How do you deal with the heat? Seriously...

joeyg

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mate, I sound similar to yourself. I am 54 but the same bodyweight and height. I have lived in Jomtien ( outside Pattaya ) for over 2 years now and like you I find the heat and / or the humidity so oppressive most of the year.

Let me say I have always been a cooler weather person anyway, from the UK I used to holiday in Spain for many years and from June to October used to find that too hot!!! So I think the type of person you are, in terms of whether you like HOT or not is a starting point.

I will stress that you do definitely acclimatise, this year I have found it a little easier to handle than the previous year, but i like you dont want to have the air con on 24 - 7. As some guys say, take showers regularly, but this is only a very temporary relief, in some cases 5 minutes. Certain times of the year, April and May especially expect to sweat constantly.

I run a golf group in Pattaya so I am out in the fresh air all year round. April and May can be unbearable in terms of heat. Most of the golfers I know who also live here, have to stop walking and use a buggy during May as its just too dam hot. This is relatively fit guys who live here and are supposedly ''acclimatised''

My Thai GF is always astounded at how ''hot'' my body is ( she means this in a purely medical sense unfortunately ).

I unfortunately have accepted that I am always going to be ''too hot'' here, although without doubt I am acclimatising but just so slowly. But as I said at the start, I really believe its down to your body type and how you react to heat in general.

Remember though that Thailand does have exceedlingly high humidity many times of the year, and this alone can make a nice 30 degrees feel like 45 degrees. I always remember being in Las Vegas many years ago and it was 100 degrees, clear blue sky, sun shining, and not a bead of sweat on me. It was beautiful. Contrast that to 30 degrees in Thailand in the rainy season, cloudy sky, 95 percent humidity and sweating like a pig.

Good luck I hope you resolve your 'problem' I have accepted for me its just something I have got to learn to live with.

I spent 4 years in Visalia, California, USA where temps in the summer hit 107 or more (42 C). In the shade, a little sweat and a little wind made me a little air-con. As the sweat evaporates, you are cooled, the same principle used there in swamp coolers (evaporative coolers). We went to boat races in the summer and all the spectators carried little misters they used to spray themselves. Misters are used here along the Mekong River in some restaurants too.

Most Thais in Isaan use baby powder, and it works, the same is true with alcohol.

I have friends up in Visalia and Three Rivers area. In fact my buddy here in BKK for 35 years, lived in Visalia for several years. It does get hot as hell up there. It was the first place I ever saw swamp coolers. Again back "in the day" the heat really didn't phase me.

By default san Diego just had the right chemistry and elements for perfect weather for me. I've traveled and live all over the world. it only hit me recently i spent about half my life there...

Time will tell...

Edited by joeyg

As you age your body becomes less efficient at keeping it's desired temperature

You can offset that by keeping healthy, exercise and keep your circulation up

Get rid of the aircon and use a fan, stop taking the showers, cut down on meat, alcohol, spices, only eat cooked food for dinner, during the day drink water and eat fruit

It's only hot for 6 weeks of the year

6 weeks? Are you joking?

It's very hot and humid to sweltering hot and humid about 46 weeks of the year and the other 6 weeks are just hot and only mildly humid

How do i deal with it?

- not beeing a fat blob

- exercise a lot (for "wanted" sweating and all the other benefits)

- stay in the shade

- avoid caffeine

- avoid alcohol (drugs and nicotine as well)

- avoid spicy food

- use aircon/fan

- take showers

- wear light clothes

- wear shades ( it relaxes your facial muscles as well)

- wear open shoes, no socks

- dont wear jewellery, watch

- wear button shirts, not T-shirts

- use towels, caps, hats, umbrellas, hand fan

- carry a handkerchief to dry your sweaty face

- touch a cold glass/bottle with my inner wrists, or lift it to my carotid artery

- retire to my car (and open the aircon/stereo)

- mai ben rai, chai yen yen, avoid stress, anger, arguments...

- move slowly

- lay on hard flat surfaces (stone, wood) on (nearly) floor level

- avoid soft sofas, cushions

- avoid (sun) creams, lotions, deos, perfume, who close your skin pores

- have a Thai massage

or just bear it... i wear the same clothing in the temperature range 0°C - 50°C, always funny to meet friends and relatives in good old Europe for Christmas, they walking in their coats, me coming from Thailand with my sunny attitude in my shirts and shorts...

Edited by Chonburiram

There is no remedy. It's 35 degrees or hotter 9 months out of the year. At night it's usually 25-30. It's always humid.

Walking outside in the daytime for more than 15 minutes and you'll likely be soaked no matter what you wear.

And when indoors with the air-conditioning on, your body will never get acclimated to the heat. White people just aren't built for this climate.

I enjoy most things about living in Thailand, but this sweltering, humid climate is the one thing that's almost sent me home to the freezing winters of Calgary.

It's always hot in Thailand, hot and humid. The temperature may vary throughout the year but it is still always hot as a rule. As you are retired then you should be able acclimatise quite easily, I am working and a shirt and trousers are not fun,,

These are the things that I think help and you will end up enjoying the bright, sunny days more rather then worrying about the heat.

