Do English Teachers Require A Degree to Teach At Language Schools

buckers99

Since they can't teach home without a degree why wouldn't they here. I think they should all go through criminal check as for any foreigner coming to live in Thailand to deter those running from justice, sexual molesters and sick since it appears there are so many hiding here.

Being Europea, australian or north american doesn't mean an angel neither clean. The facts are here.

There is no requirement to have a degree in order to teach TEFL in the UK, or other western countries.

I'm not disagreeing, but every job I see seems to require one. So while it may not be a requirement legally, it seems employers certainly want one.

• Like 1

Since they can't teach home without a degree why wouldn't they here. I think they should all go through criminal check as for any foreigner coming to live in Thailand to deter those running from justice, sexual molesters and sick since it appears there are so many hiding here.

Being Europea, australian or north american doesn't mean an angel neither clean. The facts are here.

There is no requirement to have a degree in order to teach TEFL in the UK, or other western countries.

This is false, you can't generalize without knowledge. You can't teach in Canadian public schools without specific university diplomas and an extra year of education program in university.

This is false, you can't generalize without knowledge. You can't teach in Canadian public schools without specific university diplomas and an extra year of education program in university.

He said 'teach TEFL'. This is normally conducted in language schools in the West and not public schools.

• Like 1

He said 'teach TEFL'. This is normally conducted in language schools in the West and not public schools.

In my first post I didn't talk about TEFL..... I am talking in general.

No work permit, no working is allowed.

if you teach at a school, you could teach extra through the school. The students pay the school and the school pays you.

Many British Council teachers are currently working without work permits. The government removed their teachers' 'diplomatic' status a couple of years ago and requested that they register and then license their teaching centres as non-formal schools. However, the MoE are very strict about school license requirements now and require purpose-built premises. Their teaching centre in Chiang Mai is a converted old bank building. Without a school license, non-immigrant B visas and work permits are very difficult to process. There seems to be official tolerance of this though.

In my first post I didn't talk about TEFL..... I am talking in general.

You may not have, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this WHOLE thread is about TEFL teaching!

The Op explicitly stated language school!

• Like 2

I was referring to TEFL teaching - i.e. teaching English as a foreign or second language. In western countries this is usually to new immigrants or asylum seekers. I don't know about Canada, but in the UK a degree might be preferred but is not a requirement. A decent TEFL qualification is. Edited by brewsterbudgen

That should be enough for language school but I heard difficult to get full time work and work permit at language school.

If you want to work at a regular school then any university degree is ok for the first 6 years, then you would need an education degree to continue teaching with a work permit

Until last week the limit for teaching in regular schools was 4 years. But now they changed it to 6 years before requiring an education degree for a work permit.

Maybe different outside Bangkok.

That should be enough for language school but I heard difficult to get full time work and work permit at language school.

If you want to work at a regular school then any university degree is ok for the first 6 years, then you would need an education degree to continue teaching with a work permit

Until last week the limit for teaching in regular schools was 4 years. But now they changed it to 6 years before requiring an education degree for a work permit.

Maybe different outside Bangkok.

Thanks for the quick reply Brian.

At our staff meeting last week they announced that it was official that 3 waivers were allowed without needing an education degree. Any degree was acceptable.

This came from HR office and said it was confirmed.

My statement about language schools is what I heard but I don't have 1st hand experience.

My experience is based on teaching in Bangkok.

• Like 1

So from my understanding, I can do a tef course 120 hours and be able to find employment , whilst doing that I could do a degree in Thailand so then I would be able to teach legally or do I then need to do another type of degree. The reason I ask this is I am at the point now where I'm seriously thinking of coming over and going for it. I have had enough of England, I've spent a lot of time in Thailand with my fiancé and Thai friends or am I completely wrong?

^

You 'could' get a job in a language school, but it will be poorly paid (usually) ad hoc (maybe no work or pay for the holiday period) and pretty unstable. The employer will also know that you are at the bottom of the barrel and have little choice in working for them. They can (and probably will) treat you like sh..t. And many language schools ask for a degree anyway. Look at the ads on another site and try and find one that doesn't need a degree. Not many. Usually noobs with degrees or those already working decent jobs and looking for a bit of extra income part time do these jobs. So it's not a gimme you'll even get a job like that anyway.

If you are in the UK it may be a better idea to do a degree now (probably in Education as this is what Thailand seems to be after now). You'll get a better job and have security. Instead of desperately looking for an employer that will take you, you'll be choosing the job you take and where you want to live. The money will be much better too (long paid holidays etc).

