Divorce - Is she entitled to anything?

LemmyDude

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is entitled to,

At least half your home, maybe more, and residence in said home with an exclusion order for you until sold.

At least half any savings and investments you made in the last 6 years, judge would probably just award 50/50 on the lot.

Half any pension you earned in that 6 years.

Half of your NI payments, for the time she didn't earn any.

UK divorce law is brutal.

And as she isn't working, and you are, she gets legal aid, and you don't.

That means at the end you get to pay all her legal fees as well as your own.

(as legal aid is generally recovered from the working spouse)

Strangely,

she can afford the very best lawyer, as she has to pay nothing up front, while you probably can't.

A mediocre lawyer in the UK, in a contentious divorce, will cost about 5,000UKP/month and up (that's each).

Whatever you do, don't let her back in the house under any circumstances for any reason at any time (change the locks now, front and back).

If she calls at your house, do not open the door to her, record what she says through the door.

All and any meetings with her should be in public places in front of many witnesses, I would suggest only meeting during arbitration, which can be arranged very cheaply by your lawyer, about 50UKP/hour.

At the moment she has voluntarily relinquished her rights of residence in your home, which may prevent her getting a court order to stay in it (with you out) and you can claim she deserted you.

I say may, because if she claims she left because she was frightened of you, threatened by you, or beaten by you, then she's back in, any you're out.

PS

Don't mention 'rent free', she was your wife, expecting her to pay rent would be considered 'controlling behaviour' which is a form of abuse as far as UK family court is concerned.

err... as OP got married in Thailand, wouldn't the UK court be required to apply Thai Law?

Fact is that in the UK, at least, men end up richer and women end up poorer after divorce.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/25/divorce-women-research

This is based on the misconception that the women "own" half of the assets and income acquired during the marriage. In most cases, it's the man who brings the $$$ into the equation.

It's so arrogant to say that because the income goes away with the man, the woman gets poorer - it was never her income to begin with!

I'd like to see your statistics limited to divorces where husband and wife had comparable incomes and wealth.

Edited by manarak

manarak, on 14 Nov 2014 - 21:26, said:
AnotherOneAmerican, on 13 Nov 2014 - 21:12, said:

She is entitled to,

At least half your home, maybe more, and residence in said home with an exclusion order for you until sold.

At least half any savings and investments you made in the last 6 years, judge would probably just award 50/50 on the lot.

Strangely,

she can afford the very best lawyer, as she has to pay nothing up front, while you probably can't.

A mediocre lawyer in the UK, in a contentious divorce, will cost about 5,000UKP/month and up (that's each).

Whatever you do, don't let her back in the house under any circumstances for any reason at any time (change the locks now, front and back).

If she calls at your house, do not open the door to her, record what she says through the door.

All and any meetings with her should be in public places in front of many witnesses, I would suggest only meeting during arbitration, which can be arranged very cheaply by your lawyer, about 50UKP/hour.

At the moment she has voluntarily relinquished her rights of residence in your home, which may prevent her getting a court order to stay in it (with you out) and you can claim she deserted you.

I say may, because if she claims she left because she was frightened of you, threatened by you, or beaten by you, then she's back in, any you're out.

PS

Don't mention 'rent free', she was your wife, expecting her to pay rent would be considered 'controlling behaviour' which is a form of abuse as far as UK family court is concerned.

err... as OP got married in Thailand, wouldn't the UK court be required to apply Thai Law?

Married under Thai law recognised in the UK.

Divorced under UK law recognised in Thailand.

She is entitled to,

Strangely,

PS

?

I can't follow.

Have there been additional legal steps that turned the Thai marriage into a UK one under UK Law ?

Was it maybe a requirement for immigration/settlement?

I agree. Clearly, she is receiving advice from someone knowledgeable.

I would tell her that i changed my mind and i don't want to divorce.

