Networking Question

sbk

My DSL signal goes off the air every night at 6:35 pm when the street lights which are attached to the electric poles (and right next to the phone lines) turn on. Since there is no way I can get the tessabahn to turn the street lights off or move them off the poles or get TT&T to put up their own poles so I can keep my DSL signal I am forced to use dial up after 6:35 pm.

So, the question I have is: right now I have two computers each plugged into the DSL modem by ethernet cable. At night I disable the DSL, unplug the phone line and plug it into my dialup modem. Is it possible to then network the two computers so that both can use the dial up? Or is this more trouble than it is worth?

You could use Internet Connection Sharing on the PC that has the modem, this may prove to be a real bind since you are using an ADSL router at other times.

OR

There are routers available that can talk to a dial-up line as a backup to the ADSL (ADSL dies, dialup happens automatically), my old Dell router did it but I've no idea what the model was, time for Mr Google to do his job.

EDIT Zyxel Prestige 662HW does it

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B6JnR4X...MzdiYzM_.0.html

May even be available in Thailand :o

Edited by Crossy

There is no reason you'd have to unplug/plug the phone lines every day. Just leave both DSL and normal modem always plugged in. They can even be used simultaneously... there is no interference. Just remember to use an ADSL filter, and connect the normal modem to the "phone" plug.

You probably lose some of the ADSL signal strenght after 6:30, a neat trick you can try is to keep the telephone of the hook.

After a few seconds the telephone signal will shutdown, and this makes the whole line available for the ADSL signal.

Okay I know some of us will say this not helps, the basic telephone signal is not even near the ADSL signal so this will not effect another.....That was what I was saying first, but my Thai collega proof me wrong, and it works to "boost" the ADSL signal

Edited by Richard-BKK

You should find that when you dial up from one ot the computers, the two are still networked via the ADSL modem, which is also an ethernet hub.

So no need to change anything.

Just make sure the ADSL modem is powered up. :o

You should find that when you dial up from one ot the computers, the two are still networked via the ADSL modem, which is also an ethernet hub.

Just make sure the ADSL modem is powered up. :o

you will need to change things if the modem is serving DHCP, when windows tries to configure internet connection sharing if it sees another DHCP server it shuts the sharing service down, easiest way would be use a cross over cable between the two PC's or set the PC's with static IP's,

with static IP's its not so good as you have to have either two default gateways set on the second PC or switch them when dsl is down, note when Internet connection sharing turns on it sets the PC for 192.168.0.1 on the main PC. (make sure the router isnt same IP)

You probably lose some of the ADSL signal strenght after 6:30, a neat trick you can try is to keep the telephone of the hook.

After a few seconds the telephone signal will shutdown, and this makes the whole line available for the ADSL signal.

Okay I know some of us will say this not helps, the basic telephone signal is not even near the ADSL signal so this will not effect another.....That was what I was saying first, but my Thai collega proof me wrong, and it works to "boost" the ADSL signal

Tried that trick already. The electrical interference from a few kilometers of street lights is too much.

Just make sure the ADSL modem is powered up. :D

This one didn't work either :o

you will need to change things if the modem is serving DHCP, when windows tries to configure internet connection sharing if it sees another DHCP server it shuts the sharing service down, easiest way would be use a cross over cable between the two PC's or set the PC's with static IP's,

with static IP's its not so good as you have to have either two default gateways set on the second PC or switch them when dsl is down, note when Internet connection sharing turns on it sets the PC for 192.168.0.1 on the main PC. (make sure the router isnt same IP)

Will I have difficulty with the networked computer trying to connect to the other computer for the internet during the day then? I have had that problem with it trying to connect with the dialup modem and found the only way to make it stop was to delete the connection during the day and run the wizard all over again every night. I had unchecked it as the default connection too. Is there anyway around this annoyance either?

If it was me. I would contact the provider and get them to supply a solution.

Your paying for a service which is unusable much of the time. :o

I would suggest to them that it would be very nice and I would be forever thankful...become a budhist, etc...if they could send an engineer out to look at the problem and propose a solution.

Don't tell them you use a dialup if it fails..Just that the ADSL stops working after 630 pm. Don't tell them your thoughts (using that damned farang logic) let them work something out. They may only have to boost the line gain and the engineer will try that first. I agree that they probably won't put new poles up for but thay may move the wires to the other side of the pole if that proves sufficient.

