How do you deal with the heat? Seriously...

joeyg

It never used to bother me as a younger man. I have noticed that it is getting progressively harder to handle at 62. I mean I don't want to move outside. I'm wondering is there something wrong with me or the body is just different.

I'm 5'10' 175 pounds. So only a little over weight. My trips over the last 20 years although frequent have never been over 30 days. and I've always been so relieved to get back to the nearly perfect climate of San Diego.

I do want to retire here and my friends who have lived here many years say I'll get used to it in 6 months. "My blood will thin out." Anyway I love Thailand but it feels after a few weeks the climate may be a deal killer. I don't want to live in an air conditioned room.

Any thoughts...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Give it a bit of time. I take around a month to acclimatize usually. Drink lots of water, take showers twice or three times a day.

Thailand is no place for two day pants. The inside out thing doesn't work.

Lose the socks. Crocs over socks is a no no.

Thanks MJP. I've had the dress code down for years. my concern is I just left 3 months of blistering heat and humidity in West Bengal. I was helping set up a humanitarian medical project/clinic there. I was hoping for a little relief here.

Could always push more water...

Thanks MJP. I've had the dress code down for years. my concern is I just left 3 months of blistering heat and humidity in West Bengal. I was helping set up a humanitarian medical project/clinic there. I was hoping for a little relief here.

Could always push more water...

I used to crawl out the jungle in Issan and fly to Bermuda to do a ghastly job. You know Issan is is like a polar bears backend compared to that island. I swear, 100 litres of drinking water an hour used to be sweat straight out by 4pm on that place.

Still never lost no weight!

Guess you will get used to it......... but this is November and the cold season.. myself been sat in the garden in the sun trying to get warm.. never use air con, never found Thailand that hot..

I am older than you and at 110 KG guess a bit over weight......... my biggest mistake coming here was not bringing the electric blanket, last night woke up cold and had to switch the fan off, was only on setting 1.. but still cold..

Not sure if this air con thing is a good idea ? have it in the Master bedroom [never used in 11 years] have it in the main room downstairs only ever use if Thais come to visit.

Maybe there is something wrong with me ? as always cold

I've been here for a year now and 9 years in singapore before that. I never got used to it, even slightly. This year, mid February through the end of may was relentless oppressive heat. Many days "38, feels like 44/45" on the online weather site I checked. There are things I like in Thailand, but the "lovely weather" isn't one of them.

Guess you will get used to it......... but this is November and the cold season.. myself been sat in the garden in the sun trying to get warm.. never use air con, never found Thailand that hot..

I am older than you and at 110 KG guess a bit over weight......... my biggest mistake coming here was not bringing the electric blanket, last night woke up cold and had to switch the fan off, was only on setting 1.. but still cold..

Not sure if this air con thing is a good idea ? have it in the Master bedroom [never used in 11 years] have it in the main room downstairs only ever use if Thais come to visit.

Maybe there is something wrong with me ? as always cold

I would recommend a complete thyroid panel and possible adrenal function test. Although as seniors all our adrenals are not functioning properly.

Stick with the thyroid panel...

One of the joys of living in Thailand is its perfect climate offering " an outdoor lifestyle " I am outside in the sun every day ( in fact i am about to take a gentle stroll to the beach as you are reading this post viewers......) Having lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years i spent about 5 days indoors due to storms! The sun is good for you and we all look better with a " cool suntan " ( nothing worse than looking like a " Rentaghost " ) Even the latest reports in Thailand suggest the Thais should start spending more time in the sun as it is extremely bad for you without some sunshine plus most Thais look better with a tan too!

One thing i can never understand is why anybody would choose Thailand as a place to live and not go outside and not enjoy the climate!? It's great for sunbathing on the beaches,lovely walks and perfect weather for bike rides ( bicycle ) Living in air con is the worst thing you can do then when you do go outside it feels even hotter! I would recommend getting out a bit more and start walking in the mornings but drink lots of water! ( 3 litres a day would be a good start! ) When living next to the sea it never gets too hot as you have the rather delightful " Sea Breeze " .Also rather than lots of showers start swimming more! fabulous exercise and there really is no excuse!

Farang Jaidee ( one of the suntan crew ...)

post-193254-0-30499400-1416111424_thumb.

Location is obviously the key!

