Take your shoes off, or.................

Costas2008

There are many countries in Europe where you are expected to remove your shoes when entering a house. As a former horny handed son of toil I would never enter a house without removing my shoes. 2 centimetres of sticky clay don't make you welcome. Of course things have changed in many places but this aspect of respecting a person's house is not to be neglected. Wearing flip flops is the only way to conform to this obvious rule.

In Sweden, and I might dare say Scandinavia, we always respect each others homes, by always takes our shoes off. if somebody comes home to me and doesn,t I tell him to, and he refues, I kick his ass out the door...I am not sure, but I have heard from american friends here, that this is NOT the case in the US for some odd reason.. But up to them of course..

Glegolo

Does your place have the 'second' front door?

Sort of like an anti-chamber, an airlock to keep the cold at bay?

Is the taking of the shoes off related to not trampling snow inside?

I used to have a Finnish gf ... that was her set-up.

I see where you are going,, and I agree, Why, is of course related to clay, dirt, and snow and rain and shit...Mothers hate that stuff and it also kills the woodenfloors in falangistan of course.....

Glegolo

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from Texas and wear boots every day. Very occasionally, I wear trainers, (sport shoes), with laces.

In my own home, I have a boot jack and house slippers. I change into house slippers when I am home. I do not require anyone else to remove their shoes when they enter my house.

I think that the feet, especially dirty and smelly feet, are an offensive sight. I don't go anywhere that would require me to remove my boots. I refuse to take my money to a shop where removing shoes is a requirement.

Walking barefoot makes me feel like a dog or a monkey. Why would someone try to embarrass me in this way?

Bare, ugly, dirty and smelly feet have no place in the presence of clean food. So, I don't put myself in that situation and I don't require others to be so embarrassed.

Well, Tex, if you would take off those boots more often your feet might not smell.

Firstly I don't see how this tread went from shoes to schlong's but when in Rome I keep my schlong wrapped around my waist As far as shoes goes always have handy a pair of flipflops I walk these streets too you got the soi 7 slider dragging his junk on the sidewalk you got people spitting on the sidewalk you got ladyboys doing God know what on the sidewalk Then there is Suzy rotten crotch oozing out her last date or she has the drips Not to mention countless mudhut's reliving themselves. Then the mangy Soi dog peeing and pooping on everything in site including gimpy the pimp's wooden leg. What about Crusty the Thai guy with 2 years worth of crude caked on him? Then madame Thai the tit flopper and her this week 's baby Well you get the picture I'm not tracking that into my place. That's worse than kissing a chick who just ate fish.

Edited by Strangebrew

After being here so long (40 years coming/going) it is an automatic response to remove my shoes before entering a home and would feel very uncomfortable not doing so. It is also a matter of respecting the customs of your host and host country culture and not insulting them. My wife keeps a lot of fluffy slippers in the house for herself and anyone who wishes to avail of them (picture below of about half of them). I haven't worn closed shoes in many years now, always good sandals. Once when I got married and twice when we had some very high up people visiting the university. That also coincides with the only time I've worn a suit here.

The only time I've worn slippers in the house was during very cool seasons (Chiang Mai) where the marble just drains the heat from my feet. Even when I lived in the states my shoes came off right away. But then I had nice thick pile carpet which felt good on the feet and difficult to clean. smile.png I imagine if I went back to the states to visit friends/relatives I would get some odd stares as I made myself comfortable by removing my shoes outside the door and walked in. biggrin.png

post-566-0-25197700-1416121566_thumb.jpg

This is not just in Thailand Costas, the same in most countries in South East Asia.

Yes, but I'm living in Thailand and I have to take my shoes off whenever I go in my house or other peoples houses.bah.gif

I think this is simply another cultural norm for Asia that is not in our Western cultural spectrum. However, like the habit of washing your butt rather than simply wiping stuff around with paper, taking your filthy shoes off before you enter my house, I believe, is a preferable cultural act than leaving them on. Let's face it, the soles of our shoes are covered with whatever is on the ground outside; just as the cheeks of our butts still contain traces of feces from being only wiped with paper. These are two filthy traits supported by our Western cultures which I believe should be changed.

Can you catch a veruca off trainers?

Not unless you wear the trainers on your genitals.

Costas i have no problem taking my shoes of in my house or others but in your house you make the rules.

some of the old temples have foot bathing ares just outside the front door so it has been around for some time.

however i am from issan and i definately draw the line at eating on the floor not for me. nor have i been saked to do so in anyones home.

but an agile good looking greek like you would have no problem with this i am sure just do not point your feet at the host.

Removing your shoes is a cultural tradition in many countries. It is a courtesy that you don't bring dirt into the house.

The wearing of footwear is to protect the feet from the dirt and detritus where one walks. You respect the cleanliness of the house, building and people that you visit by leaving your footwear and anything on it outside.

Yet the walls are still filthy? and when you say "clean" how about bacteria on any door handles.....you cant see em but they are there.

Edited by kannot

My mother's house in USA has always been a ”shoes off” house.

It surely helps to keep the house cleaner, and why the hell does one need shoes on in the house?

Due to being 'Mom trained' in this regard, I was removing my shoes when entering anyone's home long before my first trip to Thailand.

For those that insist on a "shoes off" policy inside the house, as I mostly do, house slippers, or similar, should be provided to wear inside the house. So no unsightly feet are seen. I love padding around the house barefoot.

Also it's a good idea to have a few pairs of flip flops / crocs by the back door as outside shoes for when you step out to the backyard for a short while.

You'll notice in all the Thai soaps, no matter how well attired they are, inside the house they are wearing house slippers.

In the states I always removed shoes just inside front door. So, here in Thailand I only wear flip flops and don't feel odd in removing them before entering my house or visiting others. But, I do feel a bit vulunerable cruising 90 KM in flip flops and shorts. yikes............

...I do feel a bit vulunerable cruising 90 KM in flip flops and shorts. yikes............

Funny, that.

When I ride in USA, the minimum gear is jeans, high lace-up boots, leather vest, and gloves. I would never get on a motorcycle there in shorts and slip-on shoes.

Here I do that on a daily basis.