Turning Tourist Visa into B-Visa WITHOUT having diploma?

Hello :) I'm graduating in December 2014 and plan on coming to Thailand in February 2015, then looking for work around April. However, the problem is that I'm graduating early - I should be graduating in May. This means that my university refuses to give me my physical diploma until June, which is when they normally give it, despite the fact that I've completed all my courses.

The real problem is that, even if the school i apply to accepts the letter I have from my uni saying I've graduated, I've been told by other people that I NEED the physical diploma in order to turn my tourist visa into a B-Visa. Is this true? And if so, is there any way around it?

Maybe this should be moved to the Teaching in Thailand forum?

Maybe someone like our moderator Scott will be along to answer.

I do know that a lot of teachers teach for a few months without that visa because either their employer school is slow or the process takes time. See if someone doesn't agree that just one month at the most is timely enough.

Maybe this should be moved to the Teaching in Thailand forum?

Maybe someone like our moderator Scott will be along to answer.

I do know that a lot of teachers teach for a few months without that visa because either their employer school is slow or the process takes time. See if someone doesn't agree that just one month at the most is timely enough.

Sorry if it's posted in the wrong forum! if a moderator wants to move it I'm totally fine with that

A diploma does not get you a B visa.

Only getting a work permit does that and depending upon the job you get it is not needed to get it.

but don't I need other documents along with the work permit, such as my diploma?

Edited by yungwerther

You need proof of your highest educaiton for your work permit.

You want to work as a teacher, that means it also depends on the kind of school if you need to show a degree (and transcript). For regular schools such as elementary and secondary schools you need a (waiver of) the teaching license, which you only get on show of your degree and transcript.

For a language school for example no degree is required.

You need proof of your highest educaiton for your work permit.

You want to work as a teacher, that means it also depends on the kind of school if you need to show a degree (and transcript). For regular schools such as elementary and secondary schools you need a (waiver of) the teaching license, which you only get on show of your degree and transcript.

For a language school for example no degree is required.

okay, so the work permit is necessary for turning my work visa into a B-visa, and for my work permit I need proof of my higher education - but what constitutes "proof" will depend upon the school I apply to. some schools may want the diploma, others may be fine with a letter from my uni. have I understood correctly?

The kind of school determines what proof is needed, not the school itself. Although the beter schools will definately want to see your qualifications.

Note that if you have not a degree in education and are a qualified teacher, you need a waiver of the teaching license. This waiver is only temporarily, giving you time to become qualified.

The kind of school determines what proof is needed, not the school itself. Although the beter schools will definately want to see your qualifications.

Note that if you have not a degree in education and are a qualified teacher, you need a waiver of the teaching license. This waiver is only temporarily, giving you time to become qualified.

Okay, thanks for the clarification about that.

Also, how do I get the waiver of teaching license? Would the school I apply to help me secure that?

Hey again, sorry but I have another question if that's okay. I just wanted to ask, what exactly is defined as being a "qualified teacher"? I was planning on getting a CELTA certificate - would that be enough to qualify me?

No, that is not enough. A qualified teacher would be someone with a degree in education and (preferably) a teaching license from your own country.

You can get a waiver for a few year, possibly up to 6 years. During that time you must try to become a qualified teacher and get a degree in educaiton or past some test.

• Like 1

No, that is not enough. A qualified teacher would be someone with a degree in education and (preferably) a teaching license from your own country.

You can get a waiver for a few year, possibly up to 6 years. During that time you must try to become a qualified teacher and get a degree in educaiton or past some test.

Okay, that's disappointing but very helpful to know. Thanks again for all your help

There was a course in Thai ethics and customs which was required and 4 levels of English exams to take which you took to qualify for the Thai Teacher's license, but that's all on hold until we hear what the new or similar requirement is. Until then we get waivers. I was never asked for transcripts, but many others have been. Without your physical diploma probably a good idea to bring. And originals, not copies of that degree. CELTA and similar programs are not required, but may help you find work quicker and personally, help you be a better teacher.

It's not a cakewalk here. 50 plus undisciplined kids, loud, disrespectful, not wanting to learn English. It can be a nightmare......I love every minute of it!

You do not need a diploma/degree or a work permit to get a non B for teaching.

You will be provided with a 90 day non B providing the school provides all the correct documents.

You will then need to apply for your teachers waver/licence which does require a degree, a teaching degree to get a licence. However, they may accept a letter from the university and provide a waver. You will not recieve a work permit without the waver/licence.

Having got your work permit you then proceed to your local immigration to obtain an extension to your non B which will be extended to March 31 end of school year.

If you do not have a work permit you probably wont get an extension. However, they may grant a 30 day extension if it is possible to get your degree and work permit within that time.

Depending on which province you are in, both the Labour office and immigration can be flexible and helpful or downright rude and unhelpful.

I forgot to mention that if you apply for the non B in your own country with an invitatation and contract from your school it is possible in some consulates to get a 90 day Non B. You will need to check this with the consulates in your own country. Whatever, you wont need to show a degree at this point.

It would be a good idea to get a TEFL, preferably in Thailand as you will get a first hand on the job experience of teaching Thai kids, which is an eye opener. Personally, after getting over the shock (it took

6 months) I really enjoy it and this shows, and motivates the students.

The current requirement is for a teaching degree to get a teachers licence, otherwise you are limited to a maximum of six years of wavers. But who knows, the requirements seem to change every five minutes. As they say, and I can vouch for it, if there is a will there is a way, to legally get around this.

Other option wait until June and then come

Good luck