Prayut blows his top when asked about father's land sale

webfact

maybe some of you self professed smart people on here that have managed to create pages and pages of (deleted) would like to explain to a layman like me what exactly the good general has done wrong here

He declared his assets (like he should) hiding nothing

His family sold some land (up to them)

They were well aware of inheritance tax being looked at these last few weeks just like every other person in Thailand - pretty sure if I was Thai and had something to hand down I'd hired an accountant and been quick about it before it gets slapped with 10% tax

IMO there is nothing to see here - move along

• Like 1

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This "Prime Minister" wants to rub elbows with ellected officials from civilised countries. Countries where officials are taken to task over the finances, but he does not wish to be scrutinized. Sadly this all could have been above board, legal and quite innocent. Now, because of his behavior, he has casted further doubt on his ability to lead. He is like an angry child

go ahead and scrutinize - I'd like to here someone add some substance to this thread because as far as I can read it all just pointless dribble about nothing much

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

This "Prime Minister" wants to rub elbows with ellected officials from civilised countries. Countries where officials are taken to task over the finances, but he does not wish to be scrutinized. Sadly this all could have been above board, legal and quite innocent. Now, because of his behavior, he has casted further doubt on his ability to lead. He is like an angry child

go ahead and scrutinize - I'd like to here someone add some substance to this thread because as far as I can read it all just pointless dribble about nothing much

You do have the option to choose a different thread or read properly what peoples' concerns are. The question is whether he has done something wrong, not what. Also some are interested in how his wealth was acquired in the first place. If you yourself are not interested, please feel free to move along now you have disparaged those who are.

• Like 1

Does that pass for a logical argument where you're from?

The likes of Ginjack, would not know a logical argument even if he met it in the high street.

You don't even know my name - even if it's in bright lights in the high street.

I would rather have the PM for all the talk than the one that was booted out, he has flaws I know, but not on the scale as the last regime. This is why I am going along on the bumpy road.-----GINJAG Do you drink gin-jack ??

maybe some of you self professed smart people on here that have managed to create pages and pages of (deleted) would like to explain to a layman like me what exactly the good general has done wrong here

They were well aware of inheritance tax being looked at these last few weeks just like every other person in Thailand - pretty sure if I was Thai and had something to hand down I'd hired an accountant and been quick about it before it gets slapped with 10% tax

He may not have done anything wrong.However more investigation is needed because there are some points of concern, most of which have been flagged in this thread.A pressing issue is clarification of the role and motives of Khun Charoen.

I have an open mind.You clearly do not although from your simple minded comments I suspect you don't understand the genuine concerns.

Prayuth hardly helps his cause given his petulant and immature response to reasonable questions.Remember this was the fellow who promised to root out corruption so transparency in his own affairs is essential.

• Like 2

You do have the option to choose a different thread or read properly what peoples' concerns are. The question is whether he has done something wrong, not what. Also some are interested in how his wealth was acquired in the first place. If you yourself are not interested, please feel free to move along now you have disparaged those who are.

Those who are interested are the ones that want to find any little thing they can latch on to, to justify the intervention was not good and find fault as much as possible.

Just to compare look at was tolerated re wealth, in the last regime.

Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird

No its a plane

Its El Presidente

Yes, it’s El Presidente, strange visitor from another planet who came to Thailand with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. El Presidente, who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, fix the taxi service, clean the beach of scum. And who, disguised as a General, mild-mannered army officer for a great Southeast Asian army, fights a never ending battle for truth, justice and the American/Russian/Chinese way. And now another exciting episode in the adventures of El Presidente.

It’s a bit like that. And when will the press learn, not to ask questions that are not on the script.

These jurno's now will have a visit from the Thai Colonels.

So I wonder if Ms Y's family were exempt from such an intrusion of personal and confidential information?

What is good for one is good for all.

I agree that leader's wealth is always under scrutiny. My complaint was about his behavior, which was out of order. It could have been above board, but now he has created more scrutiny. He just does not BEHAVE like a leader of a free country

Those who are interested are the ones that want to find any little thing they can latch on to, to justify the intervention was not good and find fault as much as possible.

Just to compare look at was tolerated re wealth, in the last regime.

Fine, scrutinise them too and put them on trial if need be. I will only stand up for them insofar as they were elected by the people and will continue to do so, but personally I didn't and don't like them one little bit...

