Morphine and Amphetamine Test’s now required for Retirement Visa

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, are you actually going to get tested?

EDIT: Tell us you're not going to do this ….

If he chose not to do the test and it's a requirement of the Samui Immigration "boss", I guess he wouldn't be able to extend his permission to stay at Samu Immigration.

What other options do you recommend?

The Thai Police have the authority to randomly stop you on the street an ask you to "pee" in a cup. What's the difference? The Immigration Office is a Branch of the Royal Thai Police and therefore you are being asked by a police officer to take a drug test. I guess that they could require you to "pee in a cup" then and there, but they are a least giving you an out by sending you to a hospital for a blood test.

I really don't think that it is a strange request as random drug tests are common and required in many countries as a condition of employment and if the applicant does know in advance that it's a real possibility that he/she will be tested it a heads.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 2

I can only imagine that the twisted logic behind this is to go e fishing for users the most common drug in Thailand.

Incidentally it is the only for which test kits are available in large quantity for road use. A big business for manufacturers.

However who has to take these with a prescription should not have a problem, I hope.

There seems to be confusion about opioids and opiates in the discussion above. Morphine is an opiate. Tramadol (Tramal) is an opioid. Different tests to detect them. Any "routine" drug test would check for opioids, not opiates.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 1

The drug tests that are required "in many countries" as a condition of employment

are typically a condition set by the prospective employer, not by the government.

Depends certainly of these "many countries"...

For all European countries by example, the employer can ask for such a drug-test

only if drug usage could become dangerous for employees or customers of the company.

So for most of jobs - by far - employers can't require a drug-test for employment.

Went to Immigration today for my retirement visa and was given an envelope with a red form which had to be taken to a hospital for a blood test looking for those two drugs specificity.

If your avatar is a photo of you, that could explain it (and yes, I am kidding).

Edited by Suradit69