Several political parties accept to participate in the Thai Charter Drafting discussion

webfact

Several political parties accept to participate in the Charter Drafting discussion

BANGKOK, 13 Nov 2014 (NNT) - The Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) says it welcomes opinions from all sectors, and various political parties have already accepted its invitation to discuss the charter drafting.

The CDC is scheduled to hold discussions with those parties on the following dates: November 17th with the Pheu Thai Party, November 18th with the Bhumijai Thai Party and the Chart Thai Pattana Party, the Palang Chon and the Chart Pattana Parties on November 19th, the Matubhumi and the Rak Thailand Parties on November 20th.

The meeting would then continue on November 21st with the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship, November 24th with the Democrat Party, and November 25th with the People's Democratic Reform Committee and its alliances.

The CDC underlined that the discussion would be opened to everyone and that the content of the draft would not be predetermined.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam told the media that the Government would soon form its own 300-member reform committee whose names would be taken from the National Reform Council applicants who did pass the selection. These committee members would handle reform suggestions on local administration, economy, energy and social & media affairs.

Mr. Wissanu expected the committee would be appointed and ready for work within next month.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-13 footer_n.gif

NO POLITICAL PARTIES!!! Don't waste the unique 'opportunity' to draw a 'people's charter', leave the leeches out, they are only interested in themselves, their position and advantages, their place at the money trough, what else, when they get involved it will be another next attempt for nothing, better or good, IMO!

• Like 1

It will be very interesting to see what input these parties give to the process of reform especially when the PTP and the UDD, both accepting invites, was what was broken with the country.

Their input may simply be a litmus test of their sincerity towards reform as otherwise I would keep them as far away from the process as bacteria from a home brew kit lest they contaminate it.

Suffice to say it is certainly a positive that we are guaranteed there will not be any protestors out the front burning effigies of the CDC members, threatening there families with violence or simply throwing faeces at the front gates of the venue because they disagree with the process that the majority want.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

It will be very interesting to see what input these parties give to the process of reform especially when the PTP and the UDD, both accepting invites, was what was broken with the country.

Their input may simply be a litmus test of their sincerity towards reform as otherwise I would keep them as far away from the process as bacteria from a home brew kit lest they contaminate it.

Suffice to say it is certainly a positive that we are guaranteed there will not be any protestors out the front burning effigies of the CDC members, threatening there families with violence or simply throwing faeces at the front gates of the venue because they disagree with the process that the majority want.

We cannot possibly have a clue what the majority want. None of the people on the CDC received a mandate from the Thai electorate. As to keeping the most popular political party of Thailand out of consultation, not only does that not correspond with reconciliation, it would mean a party with 48.4% of popular votes in the last election would be ignored. Is that democracy Thai style ?

So anyone that participates is still barred from politics for a few years or have they ignored that part?

Anyone ON the committee is barred. Those offering opinions are not. Nothing ignored.

Ah, I understood anyone "involved" in this whole process was barred from politics subsequently for a period of time.

We cannot possibly have a clue what the majority want. None of the people on the CDC received a mandate from the Thai electorate. As to keeping the most popular political party of Thailand out of consultation, not only does that not correspond with reconciliation, it would mean a party with 48.4% of popular votes in the last election would be ignored. Is that democracy Thai style ?

Thank you. You have typified what democracy Thai style is. Listening to and respecting the majority when it suits your agenda.

The only time the majority is ever mentioned by the PTP is in an election over 3 years ago. In that time the majority have been ignored up to and including all the polls that have been released to date. This contempt of the majority in the past is why all indices reflect the PTP as a spent force.

2007 constitution referendum. Didn't listen to the majority.

2014 elections. Didn't listen to the majority.

People that did not want the amnesty. Didn't listen to the majority.

People that do support the Junta. Didn't listen to the majority.

People that wanted a transparent water management scheme. Didn't listen to the majority.

Farmers that came to Bangkok to protest. Ignored them and in fact abused them and threatened them.

So the score is 1- 6 in favor of ignoring the majority. Kinda like the respecting 1 principle of the 15 principles of democracy. 1 out of 6 is not a majority. 1 out of 15 is not a majority.

2011 election….Oh yes. That suits our agenda.

That my friend is Thai democracy and that my friend is why reform is needed.

Thanks again for inadvertently highlighting this.

