Dengue fever twice and hemorrhagic fever

RandomSand

Was blood tested positive for dengue fever in Pattaya a few years back. Recovered fairly quickly (5 days).

I'm now considering taking vacation in other tropical countries (not Asia) with high prevalence of dengue fever.

I wish to know if it's probable, that if infected by another dengue sub-type, I'd then manifest the fatal hemorrhagic fever (which I heard is like ebolasad.png).

Thanks.

ps. I guess that the dengue in Latin America, for example, will certainly be another sub-type.

Edited by RandomSand

There is certainly an increased risk of hemorrhagic fever on your second go-around of Dengue. I experienced this first-hand but I would not consider it ebola strength--However, I did have bleeding from the GI Tract. Both times I got it I was laid up for 3 weeks.

And there is an overlap of the five types globally. I am not certain but I think Latin america has 4 of the 5 as does SE Asia--they share 3?

Please wait for Sheryl to answer--I am not a medical professional.

Presence of antibodies from a prior infection do increase the risk of Hemorrhagic fever but more common in children than adults. Even then it is not that common.

The mechanism of the bleeding is an auto-immune reaction against the infected person's own platelets causing them to drop below levels where bleeding ensues; usually at levels around 20 000.

It would be very important to use insect repellants, where light clothing and cover up.

If you do get fever, keep monitoring. Early signs are a rash with the fever. Best to use paracetamol for the fever and not drugs like aspirin or ibuprofen. The blood test becomes positive around day 4-6 after onset of fever and platelets start dropping at more or less the same time; once this happens, it is important to get a platelet and blood count done on a daily basis.

Steep drops will lead to hospital admission when levels drop to 60 000 or so. Treatment can be platelet transfusions but otherwise supportive.

Kids are more prone to develop the Dengue shock syndrome.

Well at least you pulled through. smile.png

So are we immune to the variants we've already recovered from ?

edit: ClutchClark, did you receive a blood transfusion the second time around.

--Thanks all, for all the advice !

Edited by RandomSand

Well at least you pulled through. smile.png

So are we immune to the variants we've already recovered from ?

edit: ClutchClark, did you receive a blood transfusion the second time around.

--Thanks all, for all the advice !

It is my understanding that you have future immunity to the strain that you were infected with.

I did not receive blood transfusion. I was remote when it peaked and I had the GI bleeding. By the time I got to a hospital, I was just given IV fluids. I am a bit scared of infection in any hospital and try to stay clear of them as soon as possible so I overnighted and checked into a hotel nearby so I could have labwork performed daily. Every available moment was spent on the tile floor of the hotel to cool off from fever and then to climb into my sleeping bag to break the chills. Not fun times but I did lose alot of body weight. Not just water but fat.

I joked I should "bottle" the virus and market it as a "natural" weight loss option in the US. It still has to a better option than liposuction ;-)

• Like 1