Pattaya: More arrests in Nigerian Social Media Scam case

webfact

More arrests in Nigerian Social Media Scam case

nigeria-21.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Following on from the arrest of two Nigerians last Friday in relation to a Social Media Scam, where they would lure people into sending them money to assist in releasing substantial amounts of money reportedly held by Thai Financial Institutions, which in reality do not exist, Pattaya Police arrested 4 more Nigerians on Wednesday afternoon.

Police Colonel Supatee, Deputy Provincial Police Commander and acting Pattaya Police Chief, announced the arrests of the four Nigerians aged between 27 and 33, at a house located in Egmongkol Village 1 in Soi Kaotalo, East Pattaya.

2 Laptop computers and 2 bank books in the name of Thai Nationals were also seized and taken into evidence.

All four men were found to be residing in Thailand on expired visas and Police face a similar problem with the initial arrests as no actual victims of the alleged scam have come forward to report the case to Police which means they are unable to charge them with fraud at this time.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/155001/more-arrests-in-nigerian-social-media-scam-case/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-11-13

Don't understand why theses people are allowed to walk the streets on Sukhamvit just to sell drugs? I know they pay off the police. The new PM should send them all back to Africa and stop letting them in. Most western people do come to Thailand to make a honest living. Send them back to Africa!

You mentioned Africa 3 times within your 2 lines or slur. I'm just hoping that this for lack of eloquence rather than racism. Though I'm not from that continent, I would feel offended if I were. Not everyone from Africa sells drugs, mind you!

• Like 2

Don't understand why theses people are allowed to walk the streets on Sukhamvit just to sell drugs? I know they pay off the police. The new PM should send them all back to Africa and stop letting them in. Most western people do come to Thailand to make a honest living. Send them back to Africa!

Amen Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

You mentioned Africa 3 times within your 2 lines or slur. I'm just hoping that this for lack of eloquence rather than racism. Though I'm not from that continent, I would feel offended if I were. Not everyone from Africa sells drugs, mind you!

Be offended then, the truth of the matter is that Nigerians that come to Thailand are criminals.

Oh get over it KyapoBKK, I agree 100% with tonysilly. Actually they should make them swim back to Africa without any swim vest !!! I'm from South Africa and talking out of experience. Selling drugs, underage prostitution and internet scams is all these people knows !! Flush them out of LOS before it's too late !!!!!

• Like 1

Another white apologist hits the keyboard,never mind eh! you stopped short of calling K scum,but scum always rises to the top, totally agree though Nigerians are likened to cancer

If it looks like a duck,waddles like a duck,talks like a duck,it sure as hell is not the virgin Mary

• Like 1

Regarding the stoopid racist posts - note that Nigeria called a national Ebola emergency with a single case, and was first to be declared Ebola free, they managed that extremely well. Nigeria is changing, as is Africa,

• Like 1

Regarding the stoopid racist posts - note that Nigeria called a national Ebola emergency with a single case, and was first to be declared Ebola free, they managed that extremely well. Nigeria is changing, as is Africa,

Just like BEE South African, Black Economically Empowered Sure is,a complete basket case . Bosses all black sat at head of organisations,all going bankrupt,water,electricity shortages ,crime at a level it makes your head spin.

"Africa changing" sure is. The "Homecoming Revolution" ran out of steam before the fire was lit. Your comment is bunkum

• Like 2

but...then they'd have to join Procol Harum tongue.png

They have been sitting in fron of 7-11 for the last 6 months next to the Sofitel Hotel on Sukhumvit.

And I've seen them hand a police officer a candy bar......any idiot knows it was cash inside, you don't put a chocolate bar in your pocket....LOL

Penned this back in 2001 ... not directly related to the OP ... but working there for 5 years gave me a perspective ... I also found that not ALL Nigerians are bad. Those that are - and get caught - deserve what they get...

LIFE IN THE FAST LANE

I always thought that life in the fast lane

Was intended to portray the better side of living

But something struck me deep the other day

Some people in the fast lane live in a different way.

Black African roads crowded with traffic

To use Nigerian slang a traffic jam is a ‘go slow’

Vehicles stretch for mile after humid mile

It’s not often you’ll see a driver smile.

Transport battles side by side no inch given

Horns blaring even when there is no chance of anyone moving

Decrepit buses carrying bodies crammed inside

Some place to go, but no place to hide.

Young boys and old men - roadside hawkers plying their trade

Running races between the clogged up lanes

Trying to sell you anything you might need

Propelled in their quest for the cash that will feed.

There is another type of predator out there too

The roadside thugs who will rob and kill

Don’t expect others to extend their assistance

Life is too precious; you’ll be killed for interference.

Other inhabitants frequent the highways too

The maimed and the poor beg at your windows

Legless men on wooden boards with wheels

Can move faster than the traffic shouting their appeals.

Woman and baby both dressed in stinking rags

Wander aimlessly between the cars, eyes stareing

Baby is sucking on an empty breast, no nourishment there

Nobody seems to give a damn and nobody seems to care.

Life in a Nigerian motorway fast lane is not a picnic

People seek to make a living, they want to survive

Driven on by despair and a life that is miles apart from our own

Geared into poverty where hope for a better life is unknown.

Edited by RSole
  • Like 2

So if they don't have any victims/evidence they were involved in the scam then why link them to it, is it because they are Nigerian? Why not just run the story as 4 Nigerian men arrested for overstay.

I guess it's a way of publicising it too. I know a person who fell victim to this scam only two days ago. Deposited 30,000 baht into the account and then said it's not enough have to deposit an extra 82,000 baht.

She realised it was a scam after she sent the money to the account, went to the police station in her home town, not pattaya, and they weren't interested but did tell her that the bank account was opened in the name of a girl who was born only a month earlier, so where they are getting the details from, who knows?

Fortunately, these scams have been going on for a while so it's not easy to be tricked but I somewhat feel for the average Thai with no qualm against the world and lose a substantial amount of money to such thievery.

Before people start banging their drums about serves Thais right for tricking countless others. It's not nice whatever the nationality.

I dont agree with al" all the Africans " are criminals ...... But i used to live in soi 13 Sukhumvit....and left because of the African drug dealers who were openly every night dealing and hassling people along with all the African hookers also working Soi13 ...it made life just horrible... they now set up outside 7/11 and are there every night .... go and have a look yourself ... its so open it makes one think who is really in control of this ...

Seems the police know about this ...but very little is done...

So if they don't have any victims/evidence they were involved in the scam then why link them to it, is it because they are Nigerian? Why not just run the story as 4 Nigerian men arrested for overstay.

Well, they did have the bank books of two Thai nationals in their possession. At the very least, that needs to be followed-up on and explained.

Be offended then, the truth of the matter is that Nigerians that come to Thailand are criminals.

Over-generalise much? How do you assess your so-called 'truth'... by making assumptions based on people you see on the street in a particular part of town. How rational is that? I will only add that I've come across a fair number of professional Nigerians in the course of my work and that they have been honest and likable people. They will be the first to tell you about the problems with their own country and some of the people there, but we should be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush. The world is not a simple place, as much as some people may want to see it that way...