I live on the beach on the eastern seaboard. Fantastic weather with offshore breezes most of the time. Night weather spectacular. AND when the hot days do occur (April) ....turn on the air. As said before, it takes time to acclimate but once there, beach location to me is the answer.thumbsup.gif

Anyone else overwhelmed by the climate?

Like a few of the other posters mentioned ... you get used to it.

I split my time between Thailand and the West.

Takes me a week or two to acclimatise to it.

We live in a 'Thai house' ... no-air con.

I've even got used to the fan blowing all night ... that was harder for me.

Anyone else overwhelmed by the climate?

Like a few of the other posters mentioned ... you get used to it.

I split my time between Thailand and the West.

Takes me a week or two to acclimatise to it.

We live in a 'Thai house' ... no-air con.

I've even got used to the fan blowing all night ... that was harder for me.

Have a read . . .

http://www.ghbhomecenter.com/journal/download.php?file=0922May12UeKhW2y.pdf

There's a technical reason these traditional houses are so beautiful.

I've lived in some hot parts of the world but Australia takes the cake for stinking 'hot' weather. Thailand is humid, Australia is hot.

Darwin has both humidity and heat..... Bit like Singapore and Kanchanaburi.

40 odd degrees where I sit today, stifling, not a puff of wind....it must be because the devil himself is in town.

Years ago I travelled in the great sandy desert in Oz and the Pilbara region of WA., it was the summer. The aircon had packed it in so we took the doors off the ute and threw em in the back......I was tempted to kick the windscreen out too, but it was a loaner, so it was doors off only. In the old days I use to have an old cruiser and there was a little kick pad down the bottom that you could open with your feet to allow wind to blow in a cool your nuts off. My trusty gauge told me it was 50 deg celcius that day in the shade, although the weather jerks said it was only 48.3. It was so hot, my mouth was as dry as a nuns nasty. Nearly every year European type people die in the Australian outback after their cars break down or become stuck....hot, remote and dry. The Aborigines know how to survive out there.

Some years ago I broke down on the road from Dubai to Fujairah, it was in summer and hotter than Saint lucifers den, I remember scratching around on the side of the road hoping that the next car that came along was a 'friendly' and just 20 minutes out there would be enuf to dry you right out.

Thailand is a push over, it's about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Drink plenty of water, take plenty of showers, wear cool cotton clothing and most of all, man up a bit, cripes lad the war didn't stop just because the troops were a bit warm.

Ok well I did a tour of Vietnam so I know what its like to have your nuts poach while being on duty for 12 hours. Thing is I never noticed it as a young guy and laughed at the others I thought were wimps. What goes around comes around.

Having been here a few years now I can say I am not really one of the lucky

ones who say they acclimate after a few months

It is not so bad as to make me want to leave but when the temps get up

it does take a bit of a toll on me.

Having lived all my life in a place that averages 22-29C I do find it hot here many days

Also I think your normal operating body temp does make a difference.

My normal temp is 96.6F.. 35.8C

I know most folks are 98.6F...37C I often wonder if that has something to do with it?

Thinking my body thinks it is overheating sooner than some? wink.png

Also the fact I have never lived anywhere that the temps get higher than body temp

like it does here

Other than that it does not stop me doing things...swimming...motorcycling etc.

But when I first came to Thailand I dressed like where I was from...shorts & T etc if going casual.

Now I dress more with long pants & if on the scooter etc a light jacket no matter how hot it is.

I use to wonder how the heck the Thai's are wearing these jackets in all weather on the scooters.

Now I realize not having the direct sunlight on my arms etc is better at regulating my temp.

I guess like being in the shade rather than direct sun.

Edited by mania

13 years here and 67, temp above 30C are getting at me lately.

My preferred temp is between 25 and 30, which is most of the time before lunchtime.

I live surrounded by rice fields, not concrete, that helps.

Afternoons at 32C+ I move to an aircon room.

But places with temp below 15C are freezing my *ss, thus Thailand is a better place.

Up in CM, my normal dress, football shirt, jeans, socks, heavy leather boots.

Don't spend much time in air-con, don't feel hot or sweat much.

Except when cycling,

40KM bike ride wearing woolly hat, football shirt, football shorts, socks and heavy boots, yep, then I'm sweating.

Bare foot is great around the house, but anywhere else in flip flops or crocs and you're gonna damage your feet and toenails big time.

Thailand is very foot unfriendly.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican