Cultural Crossroads - Thai Partners Abroad

David48

I like to hear Stories, Tips and Tricks from people, or people who know people, who have re-located to West.

There is a strong chance that Myself, my Thai Partner and our Boys will 'set up shop in the West' ... relocate.

She's been to my home town, met my friends, has travelled with my Family, heck, she's even picked her own Football Team to support.

Everything looks Rosy ... happy.png

But it always doesn't work out that way.

Sometimes, the containers are backed, goodbyes are said ... only to return to Thailand, 1, 2, 5 years later ... some don't even last that long ... facepalm.gif

So, I like to hear Stories, Tips and Tricks from people, or people who know people, who have re-located to West.

Stuff that you have done, stuff she has done, how did the kids, if any, cope.

Was it a disaster or are you living happily ever-after?

The good and the bad stories ... sometimes you can learn more from the mistakes!

Thanks in Advance ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

all i know is it will not work out well- in the long term!

she will miss the (original) food,the culture and most her social contacts.

hearsaying but I believe it's true....

CC,

Everyone is different. Whilst I can appreciate what you say, people are individuals and some Thais do extremely well outside Thailand. I know several successful Thais in Oz, two of them women who came here for business and a couple that came here with their partners.

My wife would be happy to live her days out in Australia and she's more than happy with a holiday back to Thailand for a few weeks every couple of years. I on the other hand would gladly go back home. I believe 'we' have the choice, which might be the difference, some people don't, well not completely anyway.

In this electronic world, the wife's closest friends (back home) are never far away, long are gone the days of expensive phone calls and written letters that either get lost in the mail or are irrelevant by the time they arrive.

Again, everyone's different, however It does help if the Thai partner can speak English fluently (or the local language) can read, can get about on their own and make friends with both fellow Thais and others independently. No different to foriegners in Thailand really.

Having said all of that, my wife doesn't have too many Thai friends in Australia but the ones she does have are absolute gold,I think that makes a difference. It's not uncommon for either of us to pick up the telephone to Thailand either, I even call some of the tools on this forum so I can tell them that 'they suck' in person.

The most important thing are chilli's, you need to make sure you can source real chilli's and if you really want to make an impression you should of already started growing real ones......please note, the crap they sell at Woolworths will NOT cut it ;).

They boys adapt easily, they are young enough to do that.

good morning....

+1

Having said all of that, my wife doesn't have too many Thai friends in Australia but the ones she does have are absolute gold,I think that makes a difference. It's not uncommon for either of us to pick up the telephone to Thailand either,

Yes, yes...

Rule # 1

Pick your Thai friends carefully!!! Good ones are gold, the rest can spell trouble. We built 30km out of town to avoid the trouble-makers.

And, as neverdie said; pick up that phone, or better still use Skype (or similar) as mentioned.

I forgot (hence the edit)..

You will really hone in on those budget airfares between Oz and Thailand. And at times the savings can be extraordinary, especially for a family of 4.

Edited by sipi

Sorry mate, I forgot. Neverdie touched on this also.

A garden!!

If you need any seeds (chilli, paw paw, Thai eggplant etc) PM me and I'll post some down. My wifes first garden here was simply some good potting mix from bunnings, and she planted straight into the bag (after cutting one side out); worked a treat.

We also have some Midnight Horror Tree plants you can have if your wife uses them. My wife eats the flowers (stuffed with seasoned pork), seeds and leaves. You cannot get them in Australia, but we have raised some from seed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroxylum_indicum

• Like 1

Could always suggest doing it for 18 years or until the boys can fend for themselves then return with frequent trips home for Mrs David..suggest its in the boys interest especially education/passport wise?

I did this with my Wife with be being the visitor for 4-5 years before moving here permanently, used to come for 2 months then work for 5

Edited by kannot

Sorry mate, I forgot. Neverdie touched on this also.

A garden!!

If you need any seeds (chilli, paw paw, Thai eggplant etc) PM me and I'll post some down. My wifes first garden here was simply some good potting mix from bunnings, and she planted straight into the bag (after cutting one side out); worked a treat.

We also have some Midnight Horror Tree plants you can have if your wife uses them. My wife eats the flowers (stuffed with seasoned pork), seeds and leaves. You cannot get them in Australia, but we have raised some from seed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroxylum_indicum

Be careful getting seeds n stuff into Oz they are quite strict.

• Like 1

Having said all of that, my wife doesn't have too many Thai friends in Australia but the ones she does have are absolute gold,I think that makes a difference. It's not uncommon for either of us to pick up the telephone to Thailand either,

Yes, yes...

Rule # 1

Pick your Thai friends carefully!!! Good ones are gold, the rest can spell trouble. We built 30km out of town to avoid the trouble-makers.

And, as neverdie said; pick up that phone, or better still use Skype (or similar) as mentioned.

I forgot (hence the edit)..

You will really hone in on those budget airfares between Oz and Thailand. And at times the savings can be extraordinary, especially for a family of 4.

Not sure if it still applies but kids under 2 used to go free, but had to sit on parents laps??

