Danish expat witnessed his Thai wife’s murder

webfact

Agree there are low-lifes with no value of human life in most every country.

The difference is its much easier to separate yourself from them in most countries.

Sorry CC, I disagree,

Villager rapes his wife, then he returns with her to the same village where me rapist lives.

Some guys are born victims, and this was victim behaviour.

No way any sane person would have gone back to that village ...... and taken his wife.

It's really easy to avoid family and village problems in Thailand, you don't ever visit the family village, and they don't have the money to visit you.

AOA,

Excellent point, I did wonder if the husband had given any consideration to this guys presence in the village given the history.

I only meant that the life I have created back home is completely isolated from the criminal elements of my society. Here in Thailand, I feel that violence is much more likely to occur anywhere and not just demographics easily identified as drug or high-crime.

I still don't even lock my back door back home. I don't lock my car doors. I don't feel any need to carry a firearm in my community, etc..

Those practices here would put me deservedly on that victim mentality list you rightfully describe.

It really depends on where and how you live in Thailand, and who you associate with,

My car sits unlocked in the road outside my house, all the neighbors and Burmese estate workers know it's unlocked.

Nobody has ever taken the expensive MP3 player or even looked inside.

My house is often left unlocked, windows open.

No way I could have done any of that in Detroit (or Maine).

Once I learned to avoid the poor and desperate (Thai, foreigner and those associated in any way with CM expats club), no more problems in Thailand.

Maine? I didn't actually think to place that one on my list of dangerous places ;-)

I do not have much time in Thailand to know where many of these headline acts of crime take place so it just seems to me it happens about anywhere. I know it doesn't happen to my in-laws but they have a strong presence in their rural communities and I always kind of doubted I would be so crime-free if not for them. Good to hear you can carve a niche as you describe.

I have never been a victim of crime in my 3 years here, but I do feel the risk of violence is greater here than in my community back home. The types of violent assaults and the incidence of rape here concerns me.

Have a good one.

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't there blood relatives of the murdered Thai woman who want to see justice served? A sister is mentioned. That's pretty screwed up if nobody other than the farang husband is bothered to act.

Unfortunately, this is the Thai way. No one speaks up, and there is no empathy and helpfulness.

• Like 1

Note to myself: avoid wearing shorts to (any) my wifes funeral...

Note to you: Think twice before posting!!

I really like how Chonburiram has got to the heart of this tragedy with a clear, insightful and passionate retort. I am sure they poor victim's husband will be grateful for his advice as he mourns the death of his wife and fears for his own life and that of his son.

• Like 2

This is what could happen if you marry a poor village girl and move there yourself.

You know that you will be surrounded by an extended family , and there could be rapists or killers walking around your house.

Are you willing to take that risk ?

Before you engage in any relationship in Thailand , try to learn as much as possible about her relatives Try to avoid any confrontations. Relocate, with or without your wife if you feel there is any danger.

Your life is very important and you did your share. Agreed Relocate,with or without

• Like 1

Really? CC you seem to be from the USA, so you should be well aware that if someone dies while you are committing a crime (say an old timer has a heart attack when you stick up the local bank) you are gulty of murder. Its not premeditated, but that person would be alive if you did not hold up that bank. THEREFORE YOU killed them. SAME SAME with the wife. There is no indication she would be dead if she had not been hit with a wooden stick, therefore the blow killed her. Therefore the person who struck her murdered her. Furthermore, you can not claim that bringing a wooden club to a confrontation and using it on someones head is not premeditated. Therefore this person is guilty of premeditated murder... take your hand wringing "oh, we don't know WHAT caused her to die..." BS and <deleted>.

Now as for this case. I am not a parent, and I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to account for the son. That being said, my first reaction would be to wipe out the entire family. Unless they help me find and kill the father and older brother. They aided them in the assault by hindering the falang, as far as I would care they are dead. I would use all my money to find them... but I would want to kill them myself.

I'm with you man. Can't believe some of the cowardly advice being dished out here: Sure, just run back to the home country, tail between legs. After some cretin raped your wife and then brought around his father to kill her right in front of your eyes? I'd be after blood. First I'd make sure my son was In a safe place, then go for some justice. First within the law. If that failed then outside it.

Some men think they can rape and, if confronted, just kill the victim. These scum count on their victims family getting scared & running away. Which only emboldens them in the future. A stand must be taken against this sense of impunity or it will never die out.

Most posters here recognize their first priority is to be there as their son grows up and provide guidance and love--rather than to exact vengeance on the kilers and leave an orphan to the world.

It has nothing to do with the level of anger anyone feels about this injustice.

Yes, I do as well, that is what I meant by having a great deal of difficulty accounting for the son. I know that is the overriding priority, but I can not feel it.

What a horrible thing for someone to go through.

I also hope they investigate the cause of the poor wife's swollen throat (may she RIP). Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like an odd condition to come from a head trauma.

Agree.

Based on limited description of this article, it sounds like the swollen throat could have been the result of something post-injury...possibly medical care.

Not enough information avaialble to us to rule out anything.

Nothing in my post suggested the assumption you have made.

My post had nothing to do with the legalities of the assailants guilt or innocence.

My post was of a medical nature and wondered about the victims onset of death.

I did not mean to offend you by calling you American. However, it is not much of an assumption since you have, in this very thread, as much as said you are.