I know you want to and you can later but you have to think about how you will play it smartly as she is clearly after your money. Just to buy time and confuse her, do not divorce right now. Postpone it. You don't want to marry another woman right away i guess so it's not a problem.

probably taking advice from her new boyfriend

I know you want to and you can later but you have to think about how you will play it smartly as she is clearly after your money. Just to buy time and confuse her, do not divorce right now. Postpone it. You don't want to marry another woman right away i guess so it's not a problem.

Hmmmm...no....i guess most likely from the queenbee......

• Like 2

She is entitled to,

Strangely,

PS

?

I can't follow.

Have there been additional legal steps that turned the Thai marriage into a UK one under UK Law ?

I've read up a bit on the matter and apparently, UK courts are very arrogant in applying UK divorce Law to foreign marriages.

On the other hand, the wife's habitual residence is now Thailand, and assets acquired during three years should be pretty limited, is that correct?

So maybe there's no reason to panic, better get a good lawyer on the case.

She is entitled to,

Strangely,

PS

Not quite true. A divorce in a Thai Court is recognised. There are many circumstances in which an amphur divorce is not.

Anotherr thing to consider is her visa to the UK. Does she have "Indefinite leave to remain" If not she will need a visa and without your guarantees it would be hard for her to get it. Also if she is not entitled to benifits she will have a hard time staying the year or more the court takes.

Edited by harrry

Hmmmm...no....i guess most likely from the queenbee......

maybe, but somebody who understands UK law so soundly?

She is entitled to,

Strangely,

PS

Nonsense ! I was legally married to a thai woman, who expected to get several million baht out of me by acting like a complete arse***e, and I go t rid of her for 500 Bht ! The chances are you met her in a bar, and if you were to take her to court here in Thailand and state the facts of the matter the entire court would know who and what she was, and she will not win. Another alternative would be just to have absolutely nothing to do with her and eventually (they have short attention spans) she will give up and move on. She probably has a few other husbands out there as well as yourself, and the straight educated thais up there in the courts know exactly what is going on and will not be on her side.

I really do not know about the above saying she has a claim on half of everything as that wasn't my experience when I got divorced earlier this year.

My situation was married 3 years and got married in uk

I already owned my property before she came and she contributed zero towards the house and any bills

But I kicked her out/told her to leave which she did

She then made contact with me a couple of months later and said wanted a divorce, wouldn't tell me where she was living and would only give me a friends address to send the paper work to, in the mean time I had been to a divorce lawyer and already had things in place as in this country you need a reason to get divorced so was divorcing her for unreasonable behaviour(I won't go into the reasons but they were justified) she then proceeded to ignore 2 letters regarding the divorce 1 from my lawyer and the other from the court when I filed for divorce but they had both been signed for and the proof was there.

Eventually the court accepted our petition to get divorced without her being present as she had her chance to respond and didn't bother.

If you can prove that it was all you paying then I got a feeling with the right lawyer you will be fine.

your missus just like my ex I suspect it being counselled by someone who reckons they know a bit more than what an actual lawyer would so I suggest you visit one right away and see where you stand instead of reading the scare mongers on here who are telling you she's getting half of everything... the laws have changed since the 1980's and the massive thing you have in your favour is no children/dependants other wise yes you would be bang in trouble....

cheers

Absolutely correct. Not having children puts a completely different face on it. However, where contribution is concerned, courts do take into account when a partner stayed at home and cooked and cleaned, which they consider contributing to community property. There is no specific law but I think a legal precedent was set in case where a couple lived together for just 18 months and the court awarded her a small % of community property. Even without prenuptial agreements court divorce settlements will still take into account what one party owned before the marriage.

manarak, on 14 Nov 2014 - 21:47, said:
Faz, on 14 Nov 2014 - 21:37, said:

She is entitled to,

Strangely,

PS

?

I can't follow.

No, a British citizen is free to choose a wife of any nationality.

In the case of a Thai marriage as long as they follow the correct marriage procedures in Thailand then they are legally husband and wife.

