Badrabbit

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How tall are you?

I am 5'5" and the V-Strom 650 is too tall for me. Of course I can ride it, but manouevring from stationary becomes a pain. I went for the CB 500 X which I find is fine.

My concern with Suzuki would be a limited presence in Thailand, compared to Honda and Kawasaki, may mean delays for parts and less experienced servicing. I don't know if this is the case.

OK, no height concerns.

The Pattaya Suzuki dealership told me the V-Strom 650 is their big seller, outselling all the other models put together. So, you can deduce from that there will be a fair few around. And if you buy from new, fewer servicing requirements. I think if you plan to keep it for 10 years, somewhere down the line though you will be inconvenienced by servicing or parts issues whilst with a Versys or a Honda, this can be avoided.

If you go to Big Wing Bangkok, they have imported Crosstourers and Crossrunners which may be a much better bet than the NC750 in terms of power to weight ratio.

• Like 1

They have the 800cc cross runner here? is it a legal import like the NC750 DCT?

Definitely had the 1200 cc Crosstourer. You would need to phone for availability of the 800 cc Crossrunner. Contact Details and Opening Times

Since it is imported by A.P. Honda, yes, fully legal. Not sure where the NC750 is produced, Thailand, ASEAN or elsewhere so may be a different taxation structure applied.

• Like 1

So Briggsy where in Pattaya is the suzuki dealer located, somewhere on sukhumvit I think?

For me it's likely the versys or v-strom, the honda auto, no thanks, I got a pcx150 already.

As seveal posters mention, local made bikes are very cheap in spareparts if needed, so I am leaning towards the versys.

So Briggsy where in Pattaya is the suzuki dealer located, somewhere on sukhumvit I think?

For me it's likely the versys or v-strom, the honda auto, no thanks, I got a pcx150 already.

As seveal posters mention, local made bikes are very cheap in spareparts if needed, so I am leaning towards the versys.

The Suzuki dealer in Pattaya is Mit Yon (surprise, surprise!) on Pattaya Klang above third road on the south side of the road.

• Like 1

I'm 6'3" and yes my priority is service support which you get with Kawasaki and even more so with Honda!

I'm 6'2" and I thought the V-Strom 650 was a really comfortable bike. If I planned on doing more touring I'd have bought it over the FZ09. Since I live in BKK the limited Susy / Yam dealer and aftersales support was less of a concern.

Maybe worth asking each dealer what parts they typically carry in stock for whatever bike you choose and how long it takes to get hold of things like an oil pan cover / crank cover. An oil pan cover for my FZ09 (which is an imported model) took more than a month … I'm guessing that parts for a Thai-made Versys would be easier to come by than for an imported V-Strom.

Badrabbit, have a test ride with the V-Strom. Since you are tall it will be a perfect bike for you.

It's not much more expensive than the Versys new, and it's made in Japan.

Cheers not worth doing anything at the moment as I have to sell my Zed to even think about another bike, just researching in the meantime!

I think the V Strom is 350k Versys 313k

Edited by Badrabbit

I'm off on a 1500km round trip next week on the Z1000, that should tell me if I do need to change to a dedicated tourer or at least a bike more suited to long distances, fuel costs and comfort will probably say yes!!

Edited by Badrabbit

I'm off on a 1500km round trip next week on the Z1000, that should tell me if I do need to change to a dedicated tourer or at least a bike more suited to long distances, fuel costs and comfort will probably say yes!!

I never found my z1k to use more fuel then other litre bikes. As far as comfort my only complaint was lack of wind protection.

I never found my z1k to use more fuel then other litre bikes. As far as comfort my only complaint was lack of wind protection.

Well I have been used to paying 2k for the round trip, I am guessing it's going to be a lot more with the Z1000!

I did some long rides on my Speed Triple (London to Munich, London to Rome) and had a blast. Sometimes literally because of lack of wind protection, but the roads more than made up for it.

Was at Red Baron yesterday and see they have KLR650 for sale. But 428,000 for a US$ 6,500 bike! And it's not the 2014 model which apparently has better suspension, although everything else is still decidedly old school. Not much to go wrong with a carbed single.

• Like 1

Went to see the Versys 1000cc this morning, looks good, felt very comfortable, big bike!! Versys 650 not come until next month!

