Spiders in Northern Thailand

wowjudo

Hello

I wanted to ask what kind of spiders lurk around in northern thailand. especially from chiang rai to chiang saen/mae sai

I heard stories about the brown widow spreading around chiang rai.

Are there any hospitals in chiang rai that have anti-venom kits for spiders ?

Not sure about the dangerously venomous spiders and other crawly critters.

I am sure that most bugs find me quite delicious.

My palate and mind set are not up to returning the favour and attempting a taste test.

Enjoy your trip and sleep well. Lol

Cheers

Aft

My palate and mind set are not up to returning the favour and attempting a taste test.

Cheers

Aft

You haven't lived until you have tried the crickets and the bamboo larva. They are both really quite good.licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif I stole this image from my wife's Facebook page.

11379_802400419803737_446071859819118439

Edited by villagefarang

I shall continue on with my limited epicurean tastes.

That photo did nothing to encourage my desire to consume bugs.

Watching my wife vigorously attack a plate of crawly critters was quite enough.

Competing to eat the same plants as they do does not make me want to exact revenge by gnawing on them.

In fact, I shall wash my salad bits with greater vigour!

Thanx anyways. Lol

Cheers

• Like 1

I went to Laos the other day to renew my visa and whilst looking around the market I saw this spider run between the bamboo products on the table, it was just slightly smaller than my fist, I don't know what sort of spider it was but I was sh!!tin it, I was straight out of there.

i got bitten by spider ,told it could ,kill me ,or maybe i would be sick all my life ,had old lady in the village sent her son of into the jungle ,found some plants ,made a paste out came little bugs from the bite ,still not dead ,spiders girls don't know what worst

Stay home my friend.... you know them big arse butterflies you see on the telly?....what they don't tell you is they are Vampires.......keep well away.

Holiday with the the Zombies...much safer.. and you are closer to the hospitals...and relatives.

Edited by Mudcrab

Cheers

Aft

You haven't lived until you have tried the crickets and the bamboo larva. They are both really quite good.licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif I stole this image from my wife's Facebook page.

11379_802400419803737_446071859819118439

My in- law used to bring me a bag of these from Chiangmai. Very tasty. Like Smiths crisps minus the blue salt bag.coffee1.gif

I know it's probably fruitless trying to convince the 'kill it with fire' crowd, but spiders aren't aggressive and they're not after you* unless you do something foolish like put your foot into their home (your shoe). They're not disease carriers and they eat all manner of bugs that actually ARE disease carriers like roaches and mosquitoes. The reason you have spiders is because you've also got something else far worse that they're feeding on.

*Okay, maybe in Australia

The only good spider is a dead one.

Brigante7

Around 30 years ago in the small town of Fang near Chiang Mai I was invited to a barbecue at the house of a Thai acquaintance, while sitting a ta table located near the front of the house

something caught my eye, it was a huge Tarantula on the front door of the house, I leapt off my chair and refused to return to the table while that ginger haired creature from hell remained

the thais were surprised that I was was scared of a mere Tarantula, anyway one of the Thais took his sandal off and knocked it off the door, it scurried into the undergrowth and disappeared,

I returned to the table.

On another occasion I was driving down a country road near Sa Kaeo and I noticed with horror a huge spider on my windscreen, so I turned on my wipers to knock it off, it didn't move, it was on the inside,

I left the car in hurry, but my Thai companion in the car just picked it off the screen and hurled it into the side off the road, and we drove on.

Lived in Pattaya for years never saw the like.

I've been bitten by a spider. Other than the 2 puncture marks, swelling and itchiness, I suffered no other effects.

It took about 5 days for the swelling and itchiness to go. Similar to being stung by a wasp.

There have been a couple of reported deaths due to spider bites, but those were due to complications and not seeking medical attention.

It's those big red centipedes you need to worry about!