Ripoffs Go Right To The Top.

RustBucket

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slightly related.. I got someone in to build a heap of built in cupboards and interior design an apartment. Father in law scoffed at how much I paid. and for the next couple of years I actually felt like I paid rip off farang prices.

Until they redesigned the top floor of their bangkok house and paid more for less than what I got.

rip offs are shared around not just

Yes many businesses never give full measurement. Local builders merchant ,order 2 cube of sand 2 cube of stone ok. Last week we ordered 3 cube of sand 3 cube of stone, it was delivered on the same small truck, wife spoke to the driver , he just said truck full cannot carry more. I spoke to the wife phone them and complain, no she said every merchant do same always cheat you. mai pen rai!!!!!!

I'm always telling my wife that if she doesn't complain things will never change. She keeps on moaning about attempted scams in my ears but never says a word to those who are effecting the scam.

Thai's are taught from an early age that you don't say anything or challenge anyone about anything. It's the biggest reason why the rich keep getting richer and the poor get exploited.....period.

She keeps on moaning about attempted scams in my ears. You're lucky you only get attempted scams in your ears. Might be pretty painful if an actual scam ever grows in one of your ears.

I often buy 500 gm minced beef at two different supermarkets

One is a BIG Chain store and when I cook the beef a lot of it disappears . Beef from the other Food supermarket yields much more when cooked.

I can also see that beef from the first mentioned is very very wet. I am sure they pump it with water.

Yo RustBucket, I'm thinking of experimenting with making some cheese at home, (Just for my own use) couple of recopies on utube i'd like to try, Never done it but like to give it a crack.

So can I ask you where in Thailand can I buy rennet from and a few other ingredients for small amounts for making different cheeses,

ie camembert, Parmesan, mozzarella.

cheers

btw- are you German?

and have you ever compared the prices you're paing here and (wherever) home is?

I'm American and almost everything I buy in Thailand is more expensive except for traditional Thai food. Clothes, cars, petrol, Western food etc. are outrageous.

I bought regular unleaded gas (petrol) the other day for US $2.40 Which is 79 baht. There are 3.78 liters in a US gallon. The world oil price and gasoline prices are way down, but not in Thailand.

Walmart has very good quality Wrangler brand blue jeans available in dark or light blue or black for $9.99. That's 327 baht.

I can buy a brand new Camry for $19,000 - 625,000 baht all in with license and registration for 4 years.

Other than rent and some utilities, I find Thailand to be very expensive.

I own my home and vehicles and it would cost me money to live in Thailand unless I lived like a Thai.

UK Petrol Prices for Sunday 16th November 2014

Avg

Min

Max

Unleaded

122.84p 117.9p 141.9p Thai 83p

Diesel

127.26p 121.9p 148.9p Thai diesel 58p

Super Unleaded

132.43p 123.9p 159.9p

Premium Diesel

139.56p 130.9p 159.9p

LPG

65.85p 60.0p 79.9p

Just think of all the material you will have after another year in amazing Thailand.

Not much truth in advertising in this part of the world. Check the fuel pump sometime, I had 55 liter show on a pump one day with a vehicle where fuel tank capacity is 42 liter (manufactor measurement) Even warrenties can be misleading, battery for vehicle may say 2 year free call out if battery fails to start vehicle but battery itself only 1 year (not mentioned on warrenty card. I normally have any pre wieghed/marked meat etc at mackro weighed on meat counter scales, both probably have a thumb added to actual weight.

You tank size doesn't include the filler neck which is several litres and your fuel lines all the way from the front to the rear of the car, there are several if injection, fuel filter , accumulator and fuel distributor as well. Also you are trusting your manufacturer to be precise to the litre.

Petrol stations are randomly checked, the allowable error is negliable on a single tank. If you believe what you say then call the authority.

But as for scales, the markets all seem to be wrong and only one way by at least 100 grams/Kg.

I'm a vehicle mechy and can tell you even that with all it's extra piping etc doesn't mean 13 liters of extra juice mate! You'll have to do better than that if you want to be an apologist for Thailand. smile.png

Have you measured and calculated it on every vehicle ?

Why on earth are you complaining to the shops? Are you mad? Or are you unable to control your fury?

Makro doesn't make milk. It sells Dutch Mill, Chokchai, Meiji milk etc.

You need to write to the company concerned with evidence if necessary and threaten to go to Consumer Protection Bureau, Youtube, etc.

Yup, it's in their blood.

---------------

It's called "Capitalism" and they learned it from westerners.

The only good capitalist is a dead capitalist.

Cheating and scamming is not capitalism.

Capitalism has been around ever since there was trade.

Capitalism has pulled more people out of poverty than anything else in history..........which cheating and scamming hasn't.

• Like 1

I often buy 500 gm minced beef at two different supermarkets

One is a BIG Chain store and when I cook the beef a lot of it disappears . Beef from the other Food supermarket yields much more when cooked.