Also. If all else fails, you want compensation....right? :D

If they can't work something out then suggest to them a discount on the basis that you are excruciatingly pleased with thier daytime service or perhaps a better package for no increase in price. Maybe even that they set your computers up to use modem back-up for when the ADSL goes down. Why do all the hard work when you've already payed someone else to do it :D

Be polite, patient and agreeable. I'm sure thay will sort someting out.

I would suggest to them that it would be very nice and I would be forever thankful...become a budhist, etc...if they could send an engineer out to look at the problem and propose a solution.

Don't tell them you use a dialup if it fails..Just that the ADSL stops working after 630 pm. Don't tell them your thoughts (using that damned farang logic) let them work something out. They may only have to boost the line gain and the engineer will try that first. I agree that they probably won't put new poles up for but thay may move the wires to the other side of the pole if that proves sufficient.

If they can't work something out then suggest to them a discount on the basis that you are excruciatingly pleased with thier daytime service or perhaps a better package for no increase in price. Maybe even that they set your computers up to use modem back-up for when the ADSL goes down. Why do all the hard work when you've already payed someone else to do it :D

Just out of curiousity, how long have you lived in Thailand? :D

Just out of curiousity, how long have you lived in Thailand? :D

:D:D

totster :D

after 4 days of my DSL going off at 5:30pm and comming back at 6:30pm i rang CS Loxinfo only to be put in the tech service queue where the line kept getting cut off after a minute or so, so on the dialup (frustrated now) i sent a email asking if they could look into the problem, next day they rang talked to me about the problem and said they would check it that evening, which it did happen again, but after that has not occured again, dont know what they did to fix it tho.

My experience with Loxinfo has been mixed. Their service can be sometimes good, sometimes bad. A call to them may or may not produce results... sometimes I've seen the service change from horrible to great after giving them a call.

Thing is, I really hate the inconsistancy of their service, and the fact that I *do* have to give them a call to make things change. I can't understand why they have to keep changing their configuration, which changes my performance dramatically, which means that I have to constantly call and complain, which makes them make more changes, and then the cycle starts all over again. It's a really "high maintenance" service, on the side of the customer.

Tried that trick already. The electrical interference from a few kilometers of street lights is too much.

Just make sure the ADSL modem is powered up. :D

This one didn't work either :o

Will I have difficulty with the networked computer trying to connect to the other computer for the internet during the day then? I have had that problem with it trying to connect with the dialup modem and found the only way to make it stop was to delete the connection during the day and run the wizard all over again every night. I had unchecked it as the default connection too. Is there anyway around this annoyance either?

Anyway, is there an answer to this question please :D

So what you want:

- use adsl when available

- automatically switch to dialup if adsl is not available

and most important:

it has to be automatic without you being troubled by it.

Yes there is a solution.

Cisco has made two boxes, the 837 and SOHO 97, for use in small offices and homes. 4 ethernet ports for computers, an adsl port and a port where you can plug in a modem.

Next questions: what does it cost and where to get it?

Option 1: eBay, up to 5000 baht is fair.

Option 2: Fortune BKK - there's a shop selling Cisco equipment, but I don't know if they have this model and how much they're asking for it. Been there once and within 2 minutes it was clear that the staff didn't have any knowledge about Cisco except reading the model number off the box.

Maybe another ThaiVisa member is willing to check it out....

....and if you're going for this solution I'll be happy to help you configuring and setting up everything.

Edited by Prasert

I think the reason she's losing signal is EMI from the lights transformer, Its just too close to the line.

I personally would contact the provider and if they dont fix it, get another provider and see what they can do.. at minumum a new provider can change the location of the line on the pole thus minimizing the problem

Greg

Edited by griser

I think the reason she's losing signal is EMI from the lights transformer, Its just too close to the line.

I personally would contact the provider and if they dont fix it, get another provider and see what they can do.. at minumum a new provider can change the location of the line on the pole thus minimizing the problem

Greg

Sorry, provider of what? The ISP has nothing to do with the phone lines and I am not in the TOT phone area. Short of paying out at least 5000 baht to have a TOT line strung about 3k I have no choice but to use TT&T. TT&T is not going to restring the entire line just for my DSL. And, unfortunately for me, I am in an area with very few DSL customers so even if all of us banded together we wouldn't be an economic force to deal with.

I live on a small island, my choices are very limited.

The cisco box sounds interesting, thanks for the tip.

One thing though, how do I stop the computer from attempting to connect through the dial up when the DSL is being used? I have the DSL set as the default connection but it still tries to connect through the dial up every time a new window is opened.