The best way to deal with bogus telemarketers .

SimonCC

As a busniness owner, have been receiving many unwanted calls from Filipina telemarketers ove the last 5-6 years. They all start with informing me they will sent me a free information package about the sevices of their company and once sent, they will call you non stop to follow up and try aggressivle sell you thier (fake?) finacial products. Have been trying many different approaches from friendly declining to asking them if they really have nothing better to do and demanding to be put of their list, but to no avail. Today was the first time I was able to make her promply cut the phone on me within one minute. Best advice I can give people having the same calls: right away, ask them their name, their company name and where it is based. She asked me why I was interested in the names as I just informed her I was not interested in any services of her company, I told her I was in front of my computer and could not find any Google match on the company name provided. Click*

Edited by SimonCC

Very occasionally I also get "financial products" marketing calls, but it is always westerners (the way they sound, native English speakers) calling from I presume Bangkok. I always tell them I have nothing to invest and don't want to waste their time, and wish them good luck. People calling to sell other products or services are invariably Thai.

Edited by keestha

For a few years I was a member of a chamber of commerce and got many calls with English accents trying to sell me financial investment packages, they were quite rude and would not take no for an answer. On most accasions I had to tell them where to go.

The only answer that seem to work was I said a family member handles my finances and has given me wonderful profits on my investments. They normally give up and never ring back.

you have the best weapon at hand in your security guards kit. A whistle.''

Get hold of it( the whistle) and when one of these low life callers starts you put the whistle in to your mouth right next to the phone and give it the best blast you can.

The pain the caller feels and the temporary deafness will almost guarantee you won't be bothered by that caller again.

This advice is based on advice given many a year back by one of my W.P.C,s to ladies who received heavy breathing phone calls.

Simple but effective.

But be careful when they call back again...
  • Like 2

I get these nuisance calls from time to time as well - often from India but sometimes (they say) from New York - although I doubt that. I have found the way that asking for their personal name and phone number, name and address of company usually cuts them off pretty sharpish. The other way is to just put the phone down on the desk and let them talk to thin air - they soon get the message that way too.

How do I deal with Telemarketers? Well, it depends who is telephoning.

1) Aussies/Americans etc ring up from a hothouse in (I presume) Bangkok. Selling Financial Services. "Hello Ian, How are you today". "Who are you? Who gave you my number?", I say. "My name is ..... and I can help you make the best of your investments/retirement cash [and so on]". ME: "Thank you so much, now please $$$$ off and do not phone me ever again!". Then cut the call.

2) Thai/Filippina speaking in accented English selling something I interrupt their speel and say: "One minute! If you have time would you like to come and stay with me tonight?". That usually produces silence, or they cut off the phone call - it's a real conversation stopper and so far not one person has accepted my offer. Just as well as the wife would be slightly unhappy if they did!!!!! Male or Female, I make the same offer.

Anyway: just two strategies for you. Let us all know how you get on !!!!

Edited by ianf
  • Like 2

So easy, especially if you have been listed as "high networth individual", your phone number is like spread all over their lists.

1) Act stupid. Talk like a retard, make the conversation go no where. It's them who would want to hang up the phone, not you. Or start talking about your dog and stuff. Most people become victims of these telemarketing because they "follow orders" of the caller. You are expected to listen and say yes and nod. Break that cycle, you will be surprised.

2) Load up one of the scariest most irritable sound you can ever imagine hearing, nails scratching, people getting chopped off screaming in pain. Save it, play it when they call.

I'm sure they won't call again. giggle.gif

• Like 1

I tell them I'm very interested and ask them to wait while I go for a pen and paper. I then put the phone down (not hang up) and go back to whatever I was doing, remembering to eventually hang up some time later in the day.

I was reading that one guy when he receives these calls ask:

(1)Who are you calling?

(2)Well Mr Jack Smith was just found dead in this room with the phone you just called on.

(3)I am Detective Joe Friday on the investigation now

(4)I will need your full name with all details so the police can interview you concerning this homicide

ha ha

• Like 1

Well your not the smartest sheep in the paddock ,are you? You let them send the free shit then you are complaining about their follow up calls,,,,just don't talk to them ,when they call close the call ,,,,you don't have to say anything.

I have tried screaming obscenities and insults at them, but it had little effect. My best result occurred with this routine:

Telemarketing cold caller: "Mr. (my name), I have wonderful news for you, you have been prequalified for a Discover Card"

Me: Wow, that is so exciting! I'm so happy that I have something for you, too!

Me: I put the phone next to my ass and unleashed hell. The timing could not have been better. It was a ripper of epic proportions.

At this point, I did not say anything more. I just listened closely to the phone. I knew she was still on the line, because I could hear other operators talking and typing in the background. My operator, however, seemed stupefied and struck dumb. She was unable to utter a word. After about 10 seconds, I couldn't help laughing hysterically, and had to hang up.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum Simon ... great first post.

May I clarify?

You have Filipino Telemarketers calling you in Thailand and speaking English?

You are in Thailand?

Yesterday I had a lady calling my home number here in Bkk about participating in some

lottery caper, she sound Slavic, so go figure.. maybe she was one of those Grace hotel

night girls who also has a day job...