Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor In Thailand

alexth

I doubt the product line will show up locally for a few weeks or months yet.

They only just started shipping in the US in the past few days. Getting rave reviews on the hardware sites, 20-30% faster than equivalent priced AMD chips in most benchmarks.

Core 2 duo is a real winner and has design wins in areas AMD used to dominate on the desktop. Core 2 is the fastest chip at the very high end. For an equivalently performing AMD, Core 2 runs much cooler. Amazingly, Core 2 has very low prices, BUT amd has in turn lowered all their competing chip prices by around 50% to maintain a small bang for the buck edge over Intel.

Bottom line for most people is that core 2 gives a cooler running system at a price point lower than ever before. As usual, when you are looking to buy the "bleeding edge" technology in Thailand, just be cautioned prices and availability are not going to be in your favor. But at the same time it should help drive down prices of the old stuff.

Generally the newer processors will start to appear in limited quantities in Thailand about a month or so after they start being sold in the US. Even then, there will only be certain models available, as old stock is being cleared, and the high-end models are never available at most places. For example, when the Pentium D first arrived here, only the 830 model was available, and it was about a month late.

I must be missing something here - PC's and laptops with dual core processors have been on sale for a long time at several outlets here in Phuket :o

Those were the Core Duo processors. What I was inquiring for were the Core 2 Duo processors, which apparently are not available in Thailand yet :D

I've been a staunch AMD supporter the last few years as they simply had more bang for the buck processors. (I'm running several athlon64 bit cpu's and one fx52)

It seems however that Intel is having a serious edge on AMD now with their new processors!

The competition between AMD and Intel is a very good example of how this benefits the customer.

AMD made some strange choices on their new cpu range (socket AM2), e.g. the new heatsink attachement (all those aftermarket Zallman's are suddenly useless) and the use of DDR2.

DDR2 has a very high latency, so you'll need a lot of the more expensive memory to get the very high processing speeds!

Seems like Intel is taking a strong lead at the moment!

I liked Intel desktop CPU's 1980-2003, AMD 2003-2006, and now Intel 2006-? And it looks like it AMD will be falling behind even more this year. Instead of challenging core 2 duo head on with a better cpu, AMD plans to release what they call a 4x4. It's 2 dual core cpu's on one motherboard (so should have been called a 2x2). They claim it will be able to beat Intel performance at the very high end. But who wants that? Having to buy 2 cpu's instead of one is going to be way too expensive, the mobo will be more expensive and imagine how much heat/noise/power consumption you will have to deal with. Still AMD makes decent cpu's today, but all things equal I like core 2 duo and don't like the direction AMD seems to be going on the desktop.

I liked Intel desktop CPU's 1980-2003, AMD 2003-2006, and now Intel 2006-? And it looks like it AMD will be falling behind even more this year. Instead of challenging core 2 duo head on with a better cpu, AMD plans to release what they call a 4x4. It's 2 dual core cpu's on one motherboard (so should have been called a 2x2). They claim it will be able to beat Intel performance at the very high end. But who wants that? Having to buy 2 cpu's instead of one is going to be way too expensive, the mobo will be more expensive and imagine how much heat/noise/power consumption you will have to deal with. Still AMD makes decent cpu's today, but all things equal I like core 2 duo and don't like the direction AMD seems to be going on the desktop.

I like intels plan to sell a 4 core processor by end of the year.

If putting two dual core processor in one motherboard they should be half the price. Anyway that seems to be also a part of the future. If the CPU prices are falling why not put 2,4,8 in.

I saw that at arround 1997-1998 putting 2 cpu on one card, which than worked on intels slot. some techis made them themself.

Just with say 8 CPU how big will be the mainboard, and how many fans do I need?

But 8 8 core cpus, makes 64 cpus...... you can make your own nuclear simulations at home....

I liked Intel desktop CPU's 1980-2003, AMD 2003-2006, and now Intel 2006-?

A bit what the guys at Anandtech are saying as well. Seems like they're running 3 year cycles, so looks like the next three years are going to be for Intel!

They only just started shipping in the US in the past few days. Getting rave reviews on the hardware sites, 20-30% faster than equivalent priced AMD chips in most benchmarks.

just now in busiteks online price list, I don´t know if they have stock, but at least they have a price

just now in busiteks online price list, I don´t know if they have stock, but at least they have a price

And the price is not bad either, hmm...maybe I should check them out this week

And don't forget a compatible mainboard.

And don't forget a compatible mainboard.

I've seen on busiteks site that they have one, an Asus if I remember correctly. I was hoping to find a MSI, I have great experiences with this brand, but I guess the Asus should do. BTW, tyways, do you have any recommandations?

Edited by alexth

I've seen on busiteks site that they have one, an Asus if I remember correctly. I was hoping to find a MSI, I have great experiences with this brand, but I guess the Asus should do. BTW, tyways, do you have any recommandations?

My experience with ASUS has always been excellant. For our facility and myself it is the only one I recommend and purchase. Reasons are I found reliability, stability and architectural efficiency to be very good. At the moment I can't recommend a specific model number for ASUS for the duo core architecture, haven't had time to research it yet.

My experience with ASUS has always been excellant. For our facility and myself it is the only one I recommend and purchase. Reasons are I found reliability, stability and architectural efficiency to be very good. At the moment I can't recommend a specific model number for ASUS for the duo core architecture, haven't had time to research it yet.

ty, what about the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe that busitek is offering? I think it's pretty good.

Generally I also prefer Asus.. but... my old computer (Asus mainboard) has been glitching something bad, which is a reason why I bought a new one (still Asus, works fine so far). I also built another one for a friend, with a similar board, and it had a problem with the audio jacks.

Asus is also generally the most expensive mainboard out there, and is also generally lacking in the "freebie" department. Too bad the other brands (Gigabyte, DFI, MSI) aren't well represented in Thailand. And Abit, which used to be neck-in-neck with Asus, dropped out a long time ago.

There is another Asus board that accepts the Core 2 Duo, the P5B, and it's "only" 6,790. Less features, but most people don't need those features.

If putting two dual core processor in one motherboard they should be half the price. Anyway that seems to be also a part of the future. If the CPU prices are falling why not put 2,4,8 in.

I saw that at arround 1997-1998 putting 2 cpu on one card, which than worked on intels slot. some techis made them themself.

But 8 8 core cpus, makes 64 cpus...... you can make your own nuclear simulations at home....

Then we need a new version of the sw to take advantage of the power.

More cost........

Do I really need the power to do Nuclear Simulations?

Where will it all end.

Then we need a new version of the sw to take advantage of the power.

More cost........

Do I really need the power to do Nuclear Simulations?

Where will it all end.

I think just 2 Microsoft Windoze versions later you need at least 4 CPU at 10 Ghz and and 10 GB Ram to just start the operating system and write 2 pages in word. (and download every day 100 MByte patches)