what did I see

seajae

the other night when we got home after dinner I noticed a rather large insect/moth? flying around just on the edge of the lit area from the street light in front of our house. It would have been around 4" to 5" across but I was unable to see the colour or whether it was 2 sets of double wings or single wings as it kept to the edge of the light but when I positioned myself differently I was surprised to see a tail/body around 2" long protruding beyond the wings. It looked like it fattened up towards the end of the tail too, to be honest I have no idea what it was as I have never seen anything like it. Had to laugh when the wife said it looked like a little dragon but I have to admit it did a bit but I could not see the head at all.

I was hoping someone in here can actually clue me in as I have never seen anything like it and it has not been around since, would be good to be able to identify whatever it was.biggrin.png

just went through all those pics and with the wings open some of then actually do look like what I saw, it was bloody big for a moth and the tail was definitely long and protruding from the wings as some of the pics show, wish I had of been able to get a clearer look or even a pic, probably could do a rough drawing

No idea, have seen one but not in flight that was around 4 inches. Your description made me think of them as they are pretty bizarre.

thanks Scully, mate, that sounds about the right size and my wife just confirmed it as well from the pic. Had me totally stumped as I have never seen anything like it before, must not be very common but I will keep an eye out now I know what they are, cheers.

• Like 1