Officials start reorganizing public space on Bang Saen Beach, Chonburi

webfact

Officials start reorganizing public space on Bang Saen Beach, Chonburi

CHONBURI, 11 Nov 2014 (NNT) - Chonburi’s Muang District Chief Lerson Sasipong and other top provincial officials yesterday met with vendors operating on the famous Bang Saen Beach on possible directions for the reorganization of public space on the beach.

The meeting was held at the city hall of Saen Suk Municipality. Also taking part in the meeting were commander of the peacekeeping company of the 14th Military Circle Colonel Kom Wiriyawejchakul, and Mayor of Saen Suk City Narongchai Khunplome.

The meeting was aimed at reorganizing the beach business area, working out appropriate sharing of public space among tourists, vendors and residents. If the Bang Saen Beach model proved a success, it would be applied to other beaches nationwide.

The top issue being discussed during the session was the practice of vendors placing their foldable beds on the beach for rent, unfairly taking advantage of the public space.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-11 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

This is an unusual story because ,as many Thais will tell you, Bang Saen's seedier side is mostly owned and controlled by army Generals ( past and present ) so is this the start of a bit of infighting to grab the spoils of war the coup ?

I think it is the Navy..."the controlers"...

I have never understood the attraction of this beach, must only be it's proximity to Bangkok, because it is one of the dirtiest around, and yes the umbrellas, chairs and vendors are a seriously congested problem.

This may be the massive clear out and clean up it needs, let's see what happens.

• Like 2

Was there a few weeks ago and the beach was covered with chairs. Along the water there was trash floating everywhere. At the north end where the road takes a "Y" there was enough trash to fill three bags. I hope all of these venders loose their spaces as they don't care enough to get off of their lazy a$$es and pick up the trash that's around their space.

tt.........it's questionable whether the trash comes from the vendors along the beach.

I used to live right at the beach and EVERY morning, the city-workers came down to clear the trash, stakes from the fisheries and other crap.

As far as I can gather most of the trash comes from the island(s) nearby and the vessels waiting to be loaded or un-loaded at Laem Chabang.

• Like 1

Bang Saen beach is a disgrace. I took my kids there for a look and even they looked puzzled by the amount of crap littering the beach. It was impossible to walk in a straight line without stepping on bags, bottles, snack food packs, styrofoam.....Bloody farang tourists!