Also saw the Versys 1000 today, and as much as it pains me to say it, if Honda doesn't release an adventure style/touring bike in the 800-1000cc range I'll have to buy that Kawi for my next bike.

Comfortwise my CB500X has been great. Excellent mileage and it's never let me down. But I definitely want something that has a bit more oomph that will still allow me to loaf along.

Having the same engine as the Z1000 but reduced power(120bhp, it will certainly zip you along at a fair rate of knots, 21ltr tank won't last long at a fair rate of knots but who cares when you are laying out that sort of money, Honda definitely need to bring something out to compete with the Versys cost!! obviously they have the NC750 but only if you like manual tiptronic/auto and sport modes!! Edited by Badrabbit

Went to see the Versys 1000cc this morning, looks good, felt very comfortable, big bike!! Versys 650 not come until next month!

Also saw the Versys 1000 today, and as much as it pains me to say it, if Honda doesn't release an adventure style/touring bike in the 800-1000cc range I'll have to buy that Kawi for my next bike.

Comfortwise my CB500X has been great. Excellent mileage and it's never let me down. But I definitely want something that has a bit more oomph that will still allow me to loaf along.

honda has it here as vfr1200x crosstourer.

very good reviews, great engine, style, single sided nice looking swingarm, cross spoked rims and lots of tech but again not cheap at 860 k THB still honda bigwing says they sell this model well.

very good reviews, great engine, style, single sided nice looking swingarm, cross spoked rims and lots of tech but again not cheap at 860 k THB still honda bigwing says they sell this model well.

Yes but it's not for everyone being DCT or is it DCT? and 860k is a lot more than 619k! Honda seem to sell every model well!! Edited by Badrabbit

I thought about it. But, as you said, it's not cheap...I can have the Versys 1000 and my CB500X with 15,000 baht left in my pocket! That's a lot of fuel-some 12K km on the 500X. :)

There's also the issue of weight. Kerb weight is listed at 288kg. That's almost 40kg more than the Versys. Granted, on the Versys if I would take it touring with the missus, I'd be looking at some 450kg with loaded panniers and top box, I really wouldn't want to stretch that out to almost 500!

• Like 1

I thought about it. But, as you said, it's not cheap...I can have the Versys 1000 and my CB500X with 15,000 baht left in my pocket! That's a lot of fuel-some 12K km on the 500X. smile.png

There's also the issue of weight. Kerb weight is listed at 288kg. That's almost 40kg more than the Versys. Granted, on the Versys if I would take it touring with the missus, I'd be looking at some 450kg with loaded panniers and top box, I really wouldn't want to stretch that out to almost 500!

Triumph is reducing its prices most probably so Tiger 800 or Tiger explorer might come at good prices.

Also please check Suzuki V Strom 1000:

http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/bigbike/home.php?id_product=145&type=information#information

it is 698 K THB not a lot more than versys 1000 and it is only 228 kg wet. Much more of an ADV/touring bike than versys especially with that grunty v twin!

looks good:

14_Suzuki_VStrom1000_3.jpg

I thought about it. But, as you said, it's not cheap...I can have the Versys 1000 and my CB500X with 15,000 baht left in my pocket! That's a lot of fuel-some 12K km on the 500X. smile.png

Triumph is reducing its prices most probably so Tiger 800 or Tiger explorer might come at good prices.

Also please check Suzuki V Strom 1000:

http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/bigbike/home.php?id_product=145&type=information#information

it is 698 K THB not a lot more than versys 1000 and it is only 228 kg wet. Much more of an ADV/touring bike than versys especially with that grunty v twin!

looks good:

14_Suzuki_VStrom1000_3.jpg

ll2,do you know what the new Triumph prices will be or when they will be reduced?.

Cheers

I looked only, too much for me!! Like to look at bikes!

Me too and the girls too, I have to admit but I can't ride/shag them all, but a man got to have his dreams, eh.

Have you considered the Ducati Hyperstrada, I had a test ride on one and my wife kept asking me in the evening; what do you smile/laugh about?

What a bike man, a perfect one person touring bike.

But sadly as you, I just can't justify shelling out +500k baht out on one, but app. 300k baht will be okay.

• Like 2