Hi Kannot. New phone do don't know how to "quote" yet. The seeds are in Australia and came from mother trees. Yes you can get fined heavily for bringing in seeds.

Kids under 2 normally fly free.

Edited by sipi

Thais living in America 250,000. Philippine people 3,500,000.

It is very difficult for a Thai person who is used to a large extended family to adjust to the Western world where the extended family is a thing of the past.

An analysis of the posts of the people in this thread Thai happy vs Thai unhappy will yield the answers to the questions posed by the OP.

I live in Thailand and am happy with most Thai people and the people who don't live in Thailand are unhappy with most Thai people.

David,

From what I recall of your posts, you were/are Sydney based? If this is/will be the case:

Campbell St in Sydney (near Central) is also known as ThaiTown - the local street signs also show this. So many Thai grocery stores...

There are 3 Thai Buddhist temples (that I am aware of) in Sydney -

Trafalgar St, Annandale (near Collins St) - although according to she who demands obeyance this is more of a gossip centre & she won't go back,

88 Stanmore Rd, Stanmore (this one was nice - I enjoyed being at here)

Lurnea (Liverpool) somewhere - I am aware of it, but not been there.

Undoubtedly there are more somewhere...

TW had a depressed time about 4 months after leaving home, it lasted a few weeks & happily I've not seen it again. She is now here just over 10 years (less the times she went back home).

For all the ones that say to pick friends carefully, I have to agree with immeasurable strength.

Of all the Thai TW has known here, only 1 she would bother with after a month - the others would just gossip or out with the daggers. She knew 2 were taking the 'hubby' for a ride (1 was a cop, she was/is a hooker). Mostly they were bar girls (not all) that got lucky. As much as she misses Thai talk, she prefers not to bother with them.

From memory, 1 problem we had when she got here was getting though her head that 1THB & 1AUD are NOT the same...

Hopefully this is of some help to you & others can fill in the bits I've missed/not sure of.

Good luck.

Be aware, be very aware of The Queen Bee, and make sure your mrs doesnt fall under her influence.

Yes ... well understood ... huge trap there.

I've read the horror stories.

That said, I don't know what the future brings, but, judging by her friends I know in Thailand, she has a eye for a good heart.

But, that's an assumption, yet to be proven.

My wife came to the UK and was there for 12 years ,then packed up and came home ,oh forgot to tell you so did me and our son biggrin.png mind you he cried his eyes out at leaving , but now 9 years later she misses the UK and i dont ,our son ? well he is in university

My wife loves the gold coast and northern NSW and has traveled to Australia about 6 times with me. She loves the weather and the food but she finds the cost of living scary. I can't say that I can argue the point that we live a better lifestyle in Thailand on a dollar for dollar basis.

She finds that having access to wifi is all she needs to keep in touch with family and even when we are in Thailand we would only see family once every 3 or 4 months for a lunch somewhere.

She speaks perfect English so she doesn't have any issue with communication, which is a great plus.

So from my point my wife accepts Australia no worries except the cost of living and I have to agree with her...the cost of living in Australia is becoming rediculous in some regions.

Luckily I can live anywhere as I fly in and out for work anyway.

• Like 1

My wife came to the UK and was there for 12 years ,then packed up and came home ,oh forgot to tell you so did me and our son biggrin.png mind you he cried his eyes out at leaving , but now 9 years later she misses the UK and i dont ,our son ? well he is in university

Your son is in Uni in the UK or Thailand?

I don't think you can generalize on this. Everybody has their own preferences. Some absolutely love living overseas and adapt very well. Some don't. It's just like looking at the reverse. Some foreigners do great over here, others absolutely hate it and can't wait to leave.

What were the reasons for her wanting to come back? Family connections? They can be very strong. I know my wife is happy in either location. Her rose colored glasses have been removed and she no longer thinks countries in the west have roads paved with gold, as sometimes portrayed on TV. Though she does talk about wanting to live here when her mother gets older to take care of her. So that could be a big deal for us in 7-10 years.

Wifey loves living in the US and we talk about going back pretty much every week. Then we talk about the things we like here and it all starts getting confusing. For both of us! If it wasn't for the extremely long flights, we'd consider bouncing back and forth. But the flights suck! 555555 And I do miss the cooler weather and easier access to outdoor activities.

She's obviously not a newbie when it comes to being overseas. Which makes a huge difference.

Does she prefer Thai friends when in your country or happy with locals? (my wife never associated with Thais when we were in the US, she loved meeting my friends and making new ones).

Does she like the food? (as mentioned above, my wife was happy shopping at the Asian market, and eating international foods).

Does she miss Thai TV? (my wife didn't miss that for a minute, doesn't even watch it here! 555)

We met a guy who brought his wife to live in the US. She hated it. Couldn't find som tam, didn't have the Thai TV setup, didn't like learning English. She lasted about a year and left him to go home.

Again, everybody's different. Best of luck with your situation!

TVF's #1 moderator & voice of reason.

Well said mrC.

• Like 1