1. Wear natural fibres such as cotton or linen,, avoid ALL man made fabrics. Also wear slightly loser and lighter clothes. It helps if you buy from here as Western clothes are generally thicker. Oh, and NO SOCKS,,, EVER,,, get used to wearing open sandals and I personally avoid the plastic shoes like Crocs.

2. Shower twice a day and try and get used to almost cold showers. I find this helps, it at least means I do not end up offending anyone.

3. Slow down (most important I think),,, don't rely on good brisk walks for exercise (need the gym now Im afraid). Never be in a rush to get anywhere and give yourself extra time to do anything. Also, get the baht bus but again don't rush.

4. Eat like a local,, avoid heavy Western foods.

5. Drink lots of water.

6. When walking about stop off ever now and then and sit in the shade, it makes a big difference here.

7. Lasltly, carry a pack of moist wipes around with you. The ones that have the cooling sensation are best. The when you sit down on the shade ripe off your forehead and around the back of your neck,, it really helps cool you down.

At the end of the day Thailand is a tropical climate so you have to acclimatise and make some lifestyle changes, if you are happy to do that then Im sure you will be ok. If not then perhaps Thailand is not the place for you.

Good luck fella,,,

Walk between 7-11s :)

do not walk on the Sunny side of the street

Wear button down cotton shirts which breath a little better

wear cotton pants , I wear Dickie work pants as I sunburn easy

If possible be like the Spanish and Italians and take the hottest time for lunch,

Drink lots of water , and stay away from Sugar Caffinated drinks

and a big hat !

In California its hot but dry , so you sweat out the water but it dries off your clothes ,

But in Humid areas it never drys off your clothes so you are stuck wearing "wet" clothes the rest of the day

that is why cotton helps some , and maybe the "space age" fabrics that wick the moisture from your skin

Not being able to stand the heat as one ages seems contrary to my experiences. I remember whenever I'd visit my grandparents it always seemed about 10 degrees F warmer than what I thought was comfortable. This was usually winter though so maybe there's a difference. It was also dry heat in their home/oven.

Whatever you do, don't wear Crocs. They're made from crude oil turned into a techno plastic.

Think back to the last rubber or plastic article of clothing you wore that felt cool in the summer. Neither can I.

They don't breath. The holes are not there for ventilation, the holes are where your dignity leaks out.

I struggle with sweating if I booze a lot I am ok for about 7 to 10 days then its like somebody has turned a tap on it just pours out of me,even the locals struggle in april-may avoid the hottest time of the day stay in the shade,adjust your time you wake get up at sunrise do what has to be done then relax

untill sundown then shop meet your mates etc,go to bed early get up early,buy more pairs of crocs/sandals/flipflops and rotate dont wait till they get funky

dry your feet [get rolls of kitchen paper] use anti fungal/creme/powder.

My problem is that I sweat more than most people. I can be literally dripping after only walking 2 blocks in Bangkok's heat even in December. It gets embarrassing trying to keep my sweat from dripping on the merchandise when I stop to shop somewhere or find my shirt soaked through from neck to waist after only being out an hour. The thing is, I seem to be drawn to travel in places with hot, humid climates. I take 2-3 showers a day, drink lots of water and take periodic rest stops to dry up the sweat. But, my body has never adjusted. I have yet to acclimatize even after spending 6 months in that type of weather. I lived in Mexico for more than 2 years in a beach area with the exact same climate pattern as most of S.E. Asia and after forcing myself to live without air-con for a year, I gave in and found an air-con apartment. Still, April to November was barely tolerable. I managed to make it through 3 summers and finally gave it up and moved back to the cool San Francisco Bay Area. My solution now is to live Nov.-March in S.E. Asia and the rest back in the Bay Area. I still find the heat and humidity challenging, but if you like the rest enough, you just deal with it. Yeah, as some suggest, I "man-up", but it is still a love/hate relationship with the heat.

We lived with locals above Chiang Mai, and we each had a Mitsubishi A.C. in the bedrooms, the h.e.p.a. filter helps also.Walk up the back road every couple hours,shower, computer stuff in the A.C., then back out again..ceiling fans in the living room..

Wish I was back there..soon..

Aloha

I live Maui - Half. Bangkok - Half.

It's incredibly HOT, even compared to Texas, where I lived for over 30 years. I left after 10 straight days over 110 degrees F.

Bangkok is Hot.

I am indoors between 2:30pm and 6pm. Often, take a nap.

Or go to the pool.

Shower before nap.

It's some of our best "cuddle" time.

I want to be refreshed for Tawandang and dancing at 9pm!!

Our Bangkok routine is to rise early!

Breakfast and then go out. Shopping. Looking. Walking.

Back for lunch and a shower, nap, cuddle, snooze.

Lite dinner and out again!

We love to ride BTS to Nana Plaza station and walk around Sukhumvit in the evening and watch people.

Come by Hillary 4 and look for me and my wife!!

