Reagan's apology to Thatcher over Grenada revealed

webfact

Reagan's apology to Thatcher over Grenada revealed

(BBC) A recorded conversation between an apologetic Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher over the invasion of Grenada has been published for the first time.

"We regret very much the embarrassment that's been caused to you," the US leader said during the call.

Baroness Thatcher was angered that she was not consulted before the Americans invaded a Commonwealth state.

United States troops were sent to Grenada in 1983 to topple the Caribbean island's Marxist regime.

While US forces were still in action, the president phoned Lady Thatcher to explain the action he had taken.

"If I were there, Margaret," he said, "I'd throw my hat in the door before I came in."

The saying refers to an Civil War-era practice in which a visitor might throw his hat in to a room before entering - if he was unwelcome, it might be thrown out again or even shot at.

"There's no need for that," Lady Thatcher replied.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29986729

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-11

Ronny & the Iron Lady made a great team back in their day.

Years ago (like 40 - when I was a kid), a family friend went home drunk, as he was oft wont to do...

His wife was known to get quite physical on such occasions, so he tossed his hat in the door first.

She knew the trick though & waited for him, and knocked him out cold with a large wrench to the back of his head when he stuck his head thru the door.

I was only about 8 years old at the time, but recall seeing the stitches on the back of his head clap2.gif

Better than getting a part of one's anatomy fed to ducks though I suppose.

• Like 1

Thatcher was also reported to have tapped her head and told one of her aides that there was nothing in there referring to the President, I think she got that right. I recall watching him in one debate where he stopped half way through answering an economics question not sure whether he was meant to be for or against it. Reagan got away with it as he got away with many gaffes.

• Like 1

Anyone who believes the U S has caused more bad than good in the world is a fool. Now all you liberal yank haters can vent your rage at my post. Something to do rather than enjoy a lovely day and count your blessings.

So anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fool? What a very nice person. Not Christian by any chance are you?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

A moron will demonstrate his lack of intelligence and inability to communicate in a civilized manner by insulting the person who disagrees with him

G. Weed

So nice to hear from the weed. How much have you smoked in your academic carreer?

Anyone who believes the U S has caused more bad than good in the world is a fool. Now all you liberal yank haters can vent your rage at my post. Something to do rather than enjoy a lovely day and count your blessings.

Don't bring George Dubbya into the conversation.

I don't question the good-bad overall balance but as a left of center type and student of history, I also cannot deny some mistakes along the way. Some of which seem to have been relatively clear at the time of their making or certainly, shortly after letting the testosterone poisoning take the lead over reasoned thought.

Not so much testosterone as $$$.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Standard US policy, even today. Act first, apologise later.

Can you point to specific US military actions since President Reagan where the US took unilateral major military action without building a coalition (however limited), consultation with its allies, and/or NATO/UN? On the other hand you have Russia whose standard poilicy seems to be Act First, then Deny Acting at all.

• Like 1

Not the only time they crossed swords. She told him to mind his own business when he offered to act as an intermediary over The Falklands.

----------------------

For your information, when the U.K. wanted to take action in the Falklands they were chagrined to realize that all the Admiralty charts they had of the Falklands were way out of date.

They put in an Emergency request to the U.S. Defense Mapping Authority for updated charts.

They got them from the U.S, from new satellite map data

I understand they were quite valuable to them as the ones they had were over 20 years old before they got new charts from the Yanks.

I can tell you this with some confidence, because one of my friends was involved in the affair.

• Like 1

Not the only time they crossed swords. She told him to mind his own business when he offered to act as an intermediary over The Falklands.

----------------------

For your information, when the U.K. wanted to take action in the Falklands they were chagrined to realize that all the Admiralty charts they had of the Falklands were way out of date.

They put in an Emergency request to the U.S. Defense Mapping Authority for updated charts.

They got them from the U.S, from new satellite map data

I understand they were quite valuable to them as the ones they had were over 20 years old before they got new charts from the Yanks.

I can tell you this with some confidence, because one of my friends was involved in the affair.

Had the islands moved in the preceding 20 years? :P

Standard US policy, even today. Act first, apologise later.

yep , works just fine ..... huh ... please do not tear up , it is ok these days to be a crybaby , just let it flow.... yes that's it ......do not stop until we learn our lesson . so little time sooo many whiny fools .. keep it up , almost there

• Like 1

Don't bring George Dubbya into the conversation.

Dubya at least saved us from Al Gore!

• Like 1

So anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fool? What a very nice person. Not Christian by any chance are you?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

A moron will demonstrate his lack of intelligence and inability to communicate in a civilized manner by insulting the person who disagrees with him

G. Weed

So nice to hear from the weed. How much have you smoked in your academic carreer?

Not only do you call me a fool, now you're suggesting I am, or was, a drug user to boot. While I could question your analytic skills, I have no desire to be regarded as a bully. Therefore I will refrain from engaging an unarmed person in a battle of wits

LoL....have a nice day.

• Like 1

Thatcher was also reported to have tapped her head and told one of her aides that there was nothing in there referring to the President, I think she got that right. I recall watching him in one debate where he stopped half way through answering an economics question not sure whether he was meant to be for or against it. Reagan got away with it as he got away with many gaffes.

That's because he was a better actor than a President

• Like 1

Spitting Images sketches spring to mind. "The president's brain is missing."

• Like 2

I'm sure the people of Laos agree with you.

• Like 2

That's how he became president. He could read a script and sound convincing even when he didn't understand it.

• Like 2

That's how he became president. He could read a script and sound convincing even when he didn't understand it.

Saw an interview recently with former Aus PM Bob Hawke who said whenever he visited Regan he had little crib cards he would read off when discussing issues.

Which all makes the criticisms of Obama by the rabid right for being a teleprompter president even more ironic given Regan is their their hero incarnate.

But when I commit some act that you find outrageous, I won't be able to change your view by claiming that "on balance," I do more good than bad.