Do I have to have tax receipts for marriage visa extension?

Hi everyone,

I have scoured the internet but keep finding different information so thought I would try the wise TV people. I apologise in advance for the boring nature of my questions. (There is more than just the header but it just wouldn't fit otherwise.)

I am British but married to a Thai lady and am on a non-o multiple entry visa. I just got a job and a work permit. My first 90 day visa run needs to be done this Saturday (15th) but I was hoping to get a one year marriage extension before that. I only started work a few days ago (once I got the 1 year work permit) so obviously don't have the tax forms yet. I know I am cutting this close.

I am 42 and live in Bangkok.

My questions:

1/ Are the tax forms absolutely essential? I have a letter from work stating that I work there, my job description, and that my base salary is over 50,000baht a month but don't have 3 months' taxes.

2/ I have the following: a wedding certificate from the UK, passport, wife's ID and house book, letters from work stating salary and employment, and copies of all these, signed. (Also photos, TM7 etc). Do I need all these translated and stamped certified by a government office? (I'll be going to Chaengwattana.)

3/ Given that I have a multi non o I am tempted to just do a visa run and worry about all this in another 60 days. Given that my work permit is separate from my visa, that is a valid (if slightly lazy) way to postpone all this, right?

Is my list complete? I looked on the other threads and think it is apart from the possible issues mentioned of lack of taxes and certified documents.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I also apologise for the huge boredom induced by my visa questions. I really did look at a lot of sites and they are often out of date/contradictory.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Yes you need evidence of earning Bt 40,000 with tax receipts. You also need to register your marriage in Thailand for which you will need a translated and legalized copy, as well an affidavit/letter from your embassy.

You can extend for 60 days at immigration for a fee of Bt. 1,900 while you obtain all the document for the year-long extension.

Alternatively at each entry you are allowed 90 days extensible for 60 days as above.

Edited by paz

I feared as much, thank you paz. Most appreciated.

I think I will do a visa run as I will need 3 months' tax forms and I don't get paid for a couple of weeks. So then in February I should have the necessary forms from three monthly paydays.

I guess once all the certification/embassy/translation stuff is done I will at least be sorted from this point on.

Thanks again. If we ever cross paths I'll buy you a beer.

Cheers.

I think I will do a visa run as I will need 3 months' tax forms and I don't get paid for a couple of weeks. So then in February I should have the necessary forms from three monthly paydays.

I guess once all the certification/embassy/translation stuff is done I will at least be sorted from this point on.

No problem. cheers!

Cheers.

Tax forms are essential using this route.

You don't necessarily need 3 months worth of PND 1s, in my area (Phuket) you only need the most recent, but they want to see your PND 91 (annual tax return) as evidence of annual tax paid on income (full one year income is 480,000 THB).

If you can prove that you have only just entered the country and were not working in the previous tax year, then you may be ok.

You also need to register your overseas marriage at Amphoe.

You will need evidence of address, landlord's signature/ID Card/Tabien Baan. Also Photos together outside the house and a map showing how to get there.

Cheers.

When you register your marriage at the Amphoe they will issue a Kor Ror 22 that immigration will want a copy of when you apply for the extension.

You will need to do a self certification of your marriage certificate by way of a statement at the UK embassy. Then you will need to have the statement and your marriage certificate translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. The translation service can get the MFA certification done for you.

Then you can go to the Amphoe. They will update your wife house book and she will have the choice of taking your name for her ID card or keeping her own.

Yikes. Thanks Digitalchromakey and Ubonjoe. Looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me. I know the benefits of a one year extension but right now am feeling quite fond of the multi non o. I don't mind visa runs.

We just bought a condo outright (which is why I don't have the funds for the 400,000 option) so we have deeds and can take photos. We had to get marriage certificate translated and (I think) also certified. I will ask them to do the MFA thing anyway, thanks for that advice.

I will have three months' worth of tax forms by the time I try for the extension so as you said, I will explain I haven't been here that long.

Again thank you all for your help. Nice to have some clear advice on this.