• Like 1

whats the big deal everyone is barking about? he declared it in his asset report! he is following the law, unbelievable some people can't read properly! Its not like that he tried to hide it and got caught, how the land was bought with which company is non of anyones business, its private matters.

In the case of Thaksin, he changed the law to benefit his own company. They did things related to the public sector that wholly benefited themselves. Thaksin falsified his asset report and put it under his driver and maids.

Which is great. I wonder how his father came to own this piece of land worth 600mn. I mean I know land was cheap back then, but ...

Wasn't his father in the forces too?

Not trying to protect Prayuth but people should be scrutinizing Prayuth's father than, not Prayuth. Land is indeed cheap back then, anyone who owns a big piece of land around Bangkok from 20 years ago will see the land prices increase by at least 10x in the right locations, even bigger increase if it was bought 30 years ago.

In the case of Thaksin, he changed the law to benefit his own company. They did things related to the public sector that wholly benefited themselves. Thaksin falsified his asset report and put it under his driver and maids.

Prayuth has a father and siblings. wink.png

but he wasn't caught or did not falsified his asset declaration report did he? So don't see the point of saying he has siblings unless the proof is there that he falsified his asset declaration.

In my naivety I was very positive that the new regime in Thailand would bring about genunie change regarding corruption etc, despite the manner in which the current PM 'acquired' his position.

I then read stories in the press of his collection of luxury watches, executive cars and expensive jewellery. Not bad for a man who officially has never earned my than $45,000 per year.

Now I read this story about land deals totalling 600 million THB.

600 million Baht!

That's quite phenominal. That's not just a matter of selling a couple rai of rice paddies. That's a land deal on a huge scale.

So despite all of his talk on anti-corruption is it not unreasonable to say that the current PM is no better than the mob he replaced?

This country will never learn. Corruption will be here long, long after the rest of us has gone.

His father sold the land. The question to ask is how much did his father earn per year.

No that's not the question.Many Thais have low salaries but hold valuable family land.The question is who purchased the land, did they pay a commercial price and if not why not.

Apart from the dubious financial vehicle that was exploited by the General and his family, then dig a bit deeper to find out how his Father, (Him and his family originally from Korat ), came into possession of the land in Bangkok in the first place !!!! Check out the years and what position his father held at the time !!!

He may not have done anything wrong.However more investigation is needed because there are some points of concern, most of which have been flagged in this thread.A pressing issue is clarification of the role and motives of Khun Charoen.

I have an open mind.You clearly do not although from your simple minded comments I suspect you don't understand the genuine concerns.

Prayuth hardly helps his cause given his petulant and immature response to reasonable questions.Remember this was the fellow who promised to root out corruption so transparency in his own affairs is essential.

It's nobody elses business - he declared his assets to the world - don't you get it

If his father was smart enough to buy a plot of land 50 years ago for the family then it seems to have worked out pretty well

I guess as you say (with insult) my small mind just can't handle it - right ?

• Like 2

Questions asked-- no problem if they are legit, But who reported that he Quote " blew his top " ??? who decided to put this into a topic this way ??

inviting anger, and TVF are wanting to conform to no harsh criticism----- then blasts this heading here. This week there have been more and more invitation to the PM haters, but yet feed them fodder for replies.

Headlines need to be scaled down and fair. so as everyone no matter what opinion can comment without inflated topic headings.

awwww it`s no fun when it`s not like it used to be, when everyone was too scared to speak out laugh.png Cheering team yellow is only fun when people don`t bite back I guess wink.png Just blame Thaksin, isn`t that the usual trick?

I think everyone can see the tide is changing, bit by bit people are speaking out against this charade. 2015 is going to be a huge year in the Kingdom

this

Questions asked-- no problem if they are legit, But who reported that he Quote " blew his top " ??? who decided to put this into a topic this way ??

inviting anger, and TVF are wanting to conform to no harsh criticism----- then blasts this heading here. This week there have been more and more invitation to the PM haters, but yet feed them fodder for replies.

Headlines need to be scaled down and fair. so as everyone no matter what opinion can comment without inflated topic headings.

awwww it`s no fun when it`s not like it used to be, when everyone was too scared to speak out laugh.png Cheering team yellow is only fun when people don`t bite back I guess wink.png Just blame Thaksin, isn`t that the usual trick?

