China Airlines discrimination or not?

Anthony5

I recently traveled to Amsterdam with China Airlines.

A friend informed me that as of October 1st China Airlines, same as all other airlines have long time already, finally would allow a checked luggage allowance of 30kg.

After I had purchased the ticket I called China Airlines in Bangkok to inquire about this, and was informed that it only applied to flights outbound Amsterdam. No big problem because on the departure flight I always have little baggage but on the return flight a 30kg allowance comes in handy as I bring some western foods that are way overpriced here.

A few days before my return I called China Airlines in Amsterdam to reconfirm this. There I was told that it only applied for tickets purchased in Europe. So a flight AMS-BKK-AMS is allowed 30kg on both trips while a flight BKK-AMS-BKK is allowed only 20kg both ways.

On my inquiry why this was for tickets purchased in Europe only I was told that it was a privilege to make up for the premium paid for tickets bought in Europe. On my remark that I paid 625 Euro for my return ticket in the lowest booking class while another China Airlines employee had told me earlier that one way tickets AMS-BKK could be purchased at 235 Euro in the lowest booking class, I didn't receive an answer.

In short, passengers from a certain geographic location enjoy more privileges as passengers from another geographic location who purchased a ticket for the very same flight and who pay an even higher price for that ticket.

That they effectively apply the two tiered rules showed that at the check in at Amsterdam, at the next counter to me, was a Thai person who was told he had to pay 50 Euro for every kg above his 20kg checked luggage.

When I enter such description in Google all results point to discrimination and even racism.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

To be honest ... I think that you think too much.

If you got some extra baggage allowance ... great.

But 'Racism' ... you've spent too much time in that Politically Correct class.

Economic rationalisation based on typical luggage carried between the countries ... plausible ... but it's not racism.

• Like 1

To be honest ... I think that you think too much.

If you got some extra baggage allowance ... great.

But 'Racism' ... you've spent too much time in that Politically Correct class.

Economic rationalisation based on typical luggage carried between the countries ... plausible ... but it's not racism.

Did you miss the point that we are talking about the same airplane, traveling between the same 2 countries, with the very same passengers onboard?

So where comes Economic rationalisation based on typical luggage carried between the countries into the picture there?

Prices and conditions vary all the time depending on where you book from, even whether you deleted cookies yes or no.

Just accept it and move on.

And 'same as all other airlines', sorry, simply not true.

Why should I just accept something I consider unfair?

Just accept it and move on.

Why should I just accept something I consider unfair?

Because you are the price acceptor ... not the price setter ... or luggage allowance setter in this case.

If it means that much to you ... shuffle off to another airline.

Mate your protest heard with your patronage.

• Like 1

Did they charge other nationalities a different price...?

If no then I do not see where discrimination or racism comes into it.........

If you read the OP again you will notice that the tickets in Europe are priced considerably lower than from Thailand, yet they receive better conditions.

I think that is can be considered that tickets in Europe target a different nationality as tickets booked from Asia.

• Like 1

If you read the OP again you will notice that the tickets in Europe are priced considerably lower than from Thailand, yet they receive better conditions.

I think that is can be considered that tickets in Europe target a different nationality as tickets booked from Asia.

Think that occurs with many airlines doesn't it, price differences that depends where you book it from..?

• Like 2

Think that occurs with many airlines doesn't it, price differences that depends where you book it from..?

But isn't that what you said in your previous post would determine if it was discrimination or not?

Do any other airlines also have different luggage conditions depending on where you book from?

Difference in price for different regions is understandable but that is not the point here - it is the change in weight allowance which is bizarre

There is no change in weight allowance but a different weight allowance, based on the origin of the journey. Apparently China Airlines feels that to be competitive in that market they have to implement this, up to them. And they feel that to be competitive in other markets they don't need to implement this, again up to them.

And yes, that is discrimination in the definition of 'making a distinction', which happens all the time with all airlines. Different conditions (including pricing) for different trips, nothing special and nothing to get angry about.

Difference in price for different regions is understandable but that is not the point here - it is the change in weight allowance which is bizarre

There is no change in weight allowance but a different weight allowance, based on the origin of the journey. Apparently China Airlines feels that to be competitive in that market they have to implement this, up to them. And they feel that to be competitive in other markets they don't need to implement this, again up to them.

And yes, that is discrimination in the definition of 'making a distinction', which happens all the time with all airlines. Different conditions (including pricing) for different trips, nothing special and nothing to get angry about.

Maybe I should add that the flight BKK-AMS was about 30% full, every row of 4 aisle seats had a single passenger and so had that side rows, while the AMS-BKK flight was almost completely full.Both flights were on a Thursday.

Looks like they made some wrong decisions at China Airlines.

Maybe I should add that the flight BKK-AMS was about 30% full, every row of 4 aisle seats had a single passenger and so had that side rows, while the AMS-BKK flight was almost completely full.Both flights were on a Thursday.

Looks like they made some wrong decisions at China Airlines.

And on the BKK-AMS f,light everybody had bought a ticket from Thailand and on the AMS-BKK flight everybody had bought a ticket in Netherlands?

Sorry, but what you're saying here is totally irrelevant.

