes on the promenade..

The only benefit is for the big touring companies (who have taken over control of Pattaya City ) with the extra lane that is included in overall project.

Morrobay, maybe if you poor walkers/jerks who don/t have a 'pot to piss in' got out of the way, it would be easier for us to drive down.............see, how strange that is, generalising about people/things that are not relevant, seem so wrong to me but then again, maybe you fit my description!whistling.gif

Edited by lemel

just askingwai.gif

Because most of them are reckless jerks - Both Thai and foreigner. And the extra lane just gives them more freedom to continue being just that, reckless jerks.

May as well throw in all the minivan drivers too. The promenade is only one year old and already a shambles.

Also the "on ramps" just invite the local lowlifes to drive motorbikes on the promenade..

The only benefit is for the big touring companies (who have taken over control of Pattaya City ) with the extra lane that is included in overall project.

OK ....

So why not ask the council to designate the "extra" lane for pedestrians.....and leave the dangerous "Prom" for SUV drivers.....most of whom have 4WD and can deal with uneven ground

I'll think about changing my "Thumb-print" to.........."Reckless DD13"..............even though I try to be a careful driver

NB.

Don't forget that SUV owners sit considerably higher than car drivers, which gives us a better chance of seeing what is ahead of us, and a chance to avoid hitting pedestrians

• Like 1

Those who have lived here a while will know that any form of construction here is pretty poor, and roads and footpaths are the worst, they do not have a clue how to do it properly, compaction of fill is unheard of and correct fill is never used. and most of the cash goes in brown envelopes to corrupt officials.

Let's hope that now "brown envelopes" are said to be history..........all manner of things will improve........for the betterment of all people....

Are you certain it was not designed to look this way?

It sounds exactly like every other project in Thailand--it might very well be by design.

Thats the problem, it was deigned to look that way. As the OP said : designed by incompetents and constructed by incompetents. Thats why its a disaster.

For example they did not even install re-enforcing iron rods in the new slapped on seawall. And the North to South long - shore current has not even started yet.

" ... designed by incompetents and constructed by incompetents. Thats why its a disaster."

No. It's designed by the inscrutable and constructed by the inscrutable. That's why it's a disaster.

The issue here regarding the extra lane, as stated in the OP, is that it is more difficult to cross Beach rd.for pedestrians with the increased traffic (whether they own a vehicle or not)

The solution , as I have stated ad nauseam, are pedestrian overpasses. My above post does not apply to safe drivers.

Edited by morrobay

The Monger God must intervene!biggrin.png

If the mongers spend less on girls but more on cars or bikes they would not have to walk. City hall knows this and has decided that its their own choice to be a lowly pedestrian and does not want to pay for their comfort. biggrin.png

So the cheap pedestrian stays an endangered species but by its own choice. biggrin.png

Why help those that don't even help themselves.. besides this way there is more money to line their pockets and pay for their mia nois. Why pay for a farang his pleasure

So I agree only the Monger God can help cheesy.gif

• Like 1

The issue here regarding the extra lane, as stated in the OP, is that it is more difficult to cross Beach rd.for pedestrians with the increased traffic (whether they own a vehicle or not)

The solution , as I have stated ad nauseam, are pedestrian overpasses. My above post does not apply to safe drivers.

Pedestrian overpasses are a waste of money. Most people wont use them because they are never convenient. You then have a few almost never used safe passes while most of the pedestrians still not use them causing traffic to go slower.

My above post does not apply to the minority of safety minded pedestrians.

On a serious note.. I really see people crossing roads often only a 100 meters from a pedestrian bridge so what is the point then ?. Maybe allow the police to fine pedestrians that cross the road in a 500 meter radius of an pedestrian bridge. Would be a nice new hunting ground for police.

Those who have lived here a while will know that any form of construction here is pretty poor, and roads and footpaths are the worst, they do not have a clue how to do it properly, compaction of fill is unheard of and correct fill is never used. and most of the cash goes in brown envelopes to corrupt officials.

Let's hope that now "brown envelopes" are said to be history..........all manner of things will improve........for the betterment of all people....

Oh to have your optomism.biggrin.png

• Like 1

In your dreams brown envelopes are alive and well just being given to a new set of corrupt officials, nothing will ever change . it is too ingrained in the thai way of life..

• Like 1

Pedestrian overpasses are a waste of money. Most people wont use them because they are never convenient. You then have a few almost never used safe passes while most of the pedestrians still not use them causing traffic to go slower.

On a serious note.. I really see people crossing roads often only a 100 meters from a pedestrian bridge so what is the point then ?. Maybe allow the police to fine pedestrians that cross the road in a 500 meter radius of an pedestrian bridge. Would be a nice new hunting ground for police.

Waste of money ? Its the option to safe crossing in a country where the locals drive through red lights even when pedestrians are in crossing

Now those traffic lights are the waste of money. So pedestrian overpasses are not convenient? Obviously some people around here dont do much walkiing

And overpasses make traffic go slower ??

If I wanted to spend money on cars I would have stayed in California. But in this town there are better things to do than driving around in circles all day

* And maybe its time to get back on topic.

Edited by morrobay

Have you seen any cash go into officials hands under the table ? If not, your just parroting what others allege. They also have not witnessed any changing of money.

Waste of money ? Its the option to safe crossing in a country where the locals drive through red lights even when pedestrians are in crossing

Now those traffic lights are the waste of money. So pedestrian overpasses are not convenient? Obviously some people around here dont do much walkiing

And overpasses make traffic go slower ??

If I wanted to spend money on cars I would have stayed in California. But in this town there are better things to do than driving around in circles all day

* And maybe its time to get back on topic.

Yes they are a waste of money.. sorry that I don't agree with you. Just look near overpasses and see that people often dont even walk 100 meter to go to an overpass, only a few people will use it the rest will still use the roads to pass. So its a waste of money, personally I would use an overpass but from experience most don't.

I am fine with overpasses if they then let the police hunt for people crossing the road near overpasses without using the overpass.

In your dreams Sir

One of the biggest problems Thailand has with "Projects" they build or at least the projects I've seen in Pattaya, is a complete lack of scheduled maintenance. They actually can build some really nice looking features from time to time, but they have zero plans in place to do periodic maintenance. I guess they think they can build it to last forever and never have to revisit it.

In addition, they do seem to have a lack of qualified engineers in the city or maybe some departments think their project is so easy it does not need to be run by the engineers.

As many of you have said its called corruption, if it was built to last 10 years that is 10 years of corruption lost,, as in this case and many roads are built to last 1 or 2 years then repair , government pay for the repairs say 10 million after the cut there is only 1 to 2 million left for the repairs, this is done over and over and over nice little earner for someone. I think they know exactly what they are doing it just seems to some of you they don't !!!!!!!wai.gif

Edited by Dublin

Another reason for me to continue avoiding Pattaya as I have since 1993. It was nice in the early 80s, though, a low-rise town for low-income low-lifes, loved it.

You haven't been since 1993 so you obviously have NO IDEA what you're talking about.cheesy.gif

It has now become the hub of hiso Jewish weddings!

At the Hilton!

That's a highrise.coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

just askingwai.gif

Also the "on ramps" just invite the local lowlifes to drive motorbikes on the promenade.

sorry.gif I am one of those lowlifes. Can I make it up to you ??? I know I promise not to buy a SUV, smile.png