The Old Hands here ...

David48

The Old Hands here ... do they get the credit they deserve?

What I find dismaying is when a newbie comes on with a serious question, and we take the time to answer in detail, even providing links and addresses and so on. All intending on saving them huge frustration or financial loss.

Then, not even a thanks. I've seen this many times. So no, I'd say they often don't get the credit they deserve.

Thank you for your input.
  • Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No point in taking on the mantle of "Elder Sage" when youth (under 45's) nowadays scorns every word you utter.

There's a twilight zone between about 45 and about 65 where most people begin to realize that they really don't know everything, but they're not prepared to admit it and don't have the experience to work things out. After 65 you know you don't know, but you do know how to work things out from the lessons of a long life of experiences.

What I find dismaying is when a newbie comes on with a serious question, and we take the time to answer in detail, even providing links and addresses and so on. All intending on saving them huge frustration or financial loss.

Then, not even a thanks. I've seen this many times. So no, I'd say they often don't get the credit they deserve.

THANKYOU for thanking him Gaz.

And thank you for thanking me for thanking him.

Well, THANKYOU, for thanking me for thanking you after you thunk him.

(Wonder how long we can keep this going).

Well, THANKYOU, for thanking me for thanking you after you thunk him.

(Wonder how long we can keep this going).

Think I have thunked to many thunks today and am going to thunk off to bed..........

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those thankers out there for thanking about this or that. And to Neverdie and Transam, "Thank you for thanking me, for thanking him, and thanking me for thanking you for my thanking of him, and the subsequent thunking of us both by "Sleepy" Transam. I am now done with thanking, and no I do not have a terrible lisp.

• Like 1

Mutual appreciation society has been removed.

post-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

The only time the old hands bother me is when it seems like they don't realize younger guys are playing a different game here. Our TH is not the same place. Also, the guys that never worked and had to survive here have absolutely had a different experience. That being said, some things never change in TH. Or they've seen a TH we will never know... Some of those guys have Thai wives/families too, giving us perspective and insight we might never have.

Edited by eldragon

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ya think??? alt=w00t.gif>

Pensioners are old - that's 65+

Try getting a job in the west at 45+, nobody wants you.

Pensioners are beyond old.

that depends on what you do,

today ive had a job offer here in thailand again,

and email a couple of hours ago asking if i want to go to south africa 2 to 4 years work and very good dosh,, his words,,lol and old site manager i worked for before,

and im 54, experience counts a lot,,

Sometimes, friendship counts a lot more.....................wink.png

tongue.png

ya think??? alt=w00t.gif>

Pensioners are old - that's 65+

Try getting a job in the west at 45+, nobody wants you.

Pensioners are beyond old.

that depends on what you do,

today ive had a job offer here in thailand again,

and email a couple of hours ago asking if i want to go to south africa 2 to 4 years work and very good dosh,, his words,,lol and old site manager i worked for before,

and im 54, experience counts a lot,,

Sometimes, friendship counts a lot more.....................wink.png

tongue.png

They won't ask if you are not good at your job. Experience is a must..the friendships are borne out of mutual respect.

You don't build up a network by being &lt;deleted&gt; at what you do.

The only time the old hands bother me is when it seems like they don't realize younger guys are playing a different game here. Our TH is not the same place. Also, the guys that never worked and had to survive here have absolutely had a different experience. That being said, some things never change in TH. Or they've seen a TH we will never know... Some of those guys have Thai wives/families too, giving us perspective and insight we might never have.

Explain to me to what the different game is. I was here when young and worked with other young professionals..not it great volume but there was a young professional group here 25 years ago.

Infact there were very few older people here then..they were the exception.

I am curious..

Explain to me to what the different game is. I was here when young and worked with other young professionals..not it great volume but there was a young professional group here 25 years ago.

Infact there were very few older people here then..they were the exception.

I am curious..

The girls game. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with regards to Thai girls dating foreigners, I sense things are a little more liberal than they used to be. I guess we have the old hands to thank for that. Paving the way. There's also more western exposure in Thai society and many girls can take care of themselves too. So the game is different.

I understand there's a large section of Thai girls that see dating a foreigner as a step down. Or they're afraid people will think they're a bar girl. But there's also legions of em that will go out looking for one night stands with foreigners, for free. That's not a dig at anyone that pays for it. But I see a lot of people here jumping to the conclusion that we're all paying for it, every time- one way or another- and that's just not the case if you're single in 21st century TH.

• Like 1

You are correct. It is massively different today..just go down thonglor ..much more cosmopolitan etc..etc..RCA etc..

However you are wrong to think we all paid for it back then..nope..there were freebies to be had back then and as me and my mates worked here we obviously were in contact with girls at work.

I met my wife at work in the late 80's.

Also the pay for play is almost unrecognizable from what it is now.

Also remember there were not many old guys here then. If you saw a group of old guys hanging out together it was noticeable.

People always think this place has been a retirement paradise forever..in the scheme of things it is very recent.

• Like 1

You are correct. It is massively different today..just go down thonglor ..much more cosmopolitan etc..etc..RCA etc..

However you are wrong to think we all paid for it back then..nope..there were freebies to be had back then and as me and my mates worked here we obviously were in contact with girls at work.

I met my wife at work in the late 80's.

Also the pay for play is almost unrecognizable from what it is now.

Also remember there were not many old guys here then. If you saw a group of old guys hanging out together it was noticeable.

People always think this place has been a retirement paradise forever..in the scheme of things it is very recent.

Interesting. And no, I was not implying the old hands always paid. But there are certain people here that love to imply any of us that had a problem with a girl did. Now that I think about it, those are probably some of the aforementioned retirees that never worked and survived here. Edited by eldragon

There's 2 kinds of "Old Hands" -- ones who've been in Thailand since Noah laid the keel, and others who've been all over the world living and working in different cultures since they left school. Both have valid and valuable advice in their own way. :)

• Like 2

Guys always pay in some way. In the old days you had to give them presents not money. Things like nylons or American cigarettes,this was for everyday girls sure there were pay for play,but is hidden more and more fun also but office girls were available for a pair of nylons when you took them out. I bet you young guys still pay in your own way too. A few drinks,or something similar.Catching a regular girl without actual cash exchange isnot something new to the young at present in Thailand,its been here since ships been coming to port. The young maynot know what nylons are but young thai office girls got big face if they came to work wairing a pair.

ge

• Like 1