Or if you MUST go to Thailand now, then I would probably do the BA TESOL at Thongsook (3 years) although employment on an ED Visa would be illegal and Thailand is clamping down on the 'duckers and divers' so I wouldn't recommend it unless you can pay for the degree in full (about 2,400 pounds for the full 3 years) and support yourself. Not sure what visa you could get if you work in a Language centre. Some may say you could get a Non B from them and then a work permit. The odds of Language centres doing that for you are almost zero, I'm afraid to say. People looking for a way of staying in LOS are two a penny. Most don't last more than a few months and there will be another batch along shortly.

Nah. Don't be at the bottom of the barrel fella. Try and get a degree in Education from the UK and you'll be sorted long term. A couple of unis in England do Intensive Education degrees (2 years instead of 3). Hard graft as you'll get no holidays and more lectures per week, but your 360 Credit UK Honours degree in Education will be done in 2 years instead of 3 or 4. You reap what you sew etc

Edited by Fatty123
  • Like 1

Food for though.. Just a shame i have my Thai fiancé over there good job here , and hate England lol, but I understand what your saying , the thing is I've only just come back from two month stint out there , I was offered real Dj work in the new year from the bangkok Dj agency and another club promoter but nothing until the new year, but that doors has not close yet, I need to really think carefully about all this. I was thinking work in the day and do things on the side from my other skill sets but I know and I am aware life in Thailand can be hard and unforgiving and spit you out , once again thanks for the heads up

Edited by happydude303
  • Like 1

The problem with visas and work permits is still a big hurdle to overcome. DJ work may sound fine, but what type of visa will you have and can you get a work permit?

This past week I've had two teachers who have run into major visa issues. One went to Cambodia and was refused. He was able to go to Laos and get one more tourist visa. The clock is ticking on finding a permanent solution.

The other, because of nationality issues had to go to Malaysia with all the required paperwork for a non-B, but was told she would have to stay there for at least a month. She does not have the money (and will be without work). I am not even sure if she can legally stay in Malaysia for a month. She decided to return to BKK and catch a flight to her home country. The airlines will not allow her to board her flight back, because she cannot fly out of Don Mueang Airport to her home country and she can't enter Thailand without a visa to get to Suvarnbhumi. She has a degree, she has all the paperwork.

So, think very carefully about your situation before you sit down on a deck chair to enjoy the evening only to find out your on the deck of the Titanic.

With a degree, life can be complicated, without one it can be worse.

• Like 1

The problem with visas and work permits is still a big hurdle to overcome. DJ work may sound fine, but what type of visa will you have and can you get a work permit?

This past week I've had two teachers who have run into major visa issues. One went to Cambodia and was refused. He was able to go to Laos and get one more tourist visa. The clock is ticking on finding a permanent solution.

The other, because of nationality issues had to go to Malaysia with all the required paperwork for a non-B, but was told she would have to stay there for at least a month. She does not have the money (and will be without work). I am not even sure if she can legally stay in Malaysia for a month. She decided to return to BKK and catch a flight to her home country. The airlines will not allow her to board her flight back, because she cannot fly out of Don Mueang Airport to her home country and she can't enter Thailand without a visa to get to Suvarnbhumi. She has a degree, she has all the paperwork.

So, think very carefully about your situation before you sit down on a deck chair to enjoy the evening only to find out your on the deck of the Titanic.

With a degree, life can be complicated, without one it can be worse.

Spot on. Sorry to hear about that poor lady. Sounds an awful (and unusual) situation.

A few years ago it was possible to get a Non B for doing a TEFL course. That has gone. People were getting perfectly legal work permits by handing in Life Experience degrees (they don't count as fakes as it's up to them to accept the paper or not). It got out of hand and too many were handed in and Thailand closed that door on that one. People then thought they could work without a permit. Many do (and did to be fair). Some are happy enough with just a visa and feel thay will earn money anyway. Some do work on Ed visas and tourist visas (although the tourist visa in/out visa run is certainly being stopped it seems, if you read some of the threads on this site).

Depends how you look at it (for those considering coming out to Thailand to teach without a degree). Working without a permit under a military controlled government is a risk in my opinion. The penalties can be quite serious (a few years in jail is possible). And is it really fair on the kids (if you're gonna work in schools)? Would you want your kids taught by someone without a degree in Education (like most Primary teachers have in the UK, for example)?