Since Southern California Sucks badger butts And Thailand has all the fine looking Thai Ladies and you can't handle the heat I suggest get out of the kitchen. You said you didn't want to live here well why complain go home to badger butt sucking country.coffee1.gif Next problem solved.wai.gif

Look I know I might of sounded rude But geez this is Thailand the Climate is Tropical in case you didn't know if it is to hot stay where it is cooler You don't need to be rocket scientist to figure that out. I'm here cause I choose to be I lived in Northern California most of my life Bay Area to be exact. and I'm 62 not overweight because I worked for a living so I'm still in shape. So if you can't handle the heat hop a plane home and stay there. No one is forcing you to stay here .

Edited by Strangebrew

Thanks MJP. I've had the dress code down for years. my concern is I just left 3 months of blistering heat and humidity in West Bengal. I was helping set up a humanitarian medical project/clinic there. I was hoping for a little relief here.

Could always push more water...

I used to crawl out the jungle in Issan and fly to Bermuda to do a ghastly job. You know Issan is is like a polar bears backend compared to that island. I swear, 100 litres of drinking water an hour used to be sweat straight out by 4pm on that place.

Still never lost no weight!

r

to Bermuda to work??? in a ghasty job- may as a bartender at Cambridge Beaches???

I don't think you EVER really acclimate. I never did during one year stay. Drink more, of course, make sure pee is clear or drink more....and try to seek elevation to some reprieve. Before 7 or 8 a.m. is much nicer. AC for extended periods of time likely isn't good for you either.......anyhow, the heat can and will create (possibly) long-term health issues. Too hot is definitely worse for you than too cold, especially when you can find clothes, blankets, fire, etc...

anyhow, take the heat very, very seriously. if you are having major problems, trust me you will be happier in a colder climate. i was dumb and spent a few months simply trying to survive from the heat. that is what it felt like, surviving. AC works, but not the best solution. anyhow, good luck..

Actually, the hottest time of the day is from noon to around 4 pm. So what I do, is get up early - do my exercises (now about 26 degrees celcius) and everything I want to do outside. After lunch we have a big siesta or we go to a mall with aircon if we have to do some shopping.

4 PM is a nice time to be in the garden or outside as the sun is lower and the heat is retreating. I know, it's not much time, especially around this time of the year when the sun sets shortly after 6 pm.

We go early to bed... sometimes 9 pm, sometimes 10, only late if there has been a party..

Oh, and I have a small pond, with clean water and I hop into it, feed the fish out of my hand, listen to my iPod or clean the floor from the pond... sometimes one or two hours... that keeps me cool.. :)

Hi Mate, I sound similar to yourself. I am 54 but the same bodyweight and height. I have lived in Jomtien ( outside Pattaya ) for over 2 years now and like you I find the heat and / or the humidity so oppressive most of the year.

Let me say I have always been a cooler weather person anyway, from the UK I used to holiday in Spain for many years and from June to October used to find that too hot!!! So I think the type of person you are, in terms of whether you like HOT or not is a starting point.

I will stress that you do definitely acclimatise, this year I have found it a little easier to handle than the previous year, but i like you dont want to have the air con on 24 - 7. As some guys say, take showers regularly, but this is only a very temporary relief, in some cases 5 minutes. Certain times of the year, April and May especially expect to sweat constantly.

I run a golf group in Pattaya so I am out in the fresh air all year round. April and May can be unbearable in terms of heat. Most of the golfers I know who also live here, have to stop walking and use a buggy during May as its just too dam hot. This is relatively fit guys who live here and are supposedly ''acclimatised''

My Thai GF is always astounded at how ''hot'' my body is ( she means this in a purely medical sense unfortunately ).

I unfortunately have accepted that I am always going to be ''too hot'' here, although without doubt I am acclimatising but just so slowly. But as I said at the start, I really believe its down to your body type and how you react to heat in general.

Remember though that Thailand does have exceedlingly high humidity many times of the year, and this alone can make a nice 30 degrees feel like 45 degrees. I always remember being in Las Vegas many years ago and it was 100 degrees, clear blue sky, sun shining, and not a bead of sweat on me. It was beautiful. Contrast that to 30 degrees in Thailand in the rainy season, cloudy sky, 95 percent humidity and sweating like a pig.

Good luck I hope you resolve your 'problem' I have accepted for me its just something I have got to learn to live with.

I'm 71 and have lived here in Hua Hin for nearly 8 years. I agree with everybody re the effects that humidity has on how hot or cool you tend to feel and obviously wearing the 'Right kind' of clothes is essential, unless you have to be 'Booted and Suited' for work. I normally play golf 3 times a week and always walk the course and funnily enough I find that I'm cooler on the course than I am when I'm just wandering around at home. I might occasionally use the A/C for an hour before bed, but as previous posters have said I much prefer to use the fans

As somebody once said to me when I first moved out here "If it ain't hot, it ain't Thailand". As a previous person has said, if you live near the coast you do get the benefit of the sea breezes and clean air. I hope that you acclimatise.

No offense to anyone, but for me, heat is worse if I complain, nay, even TALK about it. Same same with extreme cold, of course. Therefore, it bothered me a lot more when I was younger and didn't know this. I pretty much only talk about the weather when it's nice, like right now.