Taxie Info

threelegcowboy

Has the taxie situation always been like this or has the situation become more tough. I have been going to 2nd rd to get my own taxie only to be confronted by Thais that run the taxie stands all along the road. I am not doing this in front of their business but in areas well away from any of their stands. Before I can cut a deal with the BKK-Pattaya taxie a man will appear and foil the whole deal. I think he is intemidating the driver somehow.

I hear that the Samaui situation is bad and could Pattaya be getting the same?

If I go through the hotel it cost almost double!

Please advise.

thx

LLL

Has the taxie situation always been like this or has the situation become more tough. I have been going to 2nd rd to get my own taxie only to be confronted by Thais that run the taxie stands all along the road. I am not doing this in front of their business but in areas well away from any of their stands. Before I can cut a deal with the BKK-Pattaya taxie a man will appear and foil the whole deal. I think he is intemidating the driver somehow.

I hear that the Samaui situation is bad and could Pattaya be getting the same?

If I go through the hotel it cost almost double!

Please advise.

thx

LLL

I'm not quite sure how you are getting into this situation.

You go out to 2nd Road and flag down a taxi to take you to Bangkok ? And when one pulls over, other Thais come running up and screw up the deal ?

Most of the hotels I see around here show rates of 800 baht to get to Bangkok. You say you were getting the same trip for only 400 baht ?

I hire a private car to take me. Using the expressway (and paying tolls) plus fuel, I don't think too many people would be willing to make the same trip for only 400 baht. My guy charges more naturally, as he drops me off and then has to drive back to Pattaya.

The ones doing it for 800 are usually drivers that have come down from Bkk to drop off tourists, and are looking for a paying fare to get back to Bkk.

Dude,

I am saying that the Hotel charges B1500 and yes there are signs on 2nd road saying B800 but good luck on getting that rate. When I go down the road 50M away from their taxie stand and flag a taxie...yes they run out and comadere the taxie away from me. Several times this has happened.

I am not trying to get it for 400B but more like B1000. Yes I have succeded at times and failed doing this. The taxies are fine with this untill the guys sart running at the mouth.

Apparently you are not aware of this and think I am way out of line but then again I dare you to go flag your own cab like in BKK.

LLL

I book most of the time with this "Taxi Stands". Never a Problem to have a Taxi for 800 (+Express Toll) for the Meter Taxi that is. Limousine is 1200 (inkl. Express Toll) I don't know whats your Problem with them.

Somethimes it helps to smile :-)

I book most of the time with this "Taxi Stands". Never a Problem to have a Taxi for 800 (+Express Toll) for the Meter Taxi that is. Limousine is 1200 (inkl. Express Toll) I don't know whats your Problem with them.

Somethimes it helps to smile :-)

Same same. I used to go through my hotel all the time (up until last year). Always got the taxi for 800 baht (never had to share one either).

The other thing is, waiting for a Bangkok taxi to pass by so you can flag it down ? You must spend a lot of time on the curb waiting. Especially this time of year, I don't see a lot of Bangkok cabs driving around.

I would arrange (through a travel agent as brit mentioned) to have a taxi pick me up at the hotel. Going out on the curb and trying to flag one down when you are on your way to the airport runs the risk of you missing your flight, especially if you are encountering problems getting the taxi in the first place.

Also, try having a Thai girl arrange it for you (i.e. point to the taxi stand that shows a rate of 800 baht and tell her you want to arrange a trip to the airport. Let her haggle with them and let her know you aren't going to pay more than the rate shown.

If they won't come down on the price, say "no thanks" and start towards another stand (it's amazing how quickly the price can drop when they are in danger of losing a sale completely).

All,

OK OK I did not tell the full story but was only trying to simplify the story to collect info.

The long version is I did go through the "Taxie stand" but the price kept escalating and I called off the deal and did not go to another "Taxie stand". I went back to the hotel and got a worse price quoated. All this seems a bit much but I am not going for the standard ride of "to the airport" or "sukumvit area". I am going to a suberb of BKK that even the Thais have not that much knowledge of. When the address is presented in Thai they seem to think "pay day" because it is not a typical destination. I do get backup support from a Thai friend (over a mobile phone) that explains the address etc.

Sounds like I will comformise and go to as several taxie stands to get the price down to something acceptable. The destnation is only 30 min past the old airport. This advice seems sound and thanks.

All this said, the bull shit story that the Police want you to go through the hotel or taxie stand is a bit much for me to swallow. I called the taxie before story is a bit much also. There is an eliment out there on 2nd road that is preventing anybody to hale a taxie and do fair market practice just like BKK. I took a picture of the Thai that has been giving me problems and he has one of those black Police jackets and wears shorts with sandals and rides a 125 motorcycle. He is obviously not a police officer.

If this element gets the taxies trained or intimidated into funneling all the rides through the "taxie stands" they can jack up the price in time. Maybe this has been going on a long time etc. Maybe because of this very slow season this is just rare cases. I have taken all types of transport out of

Pattaya over the years and in the past have just accepted what prices were offered.

I was only looking for info and any further advice can be used. Thanks in advance,

LLL

Now this sounds different. Anyway; in your Situation I would take the Bus (from North Pattaya Road) to Ekamai or Morchit (depend whats more near to your Destination in Bangkok). Bus cost ca. 112 Baht. Just go to the Busstation and buy your Ticket at time you will go (not in Advance). From there just take a Meter Taxi to your Destination. Should be much cheaper than a Taxi from Pattaya.