Has Anybody Ever Heard Of Such A Merit At A Little School?

lostinisaan

Hello and G'day,

I was pretty certain that there aren't many things left that would surprise me regarding Thai schools, but I was wrong.

On the 28th of this month all teachers ( which includes me) will have to donate the sum of 10 K for the "school."

The director started with 20 K and is expecting all teachers to follow. Did anybody hear of a merit,or in Thai " Tamboon" called "Paapha", or similar?

I'm sure that such a "tradition" might only exist at little schools in rural areas, just curious if anybody ever heard about such a merit?

Thanks a lot for any useful replies. I might be able to "donate" 1 K, but that's it.

Cheers-facepalm.gif

Never heard of that one, and such a large amount of money too...

At ours we put in 250 baht a term for coffee supplies and money for the maids. I guess somehow it's not in their contract to clean our areas.

Yes, that's what I was told heh...who knows ><

• Like 1

Never heard of that one, and such a large amount of money too...

At ours we put in 250 baht a term for coffee supplies and money for the maids. I guess somehow it's not in their contract to clean our areas.

Yes, that's what I was told heh...who knows ><

Sorry, it's not for the school, as I just found out. Seems to be a "donation" for a temple.

But I also know that usually only half of the donated money actually "arrives" at the temple.

So I might give them 500 baht, put it in an envelope and forget about it. Something smells fishy.

My Thai colleague who's really a nice woman, married to a Dutch guy doesn't seem to be happy about it.

The fact that it's just a little town makes it not easier.

Whenever people approach you with a so called "moneytree", they don't do it for the temple alone.

Most donated money disappears into their pockets.Some of them are just making it up and keep all.

A monk from Sisaket area "donated" 70 million baht for the new hospital.

There's a huge similarity to the "Holy Roman Catholic Church." I remember when they deducted 4 % of my income monthly and showed up at my house sometimes, asking for some extra donations.

Sorry for going so off topic now. Cheers.-wai2.gif

Just tell them your not Buddhist. If they complain. Ask for Christmas day off!

It's not that easy, considering the "gossip" if you just ignore it. I usually give some cash when friends are doing a merit, or something similar.

You can't just ignore it, when you're working at a school in a small town. I'll put 200 baht in an envelope.

My wife's from this area and it wouldn't be good to ignore it.

Thailand is a Buddhist country and such donations pretty common. I find it really perverted to tell all teachers that they have to come up with 10 K.

I prefer to give 200 baht, if the money's really going to the right people than paying 100 baht to the catholic church....

It's easier for me to give less, as I'm atheist.

Tell them you are a Muslim. They don't like to mess with them too much.

Thanks, a real good one. Will take a carpet to school tomorrow, trying to figure out where Mekka is.....

.aeehh does anybody have a cheap compass ?..facepalm.gif ....

Edited by lostinisaan

Scott post # 9

Tell them you are a Muslim. They don't like to mess with them too much.

Or say , ''sorry my Yiddish grandma's goat is sick and needs medicine.cheesy.gif

Just told them that my donkey got pregnant by a member of a forum, called TVF, with the username siampolee

Hope you'll be a good daddy to them.......cheesy.gif

• Like 1

lostinisaan post # 13

Just told them that my donkey got pregnant by a member of a forum, called TVF, with the username siampolee

Hope you'll be a good daddy to them.......cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

You been peeking in the rest room?w00t.gif

They don't call me ''donkey '' for no good reason you know.cheesy.gif

• Like 2

I bet a few days later the school director will show up in his new Benz and his epsilon will park it for him at his designated car park (the only one that has a tent).

Well, wouldn't be a surprised if he shows up with a Lamborghini soon, as monks from this area are well known for their taste, flying in their own Lear Jets, etc...

I feel pretty sad for some foreigners like siampolee who only have their donkeys.Unforgivable sad is that he's not only "riding" them the ordinary way. cheesy.gif

No, I didn't mean his Thai wife, as that would be Thai bashing, which isn't allowed anywhere on this planet.coffee1.gif

lostinisaan post # 17

Well, wouldn't be a surprised if he shows up with a Lamborghini soon, as monks from this area are well known for their taste, flying in their own Lear Jets, etc...

I feel pretty sad for some foreigners like siampolee who only have their donkeys.Unforgivable sad is that he's not only "riding" them the ordinary way. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

No, I didn't mean his Thai wife, as that would be Thai bashing, which isn't allowed anywhere on this planet.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

I'll have you Know my good man I was the inspiration for Bottom in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. clap2.gif

'Er what shouts and spends the money is totally happy with my alter ego.wai.gif

MidsummerBottom.jpg

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

<snipped>

Now we are getting off-topic, but you are spreading misinformation. All the monks I know would never touch the controls of a Lear Jet, they have a private pilot to do that!

Keep your facts straight!!

• Like 1

10K is way too much. That's mow much we gave my close sister in law for her wedding. I don't work in a government school, thankfully, but I've nevr heard of such large donations given. I'm sure the Thai teacher would be thrilled at handing over 10k of their salary, buddhist or not buddhist.

How many teachers are there at your school?

What would be the average donation if all contributed equally towards the 10,000 baht?

One teacher at my school is growing a mustache and collecting money towards men's cancer but not sure if legitimate.

• 2 weeks later...

How many teachers are there at your school?

What would be the average donation if all contributed equally towards the 10,000 baht?

One teacher at my school is growing a mustache and collecting money towards men's cancer but not sure if legitimate.

It's a small Anuban school starting from Kindergarten up to M 3, with about 70 teachers. Today is the big day and it's called " Papahart" and the merit is actually made for our new library.

I donated 400 something baht and they'll use good money for a "party" in the evening,where I won't attend. Almost all people "create" money trees and I'm just wondering how much money is really going to the library fund.

Just received a thick envelope coming from some parents of the EP.

I was certain that such a building would be paid by the government, but you never know.

Edited by lostinisaan