Garbage man declines donation from actress

Lite Beer

From the article:

But as the court was informed by corrections officials that the convicted couldn’t afford the fine due to his poverty, the court then ordered that he be detained instead in lieu of the fine.

However as the law allows maximum one year detention term in lieu of the fine, he then has to serve the prison term of not more than one year.

So, if you are convicted of a massive fraud involving hundreds of millions, get fined say 10 million - you can then plead poverty and spend maximum one year in jail? Oh yes, doh - these guys never get caught...

If someone is convicted 'of a massive fraud involving hundreds of millions' that felon wouldn't be handed down a mere fine huh.png Well, here they might coffee1.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to those who continuously post about Thais having no honour this proves you wrong

good man

Jiryatam

One single instance does not a rule make.

I am still waiting for several Thais to repay money loaned to them. One even said in disgust: "After 4 months you are upset because I have not paid you? It was only such a small amount: 8 thousand Bahts."

Still waiting after 3 years.

I loan no more unless I can afford to lose that money. In which case, why loan it. at all?

That applies to all nationalities: including my own

• Like 1

To donate 50,000 Baht means that he would have to serve only one year in prison, but she would have had the media attention and the profile of a good heart... To donate anonymous shows really greatness and honour.

Fatfather

Since when after paying 50,000 baht and still need to serve 'Only One Year' in prison was ever mentioned in the news??

Whatever the attention the media is focusing on, how many more actors or actresses come forward with other 50,000 baht cheque/s ??

When someone is doing a good deed , it is better than someone just sitting behind the computer screen typing silly comments.

To donate 50,000 Baht means that he would have to serve only one year in prison, but she would have had the media attention and the profile of a good heart... To donate anonymous shows really greatness and honour.

Fatfather

lol but 50k is 50x time what a TV member would ever think about donating.....

Nice to see a poor man with pride!!thumbsup.gif

All the selfserving Thai politicians could learn a lot from this humble man!!

Yes, they (politicians) shouldn't waste their time selling recycled DVD's

Maybe not such a bad idea!! At least it would be more useful to society, than what they are doing at the moment!! Which is trying to get their noses deeper into the trough!! (any colour)

I think his actions are honorable and well intentioned.

That said, to me, I don't have a problem per se with his prosecution and conviction for his actions.

I don't subscribe to the idea that because someone of a "higher" status isn't charged, prosecuted and/or convicted, of their (alleged) crime, that then this somehow says a person of "lower" status can't r shouldn't be held to account for their (alleged) crime.

True, in a perfect world all crime would be investigated and prosecuted without passion or prejudice, but in most all counties, the enforcement agencies (like prosecutors) do have prosecutorial discretion.

This isn't a pass for outright corruption. But it does say that just because Mr X wasn't charged with a major crime because he is an XYZ person, or perhaps someone has influenced the process, that Mr Y can't or shouldn't be charged for their crime.

To me, the better answer is to tackle the matter of why isn't justice netted out reasonably equally, and not to say that a "little guy" can't or shouldn't be changed because a "big guy" got away.

• Like 2

The authorities managed to find exactly the lowest level individual in the country who could remotely be considered to have violated the copyright laws, a trash collector, and prosecuted him, of all people. Unbelievable.

The TRASH here are the TRASH that TRASHED the country's constitution. Disgusting to prosecute this guy in the first place!

• Like 1

an anonymous good Samaritan paid his fine so he did not have to spend 667 days in jail for selling pirated movie and music compact discs that he collected from scrap.

The guy's faced with two years in jail for recycling rubbish to make a few quid to keep his family! What kind of skewed values does a society like this have?

Thank goodness somebody bailed him out. If anybody deserves a break, he does.

• Like 2

an anonymous good Samaritan paid his fine so he did not have to spend 667 days in jail for selling pirated movie and music compact discs that he collected from scrap.

The guy's faced with two years in jail for recycling rubbish to make a few quid to keep his family! What kind of skewed values does a society like this have?

Thank goodness somebody bailed him out. If anybody deserves a break, he does.

You hit the nail on the head, this society has very little values other than money and power. They jail a garbage collector for flogging a few dodgy disks worth 20 Baht a pop, but fail to look at the nepotism and cronyism in the BILLION Baht debacle that is their National (Joke) of an airline, this guy was trying just to get by whilst the filth that "run" / drain their National Carrier suck millions of dollars out of the company, it is disgusting!

The authorities managed to find exactly the lowest level individual in the country who could remotely be considered to have violated the copyright laws, a trash collector, and prosecuted him, of all people. Unbelievable.

Right you are. There are probably 15 guys along suk and silom they can have their pick of instead of him.

Fatfather

I'm not saying the actress wasn't genuine but stories like this are tailor made for those wanting good publicity.

''Does a lot of work for charidee, but doesn't like to talk about it.''

smashie_nicey_closer1.jpg

to those who continuously post about Thais having no honour this proves you wrong

good man

Jiryatam

One single instance does not a rule make.

I am still waiting for several Thais to repay money loaned to them. One even said in disgust: "After 4 months you are upset because I have not paid you? It was only such a small amount: 8 thousand Bahts."

Still waiting after 3 years.

I loan no more unless I can afford to lose that money. In which case, why loan it. at all?

That applies to all nationalities: including my own

I was wary too as I loaned the security guard at my appt 5K and was hoping he would not default. Instead I received it back plus 2 kg of mangosteen. Needless to say, my lending days are over.

• Like 1

Every now and then there is a shining example of the very best of the "human spirit" When there is an act of kindness, generosity, honesty or strength of spirit.

This small insight into a families life gives us all of that in spades, the fa-rang population can read this and enjoy/learn from this man. His humility and appreciation for what he has is both inspirational and humbling, as was previously posted he is rich in ways most of us will never know.

It would be great if the privileged and politically gifted elite could read this and learn (we all know who I am referring too) but they never will, this kind of mentality and approach to life is beyond them, they just don't get it!

I hope Karma rewards this man and his family as he deserves, any less will be an injustice...

Welcome to Thailand where the rich & the big fish don't get prosecuted for anything.wai2.gif

What a cool guy. ' I've my freedom, a job ,a loving amily and no debt '. Great attitude to life. Maybe some judges really need to review their attitude. There is a stench in the way they've dealt with this man. Kudos to the anonymous donor ....and Boom, nice gesture, sorry you didn't get the photo op you wanted.

• Like 1

"But after thanking Boom, Surat gave the money back and told her to donate it to charity causes for underprivileged people." He doesn't think he's underprivileged! Guys got 'True Grit

I think he's not so greedy and also I salute him for keeping great attitude...

• Like 1