Best / cheapest ATM to withdraw money Thailand?

Once get my Thai bank account set up will be an easy one to answer but when using foreign cards for withdrawing

cash are their ATM's with cheaper fees? Last time I was back cost around 180 baht everytime I withdrew money

but one time I only paid about 80 baht. Wish I would have remembered the company who had the machine.

My Australian bank is Commonwealth and maybe they have a reciprocal relationship or something?

Anyone have any advice on this?

"Generally:"

- For foreign cards, the fee is Bt150-180 for Visa/Mastercard. At least Bangkok Bank supports American Express cards which is Bt50.

- For your Thai bank debit card the withdrawal fee will be free if withdrawing from that bank's ATMs within your home province/region which will probably be most of your withdrawals, and generally free up to 4 transactions per month in other banks' ATMs in your province/region if they are part of the National ATM Pool. When out of province/region you pay Bt15-20. There are a couple Thai banks which I think provide free ATM withdrawals from their ATMs anywhere in Thailand. Bottomline, worst case is you will pay Bt20.

The fee of 150 baht or 180 baht will be insignificant, compared to the fees that your Commonwealth Bank will charge. The best way is when back in Australia get a Ctibank Mastercard debit card. Transfer the money from your CBA account over the net into your Citibank and then use your Citibank card to withdraw the money from the ATM . Citibank don't charge any fees and the money is converted in Thailand to Baht. To know which ATM to use have a look at this. http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx It is updated regularly.

Edited by aussiebrian

I use the above site whenever I withdraw baht. The difference can be significant. Put TT in the type of transaction box.

Saving a few baht makes a difference but not enough to cover the ridiculous ATM fee here in Thailand. Some people go into the bank with a passport and with draw a higher amount than the usual 20k limit out of the machine. The same ATM charge is applied making it a cheaper transaction because I have fewer transactions.

I use the above site whenever I withdraw baht. The difference can be significant. Put TT in the type of transaction box.

Saving a few baht makes a difference but not enough to cover the ridiculous ATM fee here in Thailand. Some people go into the bank with a passport and with draw a higher amount than the usual 20k limit out of the machine. The same ATM charge is applied making it a cheaper transaction because I have fewer transactions.

Where you mention "...the same ATM fee is applied..."I do counter withdrawals frequently and have never been charged a fee.