I think everyone can see the tide is changing, bit by bit people are speaking out against this charade. 2015 is going to be a huge year in the Kingdom

this

and I see they are already writing one of my proposals into the new constitution making it easier to remove a very obviously faulty and corrupt government from office without the need for military intervention

The charade that went on from November last year was an embarrassment as PTP tried every twisted thing the could think of to remain in government, what a circus

• Like 1

this

and I see they are already writing one of my proposals into the new constitution making it easier to remove a very obviously faulty and corrupt government from office without the need for military intervention

The charade that went on from November last year was an embarrassment as PTP tried every twisted thing the could think of to remain in government, what a circus

Will that mean the current government can remove themselves ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good answer from the Premier.......

Well no it is not.

He is a PM and as such he is open to all sorts of questions including his personal life.

He declared the asset!
" Prayut reported in his assets declaration that a part of his assets came from proceed from of a land sale by his father for Bt600 million that was shared among his siblings."

What has his father's business got to do with him, an asset was gained and reported!

What may confuse what Prayuth reported is that his declaration also included the transfer of 268 million baht to his father and siblings, and a further 198.5 million baht to his children. These amounts were listed as "expenses" and were not part of his total assets. The NACC stated it had no issues with Prayuth's declaration; realistically though, the NACC has no authority over the NCPO.

It would be nice for the sake of transparency if the public could see the full asset declaration.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well no it is not.

He is a PM and as such he is open to all sorts of questions including his personal life.

He declared the asset!

" Prayut reported in his assets declaration that a part of his assets came from proceed from of a land sale by his father for Bt600 million that was shared among his siblings."

What has his father's business got to do with him, an asset was gained and reported!

What may confuse what Prayuth reported is that his declaration also included the transfer of 268 million baht to his father and siblings, and a further 198.5 million baht to his children. These amounts were listed as "expenses" and were not part of his total assets. The NACC stated it had no issues with Prayuth's declaration; realistically though, the NACC has no authority over the NCPO.

It would be nice for the sake of transparency if the public could see the full asset declaration.

The army seems to pay well, not?

If there was nothing queer about the deal, why is the PM getting so upset? His reaction makes my 'suspicion antennae' quiver. Seems he's got something to hide. It is high time reporters got over centuries of culture of kowtowing to their 'betters' and became the questioning voice of the people. The reporter is brave and I wish him every success.

The sale is probably completely legitimate.

How his father came to own the land in the first place on the other hand ...

A consortium to purchase the land was put together rather hastily; only a few days before the sale. Knowing Thailand ways of doing business and knowing how real-estate deals in the US can take considerable time to work out prices and other details, this all strikes me as odd. Remember that when Dr. Thaksin had the foreign ownership laws for telecoms changed so that the investment arm of the Singapore government could buy 49% of ShinCorp. and, within days, the sale went through with all the details having already been worked out? That stank of collusion and conspiracy. There is enough suspicion in my mind that an independent inquiry is required to either clear or condemn this land deal. Maybe the PM is not guilty but he should not have the authority to cover for his father's possible wrongdoing.

Where do your get the information that a consortium was put together rather rapidly?

It is clear that a consortium was established specifically to purchase this land since the registration went through only 7 days after the company was formed. Would you suggest that the negotiations to buy the land only started 6 days prior to the registration?

Why do people keep on thinking its shady to form a consortium right before the purchase. Obviously the deal was talked and negotiated beforehand, none is illegal. Its just a business strategy, maybe its for partnership reasons and they do not want the information to leak before the purchase, maybe its for competitive reasons. Most of the big companies purchase land / negotiate through another company/individual so people won't jack up the price when they hear a big so and so company is interested.

Most people who think forming a company 7 days before purchase is suspicious are just fear mongers, silly to try to raise suspicions out of nothing.

• Like 1

Well no it is not.

He declared the asset!

Confused reporting or translation more likely!

It's nobody elses business - he declared his assets to the world - don't you get it

If his father was smart enough to buy a plot of land 50 years ago for the family then it seems to have worked out pretty well

I guess as you say (with insult) my small mind just can't handle it - right ?

The act of declaring assets is not an amnesty for the origin of the assets. Declaration of assets should be followed up by an investigation if the value of the assets is far greater than the income. If the assets are legitimate, then an investigation should not be of concern.

• Like 2