Those saying you can teach without a degree in Thailand are burying their heads in the sand. They may get the odd job in a Language centre, or even Private school. That door is almost closed now. Permists being refused and visas turned down. And it's gonna get more difficult to stay teaching without a degree in LOS by the day. It will not get easier. Many without degrees teaching in LOS have left to get degrees in Education or have enrolled at Thongsook. These people can smell the coffee. I know of some totally ignoring the situation and laughing at suggestions of doing a degree. Even doing a really cheap one in Thailand out of term time (Thongsook).

They will be crying not laughing in the near future.

Would you want your kids taught by someone without a degree in Education (like most Primary teachers have in the UK, for example)?

Those saying you can teach without a degree in Thailand are burying their heads in the sand.

Maybe in the UK, where there is a large pool of qualified applicants, schools can be a bit more choosy. But Thailand doesn't have that luxury of excess.

This is a contentious topic but whenever it comes up, most people seem to think that there's a comfortable medium: Ed majors teaching advanced courses, and teachers with "other" relevant experience teaching the basics and mid levels. There's also a third group that may or may not be masters degree or PhD holders, but never the less have a great deal of life experience and are more than suitable for many teaching positions. For example, a person who has worked as a technical writer or editor for ten or 15 years is probably a good candidate for teaching basic grammar and composition, regardless of what degree he holds or doesn't hold.

I consider myself to fall into that last category. My degrees are in science fields and I have lots of technical and business process certifications (ITIL, for example) and 30 years of experience doing everything from teaching to servicing consumer electronics to writing training manuals for the phone company to crisis management for a city government. But Thailand will probably consider me as a lesser qualified teacher at some point in the future if I don't "upgrade" to an education degree of some sort. Meanwhile there's a "doctor" somebody in my department who is highly respected even though he doesn't seem to know the difference between "your" and "you're". His PhD will probably guarantee his employment until he retires.

The problem is the Thai government isn't presenting us (or its own educational system) with any options. The present working conditions and average salaries will never attract the highly qualified teachers it wants, and yet they turn up their nose at what is considered to be lesser qualified applicants.

• Like 1

Teaching English to adults at a language school does not require a degree.

It is up to the school and the students are adults capable of intelligent decisions about their learning.

Teacher's salaries are paid directly by the school. Classes are usually short term.

This is completely different from young students in a classroom of more than 20 students, taking a formal required class with grades, partially funded by the government.

Classroom management, and long term development is necessary.

TEFL instructors and English teachers should not be compared together.

Requirements and skills are different.

Math, science and English teachers all have the same requirements and similar salaries.

The grade 12 physics teacher and the grade 1 English teacher are both required to have education degrees.

TEFL teachers at language schools don't have the same requirements or students.

People get TEFL certificate after about 1 month of training and practicing teaching small groups of university students.

This training is worth very little towards teaching grade 5 English.

TEFL certificate should not be required for teaching children. It should only be a qualification for teaching at a language schools.

Edited by brianp0803
  • Like 1

It is up to the school and the students are adults capable of intelligent decisions about their learning.

Teacher's salaries are paid directly by the school. Classes are usually short term.

This is completely different from young students in a classroom of more than 20 students, taking a formal required class with grades, partially funded by the government.

Math, science and English teachers all have the same requirements and similar salaries.

The grade 12 physics teacher and the grade 1 English teacher are both required to have education degrees.

People get TEFL certificate after about 1 month of training and practicing teaching small groups of university students.

TEFL certificate should not be required for teaching children. It should only be a qualification for teaching at a language schools.

Personally I disagree with you!

You don't think TEFL teachers should have a TEFL qualification??

You don't think TEFL teachers should have a TEFL qualification??

I agree with that. I disagree that TEFL teachers shouldn't teach in normal schools. It's exactly where they are needed!

I took the CELTA course.

I learned more in the 1st two weeks teaching than in the course.

In your own country would you expect the Chinese language teacher or German language teacher to only have a high school education and a one month training certificate?

I think the TEFL certificate training is for teaching motivated adults in small groups.

Teaching young students in a classroom is very different skills.

I took the CELTA course.

I learned more in the 1st two weeks teaching than in the course.

In your own country would you expect the Chinese language teacher or German language teacher to only have a high school education and a one month training certificate?

I think the TEFL certificate training is for teaching motivated adults in small groups.

Teaching young students in a classroom is very different skills.

Your not wrong. But the whole point is teaching is actually learning as well. Every school is different, every class is different. It's the nature of the job!

A 4 year education degree doesn't teach you that either! It's a start, a beginning to your teaching and learning!

Most English teachers in a normal program school are conversation teachers (with a bit of reading and writing) so that's TEFL teaching!

• Like 1