Though with that said if the PTP did run for next election and offered me an unsustainable tax free beer 50% under market value ( as much as I detest them ) I would vote for them if I had Thai citizenship.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

Thank you. You have typified what democracy Thai style is. Listening to and respecting the majority when it suits your agenda.

The only time the majority is ever mentioned by the PTP is in an election over 3 years ago. In that time the majority have been ignored up to and including all the polls that have been released to date. This contempt of the majority in the past is why all indices reflect the PTP as a spent force.

2007 constitution referendum. Didn't listen to the majority.

2014 elections. Didn't listen to the majority.

People that did not want the amnesty. Didn't listen to the majority.

People that do support the Junta. Didn't listen to the majority.

People that wanted a transparent water management scheme. Didn't listen to the majority.

Farmers that came to Bangkok to protest. Ignored them and in fact abused them and threatened them.

So the score is 1- 6 in favor of ignoring the majority. Kinda like the respecting 1 principle of the 15 principles of democracy. 1 out of 6 is not a majority. 1 out of 15 is not a majority.

2011 election.Oh yes. That suits our agenda.

That my friend is Thai democracy and that my friend is why reform is needed.

Thanks again for inadvertently highlighting this.

Though with that said if the PTP did run for next election and offered me an unsustainable tax free beer 50% under market value ( as much as I detest them ) I would vote for them if I had Thai citizenship.

I believe you haven't got a clue about how democracy really works. PTP and the other 4 parties that formed the past government did receive a mandate to govern for four years. The balance of power isn't being dictated by opinion polls and rightfully so. It isn't being dictated by protestors that want the government to transfer power to them either.

As to what the majority wants, that is being determined via elections, of which the 2011 one is the last one. So how hard you might try to put doubt over what I say, thanks to Suthep and the militairy it is the last valid one and needs to be considered. It would have been much better when the Thai electorate could have a say in februari 2014, but Suthep and friends believed they were above the law and they should decide for them !

Funny you should mention the 2014 election, apart from the fact that the other side violated the rights of Thai citizens to vote or run for office in elections, that election WAS mandated by the 2007 constitution and there is no evidence that the majority didn't want them. In fact apart from one (1) party, all the others happily participated.

But I understand the need to ignore the real majority, one that is eatablished by the Thai electorate instead of some opinion poll conducted over 626 community leaders. Can't have the 30 million + Thai electorate have a say in who should be govern the country because some people simply refuse to accept it, using exucse after excuse to justify their reasons for doing so, not exluding claiming Thai people are uneducated and not ready for democracy, yeah right !

• Like 2

These types of topics always seem to bring out the best, or worst in people.

I am surprised the PTP or the UDD are allowed to have anything to do with the Charter, knowing their past histories.

The CDC underlined that the discussion would be opened to everyone and that the content of the draft would not be predetermined.

But I bet anything the PTP offers will by "predetermined" via Skype.

Reading the red fans' posts is like Groundhog Day.

Why don't they have the guts to admit it, if the Shin regime parties were as good as they say they are/were, they would still be in power today. No army is going to step in when the government concerned is both popular, and doing to right thing by the voters. Greed, and a very low opinion of the Thai people caused the Shin empire to crumble. The rice scam and the amnesty bill were the breaking point.

One man brought them down, and that was not the current Prime Minister.

Apparently you do reap as ye sow.

These types of topics always seem to bring out the best, or worst in people.

I am surprised the PTP or the UDD are allowed to have anything to do with the Charter, knowing their past histories.

But I bet anything the PTP offers will by "predetermined" via Skype.

Reading the red fans' posts is like Groundhog Day.

Why don't they have the guts to admit it, if the Shin regime parties were as good as they say they are/were, they would still be in power today. No army is going to step in when the government concerned is both popular, and doing to right thing by the voters. Greed, and a very low opinion of the Thai people caused the Shin empire to crumble. The rice scam and the amnesty bill were the breaking point.

One man brought them down, and that was not the current Prime Minister.

Apparently you do reap as ye sow.

Funny you should mention groundhog day, as this coup certainly feels like it. The result will be the same, unless they don't return to a true democracy.

Being a bad political party is resolved through elections not by staging a coup. Apparently they haven't learned one bit from previous mistakes. They cannot ignore the Thai electorate and they will have their say again at some point in time, it is hardly rocket science to realise the democrats will not be the ones that reap the benefits electorally.

Time for plan B, can hardly wait, it will bear the name democracy, but it won't be a true democracy.