I can also see that beef from the first mentioned is very very wet. I am sure they pump it with water.

Buy the beef and mince it yourself.

That way you also know what was minced.

---------------

Capitalism has pulled more people out of poverty than anything else in history..........which cheating and scamming hasn't.

That's just theory and wishful thinking.

In practice they go together like a horse and carriage.

What country are you from to believe such hogwash?

Food products in Thailand needs approval and licensing from the FDA. (not sure why that doesn't seem to apply to fresh markets) Anyway, if the product is not complying with its very strict description, you should also definitely contact them.

The wife ran out of fuel once and I took fuel (1 liter milk container) to get it running and drove to station to fill up ( less than 1 kolimeter) They could not get 43 liter into the tank even with my urging. This is just a little background info for all you doubting thomas

Look carefully at the label on that milk bottle: it is not supposed to be one litre at all and is clearly labelled as such. As far as I know the size is 870ml (= US 29.4 fl oz, or 1.53 Imperial pints) which for some totally incomprehensible reason is indeed a standard global bottling size for liquids.

If you want a metric bottle then buy one of the two-litre milk bottles here which do contain exactly two litres and are labelled 2000ml, and you will get two litres of gasoline in it without any trouble.

I dont know why this is so.

But this is the killer... CP pangasus fillets at Makro in a bag marked up as 1kg, defrosted and drained of all the water they pump into it and cooked then weighed in at 400g so you are pretty much buying water at the rate of fish price.

This is normal practice in Europe and for all I know throughout the world. The weight printed on the bag includes the water ice. Unsurprisingly the cheaper brands will generally have more water and less product.

The same applies to processed ham and bacon (not the more expensive air-cured sort) which is also full of extra water for which of course you pay the full price.

Cooking will reduce the product weight even more.

Exceptionally items like individually frozen lobster in water will show the minimum weight of the lobster and not the lobster plus the water.

• Like 1

---------------

strangely enough in Australia if you are caught using the wrong measurements you face extremely hefty fines, same if you are caught selling items and not declaring exactly what is in them, add water and you are asking for big trouble. At least you know what you are getting, even things from overseas have to have it all declared, I realize this may not be the case elsewhere but it is a great way to go for the customers as anyone ripping them off can expect to be in court very quickly and facing some pretty big fines or being closed down, doesnt pay to cheat customers there

in tech, same scam... a 1000 gb hard-drive has 950gb because it s bit and no byte.... whatever.

smartphone company say they have 16gb, in fact after taking os, you have 12gb remaining and when you reach 1 gb, your smartphone is not working correctly.

plenty of other example, it s based on Grey law... so nobody can really sue these companies... it s just to you to be informed and make your own choice and buy somewhere else.

Edited by Digitalnomade

---------------

not true - capitalism requires monetary systems and it is motivated by greed - it relies on barter and shuns regulation which in turn makes cheating acceptable as a way of doing business.

it requires ownership - mostly private - and profit.....this also usually involves a looser. the word itself is recent.

Capitalism is a bit like poker, and trying to play with 10 bucks in your pocket when th other players have millions is pretty hard.

True capitalism, like communism, seldom exists or works.

in Thailand capitalism is the basis but like a poker game the odds are stacked against a free market by corruption graft and nepotism (and a splash of ethnocentricity) that totally destroy any semblance of a free market, especially within the country.

Edited by wilcopops

rom westerners.

strangely enough in Australia if you are caught using the wrong measurements you face extremely hefty fines, same if you are caught selling items and not declaring exactly what is in them, add water and you are asking for big trouble. At least you know what you are getting, even things from overseas have to have it all declared, I realize this may not be the case elsewhere but it is a great way to go for the customers as anyone ripping them off can expect to be in court very quickly and facing some pretty big fines or being closed down, doesnt pay to cheat customers there

Australia has attempted to follow the UK model for fair trying, but they have a greater reliance on US - style contract law then the UK which makes fair trade legislation very difficult.

at school, they taught me to compete for best grades , to go on my way to crash students, and become the number one and never help.

in the army they taught me to help others, to rescue the injured ones, and work as a team, even to death...

so what is right?

Edited by Digitalnomade

---------------

not ture - capitalism requires monetary systems and it is motivated by greed - it relies on barter and shuns regulation which in turn makes cheating acceptable as a way of doing business.

it requires ownership - mostly private - and profit.....this also usually involves a looser. the word itself is recent.

True capitalism, like communism, seldom exists or works.

Hmmm....greed...maybe more ...desire.....doesnt make cheating acceptable as a way of doing business......if you try to buy something which doesnt have a pricelabel on it and you are paying x amount for it but later find out that somebody else paid x -20% for it.......aint cheating by the seller. Greedy ..yes...with the consequence most likely that the buyer will not come back.