Your post had nothing to do with legalities... really? "This poor man watched his wife assaulted in front of his very eyes. (I will refrain from saying murdered since the description of events seems to leave open the possibility she died from some medical complication)."

The conversation you involved yourself in seems to be above your comprehension level.

I will state this one last time. The conversation I was involved in was not about the crime, it was a discussion of the nature of the medical condition the victim of the violent assault succumbed to.

I can't make it any more clear.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

What a terrible story and an equally terrible outcome....May she rest in peace and may you your son come to no harm.

PS. Why does the article keep referring to one man as "her brother-in-law's elder brother"?..... Isn't the older man her brother-in-law- too?

Note to myself: avoid wearing shorts to (any) my wifes funeral...

Note to you: Think twice before posting!!

I really like how Chonburiram has got to the heart of this tragedy with a clear, insightful and passionate retort. I am sure they poor victim's husband will be grateful for his advice as he mourns the death of his wife and fears for his own life and that of his son.
... while unwilling to " leave before the criminal case is over"; the mind boggles at so much stubbornness.

Not the best decision maker, he is.

I'de never live in a village with my wifes relatives..(if they lived in a village)....far too backward for me.......and when incidents such as this occur, you're on you're own!!

Also I agree on many of your past postings I do have to disagree on this one.

Their are many foreigners living in the Thai village with their in-laws and face no problems of whatsoever.

An important issue must be for foreigners to do due-diligence before moving into the village with he in-laws.

Unfortunately I have heard similar stories before.

The woman always the victim - goes to the Police station to be told if you go to court the defendants lawyer will rape you again in front of everyone. Better go home and forget it.

Or if you prosecute the defendant then their future will be ruined as they cannot join the police or military. So please go home.

If it was the Thai woman alone then the "thainess" kicks in. However when a foreigner is involved they seem to want justice and stand up to these criminals. Whereas Thais will back down as usually in every family or town there are thugs that believe they can do anything. If you challenge then the passive aggressive stuff starts, then the aggressive stuff starts and now we have seen the tragic results.

Now the "thainess" kicks in where they will show remorse and get 50% off their sentence.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

this story is to remember all foreigners that thailand is not that kind of land of smile that everybody want to sell us.

here, today there are many important big problems.

eduction is very poor or none , especially in the countryside

alcool is the first cause of many troubles, because in general thais drink until coma in all festival, or family events

as foreigner, you already make the diference because of your money,

the thai woman would prefer in general a farang even an ugly one because of his money, many thai men are jalous of us and a lot hate us because of that reason.

to finish i would recomand that you learn the thai language asap to get accepted and understood by the family and the neiboured too, because thais live in a comunity, it is important that you get to know each other..(but dont be stupid to buy alcool to everyone, or pay for everything!wai2.gif )...you will never be 100% part of them but at least in case of problems people will make opinion, respect you and that could help you one day.

in my issan village they are very primitive and because of these few things i explained i avoid a few bad situations.and here even if some dont like me, they do respect me, because i never gave them the chance to speak badly from me, because i never ever act like stupid...!

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Aren't there blood relatives of the murdered Thai woman who want to see justice served? A sister is mentioned. That's pretty screwed up if nobody other than the farang husband is bothered to act.

Don't be silly as Thais stick together in any situation. On top of that they will also be frightened to say anything in case they get the same treatment. As for 20,000B bail what a joke for such a crime should be 2,000,000B and if can't pay throw in jail

A good example of how you choose the family, and your future life, when you choose the Thai girl of your dreams. Choose wisely, this guy did not!

Good advice on choosing the family, but a bit harsh considering the offender was a relative of a relative by marriage.

I can't avoid asking myself if there were any warning signs that were ignored for some idealistic reason/s. Maybe there was something going on that the husband was ignorant to. There are too many maybes in my mind right now because there are not enough details about the family and about her. There is not even a reason mentioned, and that seems odd. Normally someone has at least a vague conception about why, maybe, it happened. I think that it is normal for Thais in the family to keep the farang out of the "inner circle" like a piece of furniture, and it seems this may be the case here, but there I go again with another maybe / may be. As wrong as it was, Thais do not usually behave this way unless they "feel" some line has been crossed... no matter how bizarre the line seems. I am saying that she must have really done something to really get them that mad at her and to want to kill her son. I guess my question is, what was that thing, and why is it not mentioned or the husband totally ignorant of it? This could be another reason, maybe, that no one interfered, even though that, too is wrong on so many levels. I am too confused to feel sadness for this man because there are too many pieces missing here.

A good example of how you choose the family, and your future life, when you choose the Thai girl of your dreams. Choose wisely, this guy did not!

Easier said than done!!

When you meet them first time, it is all smiles and pleasantries all around!!

Very easy to fall in the trap.

Then slowly, slowly the their true nature emerges, and then it is often too late!!

I can't avoid asking myself if there were any warning signs that were ignored for some idealistic reason/s. ..........

I'm thinking his wife being previously raped in the village was probably a warning sign.

Maybe the ever present "brother" was hiding in the woodworks??

Easier said than done!!

When you meet them first time, it is all smiles and pleasantries all around!!

Very easy to fall in the trap.

Then slowly, slowly the their true nature emerges, and then it is often too late!!

I've never been in a village more than once, and that includes the village my farm is in.

So if the "slowly, slowly" took longer than 3 days, it didn't work.

If you aren't there, they can't harm you.