Prayut blows his top when asked about father's land sale

webfact

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some things that should be kept personal for the general, however this huge amount of family wealth is not one as it's of public interest. How dare reporters and posters discuss it, you will hurt his feeling's.

It was his father's land that was sold and Prayuth disclosed that he got a share of the proceeds. He didn't say it was the maids or drivers. The company mentioned wasn't set up by him but by the purchaser!

Non story really!

No, because of the circumstances, it is a story, really.

If there was nothing queer about the deal, why is the PM getting so upset? His reaction makes my 'suspicion antennae' quiver. Seems he's got something to hide. It is high time reporters got over centuries of culture of kowtowing to their 'betters' and became the questioning voice of the people. The reporter is brave and I wish him every success.

The sale is probably completely legitimate.

How his father came to own the land in the first place on the other hand ...

A consortium to purchase the land was put together rather hastily; only a few days before the sale. Knowing Thailand ways of doing business and knowing how real-estate deals in the US can take considerable time to work out prices and other details, this all strikes me as odd. Remember that when Dr. Thaksin had the foreign ownership laws for telecoms changed so that the investment arm of the Singapore government could buy 49% of ShinCorp. and, within days, the sale went through with all the details having already been worked out? That stank of collusion and conspiracy. There is enough suspicion in my mind that an independent inquiry is required to either clear or condemn this land deal. Maybe the PM is not guilty but he should not have the authority to cover for his father's possible wrongdoing.

If there was nothing queer about the deal, why is the PM getting so upset? His reaction makes my 'suspicion antennae' quiver. Seems he's got something to hide. It is high time reporters got over centuries of culture of kowtowing to their 'betters' and became the questioning voice of the people. The reporter is brave and I wish him every success.

A consortium to purchase the land was put together rather hastily; only a few days before the sale. Knowing Thailand ways of doing business and knowing how real-estate deals in the US can take considerable time to work out prices and other details, this all strikes me as odd. Remember that when Dr. Thaksin had the foreign ownership laws for telecoms changed so that the investment arm of the Singapore government could buy 49% of ShinCorp. and, within days, the sale went through with all the details having already been worked out? That stank of collusion and conspiracy. There is enough suspicion in my mind that an independent inquiry is required to either clear or condemn this land deal. Maybe the PM is not guilty but he should not have the authority to cover for his father's possible wrongdoing.

Where do your get the information that a consortium was put together rather rapidly?

Was the consortium put together hastily or did they take 12 months to put it together, and then once they put it together, the deal got done?

The Shin corp deal is different. It couldn't get done without the law change, but the deal was done very quickly once it was changed. Obviously they knew well ahead of time that the laws were going to change.

This was a standard land deal. As far as I'm aware, there was nothing stopping the deal from going through earlier. There were no laws changed to allow the deal to go through.

I have no doubt that there was dodgy dealings in his father getting the land (or getting the money to buy the land) originally, but there is probably no issue with the actual sale of the land.

Where do your get the information that a consortium was put together rather rapidly?

From the OP. When another reporter asked him while a firm that was just formed seven days bought the land, Prayut replied that it was personal matter of his family and he had his rights to privacy.

Well gingag even though we have been at logger heads and you have your opinion it's becoming evident that either you are just trolling and baiting or Yingluck and Thaksin has tone your head in.

Your requesting other posters not to include your name in their replies yet you continue to use others and that is double standards.

If we didn't have different opinions then forums like this would not exist to vent our feelings.

Believe it or not gin I like some of your points that you make and I enjoy the robust debate as we all do but your doing yourself no favours with your undying love for the junta.

Gin I'm all for demroracy and freedom of the press and had circumstances been different and it was the yellow dems kicked out out by the junta I would still be calling for a return to demroracy. .

Demroracy might not be the best system but it beats what ever comes second!

You have to remember. It works both ways, when Abhisit was in power it was bash bash----then along came Yingluck we are not allowed our view of that regime, far far more bad, and no bashing from some of this clan, now the PM is in power it's bash time again.

We never had democracy with PTP if you do believe that then something wrong upstairs.

Why don't I do my self favours because I am happy at this moment to go along with him, as for your Quote " undying love for him" you are not doing yourself any favours.

You are not going to get this dream democracy unless something change here, but you still think the PM kicked out democracy-your deluded. So the question comes back to my point, Until Thai democracy is snuffed out and reality sets in then we can move forward.

If you guys want to hack me down for some truths -up to you. LOVE OF THE PM No WAY go along with it YES YES YES.

Lucky Thailand finally has a democracy now then, not?

Restrictions on press freedom to stay: Prawit

Social media killed the censorship Zhar.

It is clear that a consortium was established specifically to purchase this land since the registration went through only 7 days after the company was formed. Would you suggest that the negotiations to buy the land only started 6 days prior to the registration?

