Did i break the law? (defamation/cheating girl)

razorramone

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ignore it. What personal details of yours does she have

Address, number, all the usual. She has certainly been to the police, she took photos there along with some sort of report.

I would like to go to the appointment, because perhaps I'll get the 30 grand back which she tricked me out of. She says I 'damaged her reputation' by posting about it on facebook. But I'm not the one who was sleeping around? I don't think I'm in the wrong, but this is thailand, i know the laws here are quite different from back home. I did make posts baring all the details which all her FB friends could see.

(For some context, I'm 25 and working here for 3 years now, she's a first year college student. I thought too young to trick me for money!).

Edited by razorramone
  • Like 1

Do you really think you can get your money back?

Better go and consult a lawyer than asking for advice here. Just to let you know there are some real police for hire in Thailand,so cannot advise more as you know better how connected she could be.

• Like 2

Animatic is right. In the West, truth is an absolute defense against defamation, and defamation isn't a crime. At most it's a civil matter with monetary penalties if any penalties at all (if you are sued.)

In Thailand truth is no defense and defamation is a crime.

I think you may have to settle this with the police, out of court, and the police taking a cut.

The loan is irrelevant.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Yep. Sounds like a case of defamation. Sorry to say this, but you got yourself in quite some trouble with this one. Thing is that it is not just a civil case she could file but the police could also make a criminal charge. First thing to check if her Facebook profile was set to private or public. If the first you may get a break as 'only' her friends saw your post. Anyway get yourself a good lawyer before you do anything further. And remove the post on this forum in which you admit wrongdoing. You then could claim your Facebook was hacked. (Long shot). Good luck.

So out of curiousity and not wanting to wait till thursday, I took a taxi to the station just now. I didnt get much out of them... just a confirmation to come back thursday to 'talk' with the girl, me, an officer, and her.

Now looking at these posts talking about defamation is illegal here, even if its true. If there was a criminal charge they would have had me there, right?

• Like 1

So out of curiousity and not wanting to wait till thursday, I took a taxi to the station just now. I didnt get much out of them... just a confirmation to come back thursday to 'talk' with the girl, me, an officer, and her.

Now looking at these posts talking about defamation is illegal here, even if its true. If there was a criminal charge they would have had me there, right?

No, that will ...hopefully not....be done at the meeting thursday.....

You better make sure you have a respected thai person coming along with you.

Be wary of a translator ordered to come by the police.

Good luck and do not underestimate the whole lot.

• Like 2

I'm calling troll but at this time of night i'm bored so here's my 2p:

1) The OP is under no obligation to report to a police station & certainly not without a summons or arrest.

2) Translations work two ways. Their (police) competence at deciphering anything allegedly written on FB etc will need to be supported by adequate qualification in the English language-Roti sellers an' all that.

3) Don't sign anything you cannot read & don't part company with your passport.

TROLL smile.png

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

I'm calling troll but at this time of night i'm bored so here's my 2p:

1) The OP is under no obligation to report to a police station & certainly not without a summons or arrest.

2) Translations work two ways. Their (police) competence at deciphering anything allegedly written on FB etc will need to be supported by adequate qualification in the English language-Roti sellers an' all that.

TROLL smile.png

Troll or not, this is a good warning to others who may consider committing such reckless acts without thought and in anger, which could end up costing them dear.

My advice is; beware of what you publish on facebook, social networking sites and in the public domain, because eventually it could all come right back and smack you in the face.

In my day the common logic was; if you`re going to do the sneaky deeds, don`t leave any evidence and always be discrete.

• Like 2

Not sure about Thailand but in some jurisdictions truth is not an absolute defense, often public interest is required too. If you can demonstrate that she scammed you (e.g. convinced you she was loyal to you in order to get money from you) then you should also file a report for this - this is fraud and she can be compelled by law to repay any money that can be proven. This in conjunction with your evidence should also be a sufficient defense against her defamation suit (i.e. you're trying to protect others from her scam).

How old are you, razorramone? I'm tempted to state that you deserve everything that's coming your way, that's if this's a serious thread at all.

Posting hearsay about a girl on FB is the work of an ill-tempered and insecure child.

If you're being serious, then you're not going to be the victor in this instance and taking a financial hit at the offices of the BIB is your best bet to extricate yourself from future potential problems. There are those that'll hit you in its severest form for far less, particularly in Thailand.

Perhaps, but I think he did a good job at getting back at her, it definitely seems to have worked lol! At least he's doing a favour warning any potential victims on her friends list..

• Like 1

Just ignore it. What personal details of yours does she have

Address, number, all the usual. She has certainly been to the police, she took photos there along with some sort of report.

I would like to go to the appointment, because perhaps I'll get the 30 grand back which she tricked me out of. She says I 'damaged her reputation' by posting about it on facebook. But I'm not the one who was sleeping around? I don't think I'm in the wrong, but this is thailand, i know the laws here are quite different from back home. I did make posts baring all the details which all her FB friends could see.

(For some context, I'm 25 and working here for 3 years now, she's a first year college student. I thought too young to trick me for money!).

Screw the 30 grand, it could end up costing you that and more.

Change locations and write it off to experience. When Thai women lose face they are ferocious in wishing revenge.

• Like 1

30K baht or some other currency ?

Please clarify once and for all -- have you received any official summons or other communication directly from police ? Why do you say "apparently" you have to meet her there ?

If you can't answer this you aren't thinking clearly and either way you might need professional legal counsel.

How old are you, razorramone? I'm tempted to state that you deserve everything that's coming your way, that's if this's a serious thread at all.

Posting hearsay about a girl on FB is the work of an ill-tempered and insecure child.

If you're being serious, then you're not going to be the victor in this instance and taking a financial hit at the offices of the BIB is your best bet to extricate yourself from future potential problems. There are those that'll hit you in its severest form for far less, particularly in Thailand.

he will have a biger problem when her brother finds out.his feelings will be hurt.best you get on your horse and leave town while you are still in one piece.