I find this post hilariouscheesy.gif

Discrimination????w00t.gifcheesy.gif

As most posters have pointed out it depends on your booking (ie origination-destination)

Personally I love China Air thumbsup.gif as I fly to the US and booking out of BKK to SFO is a LOT cheaper vs SFO to BKK....changed my origination city to fly from BKK years ago when I discovered the difference.clap2.gif

You must love the price differences charged to farangs in Thailand vs Thai'swhistling.gif

Edited by beachproperty

I have booked "sector fares" for me and my family far cheaper than " through fares" for the same seats on the same airline on the same flight on the same plane. You need to do your homework.

I admit that I had to look up what sector fares and through fares are, but what I could understand from the explanation I found, is that a certain flight is either sector or through. No choice to make by the purchaser.

Maybe you want to give some further explanation?

Discrimination? Well, business does research and decides on a policy of pricing and other factors - in this case, how much baggage weight from different countries.

If they need to be competitive they need to match baggage allowance of other airlines or people will fly with other airlines if they need 30 kilos of luggage. Seems like common sense to me. People can read and work out the baggage allowance. Up to them which airline they choose based on a variety of factors.

Racism? That is bordering on the ridiculous.

Not so long ago I refused to book with an airline (cannot remember which) that had a 2g kilo allowance UK - BKK -UK. My choice but I did not look upon their allowance as discrimination or racism.

I believe China Airlines would like to keep their baggage allowance as low as possible on every route they fly. They would keep it as low as possible in every market they operate.this is simple economics. However, to remain competitive they must provide some sort of baggage allowance on mom mall flight regardless of the market they operate in.some of the policies they have are based purely on competition. If you look at other carriers based in the same market who fly the same route, you will probably find a similar baggage allowance is in place for all of them. Low-cost carriers are an exception.

The Asian based market is completely different from the European-based market. Adjustments need to be made accordingly in order for the airline to remain competitive. In this case, the European baggage allowance normis higher than the Asian based baggage allowance.

Furthermore, there are regulations that are imposed by certain government organizations or quasi-government organizations. These are beyond the control of the airline. They are compelled to follow the rules that are imposed upon them.as such, they follow the rules set by the market and the regulations they must abide by.

If you have ever flown to North America, you will certainly see a very good example of this. You can look at the baggage allowance information for most carriers and see that North American bound flights almost always have a separate policy. North American bound or originating flights have a baggage allowance of two bags per person and 50 pounds per bag. This is quite a generous allowance. However, the airlines must comply because those are the regulations put forth. It is not discrimination, nor is it racism. It is economics. It is externally up ply regulations and rules that airlines must follow. Otherwise, every airline would give you know baggage allowance for free.

I believe China Airlines would like to keep their baggage allowance as low as possible on every route they fly. They would keep it as low as possible in every market they operate.this is simple economics. However, to remain competitive they must provide some sort of baggage allowance on mom mall flight regardless of the market they operate in.some of the policies they have are based purely on competition. If you look at other carriers based in the same market who fly the same route, you will probably find a similar baggage allowance is in place for all of them. Low-cost carriers are an exception.

The Asian based market is completely different from the European-based market. Adjustments need to be made accordingly in order for the airline to remain competitive. In this case, the European baggage allowance normis higher than the Asian based baggage allowance.

Furthermore, there are regulations that are imposed by certain government organizations or quasi-government organizations. These are beyond the control of the airline. They are compelled to follow the rules that are imposed upon them.as such, they follow the rules set by the market and the regulations they must abide by.

If you have ever flown to North America, you will certainly see a very good example of this. You can look at the baggage allowance information for most carriers and see that North American bound flights almost always have a separate policy. North American bound or originating flights have a baggage allowance of two bags per person and 50 pounds per bag. This is quite a generous allowance. However, the airlines must comply because those are the regulations put forth. It is not discrimination, nor is it racism. It is economics. It is externally up ply regulations and rules that airlines must follow. Otherwise, every airline would give you know baggage allowance for free.

Thanks for your explanation about government rules regarding baggage allowance, but did you notice from the OP that a passenger is allowed different luggage allowance both inbound and outbound depending on at which geographical location he purchased his ticket?

I guess a government rule would not make any distinction between the geographical location the ticket was purchased.

Flying to Amsterdam is either 20 or 30 kg, regardless of where the ticket was purchased.

Similar with Air Canada and ANA.

LastSeptember, I flew from Thailand to Canada 1 bag free second bag I pay extra.

Friends buy return ticket from Canada to Thailand ( AC or ANA ) 2 bags allowed free.

I was told it was some king of promotion to adjust to the market offering.

Similar issue with Cathay pacific, flying BKK - HKG - BKK. Was allowed one specific size and weight of carry on when flying from BKK to HKG, yet wouldn't let me board with the same size and weight on the way back. Took me to invoke the station manager to override to let me leave --- it's just regional rules and differences, and I wouldn't bother about it.

Racism? Certainly not. Don't be ridiculous.

I have booked "sector fares" for me and my family far cheaper than " through fares" for the same seats on the same airline on the same flight on the same plane. You need to do your homework.

I admit that I had to look up what sector fares and through fares are, but what I could understand from the explanation I found, is that a certain flight is either sector or through. No choice to make by the purchaser.

Maybe you want to give some further explanation?

Hi Anthony. Nothing to do with baggage allowance but,

I have found on many occasions that, for example...

Flying from Sydney to Bangkok via KL on Air Asia: Booking straight through (ie Sydney to Bkk) can be several hundred dollars dearer than making separate bookings from Sydney to KL, then KL to Bkk. It adds up for a family.