From the OP. When another reporter asked him while a firm that was just formed seven days bought the land, Prayut replied that it was personal matter of his family and he had his rights to privacy.

The firm was formed 7 days before. That doesn't mean it didn't take 12 months to form it.

Edited by whybother

Was the consortium put together hastily or did they take 12 months to put it together, and then once they put it together, the deal got done?

The Shin corp deal is different. It couldn't get done without the law change, but the deal was done very quickly once it was changed. Obviously they knew well ahead of time that the laws were going to change.

This was a standard land deal. As far as I'm aware, there was nothing stopping the deal from going through earlier. There were no laws changed to allow the deal to go through.

I have no doubt that there was dodgy dealings in his father getting the land (or getting the money to buy the land) originally, but there is probably no issue with the actual sale of the land.

You are jumping to conclusions in your final paragraph.There is potentially a huge and toxic problem in the sale of the land if Charoen was involved and if there was significant reason to doubt that commercial criteria were applied.I don't think you are naive so there is no need to spell more of this out.It certainly needs to be investigated.

It is clear that a consortium was established specifically to purchase this land since the registration went through only 7 days after the company was formed. Would you suggest that the negotiations to buy the land only started 6 days prior to the registration?

They negotiated. They made an agreement. They set up a company. They registered the sale.

The firm was formed 7 days before. That doesn't mean it didn't take 12 months to form it.

Maybe we each have different standards of what we find suspicious. I find it suspicious that a not-yet-formed-company was negotiating a 600 million Baht land deal but they don't register themselves until seven days before the sale. Not exactly like a well-established company with experience in land holding/trading would behave. Considering the size of the deal, I would not have expected any other than a well-established company to do the deal.

• Like 1

When you are in the public eye you have to be whiter than white, you always have to expect difficult unexpected questions, it comes with the job although its not on the job description.

Not as easy you think this Prime Minister thing!

Funny, it makes you think that power really does trump wealth.

Maybe we each have different standards of what we find suspicious. I find it suspicious that a not-yet-formed-company was negotiating a 600 million Baht land deal but they don't register themselves until seven days before the sale. Not exactly like a well-established company with experience in land holding/trading would behave. Considering the size of the deal, I would not have expected any other than a well-established company to do the deal.

You don't need a company to negotiate a sale.

If you a setting up a consortium to by property, why would you set up a company before you had negotiated a deal?

They negotiated. They made an agreement. They set up a company. They registered the sale.

How does a company that doesn't exist negotiate ?

• Like 1

Is that a serious question?

• Like 1

You are jumping to conclusions in your final paragraph.There is potentially a huge and toxic problem in the sale of the land if Charoen was involved and if there was significant reason to doubt that commercial criteria were applied.I don't think you are naive so there is no need to spell more of this out.It certainly needs to be investigated.

Sorry ... who's jumping to conclusions?

don't bash your head too hard against the wall.
  • Like 1

Maybe you don't understand the difference and what's involved between a CONSORTIUM and a person who establishes a company ltd to register a land deal

If you a setting up a consortium to by property, why would you set up a company before you had negotiated a deal?

Which all points to the deal being 'closely held'/insider. The land wasn't publicly advertised as being for sale (why not if you wanted to get the highest price?) and the company that bought it didn't disclose its existence until seven days before the sale went through. You have been living in Thailand long enough to know there's something sneaky about this (and most other) transaction(s). My personal belief is that the sale went through quickly to nominees of the PM's father so he/they could avoid the new inheritance tax of 10%. That would be roughly $2,000,000 to the treasury and not in the pocket of the father. Is sixty million Baht not enough incentive?

Really, are ALL politicians in the west 100% transparent, honest, truthful etc etc?

No one has ever swindled anyone?

WOW! The wow factor seems to be sky high.

Such honesty...such goodness...

That's nice, but we're discussing Thailand here. Go back to bed and let your beautful Thai wife wow you some more.

Which all points to the deal being 'closely held'/insider. The land wasn't publicly advertised as being for sale (why not if you wanted to get the highest price?) and the company that bought it didn't disclose its existence until seven days before the sale went through. You have been living in Thailand long enough to know there's something sneaky about this (and most other) transaction(s). My personal belief is that the sale went through quickly to nominees of the PM's father so he/they could avoid the new inheritance tax of 10%. That would be roughly $2,000,000 to the treasury and not in the pocket of the father. Is sixty million Baht not enough incentive?

The company didn't disclose it's existence ... because it didn't exist.

Has it been suggested that 600 million baht was too cheap?

I'm not sure what the laws are now, but couldn't Prayuth's father have given Prayuth the land instead of selling it and giving him cash?