They only have to show a legal marriage certificate to prove she is the wife of a British citizen.

The UK have no choice but to accept that.

As a note, to get married in Thailand the foreigner must get an affidavit of freedom to marry first.

Guess where he gets that?................the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Stupidly I thought at last we had started to get some worth while subjects on TVF, and then this sh1t turns up.

Please don't listen to the wannabe experts on this site they are talking crap.

There is no such thing as common law wife in British law it will not hold up in any court in England.

Defend yourself, lawyers are business people and at the end of the day they are trying to get your money just like any other person in business.

This is another case of a young Thai girl trying to rip off a stupid Englishman that couldn't keep it in his pants, she is being advised by her friends and probably an older sister and mother wanting money for the family for sitting around and doing nothing.

Don't be fooled or worried and face up to the fact that she is trying to rip you off but don't let her win, defend yourself and fight all the way, ignore everything and she will get nothing.

Do not! what ever you do make any offers!!!!

British courts are not stupid they know what goes on here and they will take a fair view on everything if it ever gets that far.

and please remember there is no need to ever get married in modern society as it means nothing apart from complicating issues when you split.

"She didn't contribute anything for the whole 6 years."

So, you voluntarily married her and paid for everything?

According to a Thai girl writing on Stickman's blog, Thai girls expect the guy to pay for everything, and use the money from her job only for herself.

You knew that, right?

You were playing by Thai Rules, yet you thought her presence in the UK would change her way of thinking?

It doesnt matter if you divorce in the UK or Thailand she is entitled to 50% of all your assets. If you enter into a pre-nup you could be better off in Thailand. If you decide to pay her the 10 k you must do this through a laywer to make certain there is no further claims, although I think such an agreement could be declared void in a UK court.

I would be seeking a second opinion of this advice.

Advice, pinch, salt and all that ...

Just a thought ... she's thinking in round numbers.

Maybe counter offer with an agreed Bt 100,000 payable as the divorce papers are signed in Thailand.

She still saves face and a tidy sum for her efforts.

Good luck with the process.

I think offering your wife of 6 years 100,000 Baht to get out of your life might just be small enough to really get her back up and make her make every effort possible to really take you to the cleaners. I gave a girlfriend two and a half times that for the same reason after 2 years together (and was supporting her for those two years). We are very good friends today. Somehow, if we treat others with dignity and respect we seem to have better "luck" in life for it.

dotpoom ... May I ask if that relationship was domiciled in Thailand or the West?

In Canada she would be entitled to 50% of the matrimonial home and 50% of what was gained in value/assets during

the time of the marriage. Canadian Law is based on British Common Law. Be careful when reading advice as each

case is unique. Take the advice as a whole not specific cases. Where was the matrimonial home, Thailand or England,

for the pundits giving advice. Always a risk that some bleeding heart judge rules more in her favour if it were to go all

the way to court.The lawyers bills will be far more than any negotiation you would probably be willing to make. Personally

I think a lot of advice being given is very good. Change the door locks, give her no money, (scorched earth plan) start the

divorce proceedings in Thailand is top of the list in my opinion. If she was looking for 10K offer a quick settlement in Thailand

for 5 K. It has to be worth that to put this to bed. If you have assets and need to protect them from her and the lawyers this

would be my plan. Be pragmatic not a hard ass. Act quickly, do not delay. Once she has bought her airline ticket and

landed in England she has crossed the Rubicon and she cannot go backward. Best of luck getting it sorted.

She is entitled to,

Strangely,

PS

If I may say so what an absolute f.u.***** nightmare why do so many get married to Thai women you gotta be insane. Think with your BANK account!! not your DICK

Edited by kinmaew
  • Like 1

She is entitled to,

Strangely,

PS

She is allowed 50% of the net income generated into the household for the 6 years of marriage. Your income if that is all there was and the net after bills etc.

@Lemmy.

