Local Chic Hotel Recommendations

LawrenceChee

Morning guys ...thought I would start a new thread on some of the nice inexpensive places that are just different from a guesthouse / cheap motels to stay at in Chiang Mai

I am staying at Bed Hotel , newly opened for about 6 months at 950 baht nett nightly.

The location is perfect just next to Ibis Hotel , perfect 10 baht ride to Maya, Kad Mall and lots of eateries around the CMU area

For that amount , one gets a comfy ensuite room with great shower pressure designed Scandinavian style , wifi and local thai breakfast ( sticky rice with fried chicken moo bing ) that is well presented and a espresso machine that is highly popular ...giant freezer worth of free water as well on every floor

The place is nice has a good community vibe and lots of communal seating spaces

Looking forward to your other recommendations

Edited by LawrenceChee

Daret House is about as "chic" as I need during cool season. Last I heard it was 200 baht with private bath. During hot season, I would spring for air con.

... and the food is pretty good too! Large portions for the price, varied menu of both Thai and Western dishes (although the Western dishes lack 'something.' Not 'bad,' Just that their Thai foods are really good in comparison. I think the Khow Soi Gai there is some of the very best in Chiang Mai!

The rooms are basic, and not something to write home about, but really... how much time do you actually spend in your room when on a vacation? They are clean and comfortable, inexpensive, and no bugs. Who could ask for more?

At 30k baht a month thats the most expensive "inexpensive" hotel in the city.....and you will pay 30k a month for 6 months?

Kantary hills is cheaper.

You are on the wrong forum Lawrence. that amount covers our mortgage for 4 months....and includes "service" every day.

Daret House is about as "chic" as I need during cool season. Last I heard it was 200 baht with private bath. During hot season, I would spring for air con.

... and the food is pretty good too! Large portions for the price, varied menu of both Thai and Western dishes (although the Western dishes lack 'something.' Not 'bad,' Just that their Thai foods are really good in comparison. I think the Khow Soi Gai there is some of the very best in Chiang Mai!

The rooms are basic, and not something to write home about, but really... how much time do you actually spend in your room when on a vacation? They are clean and comfortable, inexpensive, and no bugs. Who could ask for more?

I could

• Like 2

At 30k baht a month thats the most expensive "inexpensive" hotel in the city.....and you will pay 30k a month for 6 months?

You are on the wrong forum Lawrence. that amount covers our mortgage for 4 months....and includes "service" every day.

Sorry guys sentence structure errors maybe mate ...I meant the hotel is new and opened for 6 months

I am staying for a week only for 950baht nett a night :)

I

That sounds like a good honest summing up.

It could be added that it has been a landmark on the traveller's scene here for a long time.

Family owned and operated since it opened in 1961, and at the present location since 1985.

Chiang Mai kawng taa.

Edited by CMHomeboy78

It could be added that it has been a landmark on the traveller's scene here for a long time.

Family owned and operated since it opened in 1961, and at the present location since 1985.

Chiang Mai kawng taa.

Is it worth visiting for the Thai food? I could do with a new Thai place.

Sorry guys sentence structure errors maybe mate ...I meant the hotel is new and opened for 6 months

I am staying for a week only for 950baht nett a night smile.png

I

the one thing I always look for is the size of the room. The standard 22 sq. meters is a little uncomfortable for me. All though I admit I have stayed in them when traveling.

Just a personal thing.

How ever it did have a chance to see some more nice accommodations. To bad the back packer cheap Charlie's had to get in here. Wrong area for me my boy is coming over and interested in some thing more along the lines you were seeking. He has no plans to live here for many years yet to come. But he can afford and enjoy better than the bare bones.

Edited by northernjohn

I

You didn't mention if it has good WiFi in rooms and what TV schedule, both are often a must in this day and age.

The breakfast is worth about 30 baht.

• Like 1

Service?

I

You didn't mention if it has good WiFi in rooms and what TV schedule, both are often a must in this day and age.

The breakfast is worth about 30 baht.

Wifi is super fast and they got 65 tv channels on ...English channels plus a mix of asian languages and thai ones that are free to air

Chiang Mai kawng taa.

Is it worth visiting for the Thai food? I could do with a new Thai place.

Daret's is a guest house. As such, it has a restaurant attached to it.

The food is consistently good 'down home cooking.' It's not fancy restaurant 'fusion' cuisine.

As I said before, the Khao Soi may be the best in Chiang Mai, but I wouldn't say that about EVERY dish they prepare. What I WILL say is that I've never had a disappointing meal there regardless of what I've ordered, and many dishes have been excellent. We eat the majority of our meals in Thai restaurants and Daret's House is a good place to serve as one of our 'regular' places to eat.

On the subject of hotels. Planning a couple of nights in town and was surprised by not only the price but lack of availability. Most decent hotels fully booked for the next few days and if not they are asking for a decent premium.

On the subject of hotels. Planning a couple of nights in town and was surprised by not only the price but lack of availability. Most decent hotels fully booked for the next few days and if not they are asking for a decent premium.

Wotif web booking site shows many hotels available in CM in the next few days including many decent hotels. It is high season so you got to pay the price for that.

Like UG said Darats is just fine.

Edited by Dante99

Talked to the owners last night and I have no business with them

They are fully booked solid with web bookings and recommendations

2nd project opening behind Wat Prasingh at the as Sunday Market next month soft opening

They have a winning concept and will do well here as they have a good marketing mix head targeting 3 groups - Chinese / Thais / International

That's a good cash flow mix