Your experience is the mirror image of my experience to my ex Chinese wife, so this advice is from personal experience.

After agreeing to a divorce, I bought her a one way ticket back to China. The plan was for me to go to China a few months later to get the divorce there.

That plan changed when her 'Chinese' friends started to whisper in her ear.

She came back to the UK after 2 months to seek a divorce in the UK.

I sought legal advice and my lawyer said she'd be lucky to get anything, but to offer £1,000 for a quick uncontested divorce.

I won't go into the reasons why he gave me that advise on here.

Anyway, she refused and went to see a lawyer herself.

She came back tail between her legs, accepted the £1,000 + airfare back to China.

I have no idea what her lawyer told her, but I guess it was the same as my lawyer told me.

I applied and paid for the divorce myself through my local County Court on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and irretrievable marriage.

She didn't contest. Cost about £400 for the DIY divorce.

The UK is very fair in these matters. This 50/50 crap doesn't apply in these situations.

She is a foreign wife who you supported and sponsored to come to the UK. Thereafter shortly after getting permanent residency (ILR) they want a divorce.

To the UK that equivalent to a sham marriage, they married to get UK residency and it's frowned upon.

It's happening all the time in the UK.

In my case I had proof of paying all bills etc. Although she worked later on she had no proof of paying anything.

You have been married a little longer than I was, but don't be intimidated by her demands.

Find a good lawyer, show him your evidence and you'll come out of it OK.

Do not provide any further financial assistance to her, that's her problem if she wants to come back to the UK.

Asian women don't like a scrappy in court battle, they can lose a lot of face.

The ball is in your court, you have her over the barrel, you just don't realise it yet.

Let her get her own legal advice, then see how her tone changes.

She can't get legal aid so if she wants to contest anything, she'll have to pay her own legal fees and could end up with nothing, or even in debt.

(I'm guessing that's what my ex's lawyer told her).

Edited by Faz
  • Like 2

Just a thought ... she's thinking in round numbers.

Maybe counter offer with an agreed Bt 100,000 payable as the divorce papers are signed in Thailand.

She still saves face and a tidy sum for her efforts.

Good luck with the process.

Don't get some of these posts. The OP has/still married for several years. OP hasn't pointed out his net worth. Rather carried on that he paid for this and that....hello she us your wife.

10k pounds is much less than she will get in court. Assuming you have some money. PAY UP.

Your getting off easy. However David is correct in that a counter offer would be worth a shot, but don't overdo it.

All of the above proves a point and this is why there are Lawyers and Solicitors to handle such things. And Judges to make judgment.

UK, Australia and Canada and some of the USA have similar Laws - different terminology ie common law wife, de facto relationship, domestic relationship, close personal relationship etc. As it is known that in living together that you both pay for things like food, rent, running the house - therefore these properties become common and can and are argued in court as such.

In UK the Property Law is used to determine the above.

In my experience it would be hard for her to raise the funds for Solicitors and costs to fight this in UK.

It doesnt matter if you divorce in the UK or Thailand she is entitled to 50% of all your assets. If you enter into a pre-nup you could be better off in Thailand. If you decide to pay her the 10 k you must do this through a laywer to make certain there is no further claims, although I think such an agreement could be declared void in a UK court.

I would be seeking a second opinion of this advice.

Advice, pinch, salt and all that ...

Divorce by mutual consent at a Thai Amphur Office is legally binding in both Thai and UK courts.

What you think is not relevant to the discussion.

PS

Same deal in UK, if you divorce in UK (family?) court, and both ask for no judgement on the division of assets from the magistrate (judge?), none is given.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

In my experience it would be hard for her to raise the funds for Solicitors and costs to fight this in UK.

I would agree to represent her for 30% of the take on a no win, no fee basis.

(If he were in the USA, in the state where I held a license, and he had assets worth $300k+).

I don't represent men in divorce, ever, not worthwhile (although I have given advice for a fixed fee).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican