Bank wants my signature allowing wife to have prepaid credit card.

Anyone have the same problem with immigration asking your wife to sign when you change from a marriage extension to one for retirement? that's often been reported here, but I don't recall anyone having a problem with it.

--------------------------

I've heard of wives being asked into talk to immigration if the husband want's to change from a marriage extension to a retirement extension.

Reason they said was to make sure the wife understood the difference and what her new status was.

Basically they wanted to make sure she understood the situation. and what the changes (especially financially) would be especially in the case of a divorce later.

Even though it is a collateralized card, the bank wants to be able to hold you responsible for paying the bill if your wife does not,. If they use the deposited money to pay the bill, she cannot keep the charge cycle going.

Up to you...

If the card is "pre paid" and CANNOT be overdrawn there cannot be a problem. So turn things around and ask the bank to guarantee that the card

cannot be overdrawn. If they are not prepared to do this then they have to explain who is responsible and for how much.

On a UK pre paid it is possible to overdraw by tiny amounts due to the way they charge. I keep one of these cards for emergencies on nights out.

Thanks for all the replies.

The bank girl went through the paper they want me to sign line by line translating in poor but understandable English that it was just for permission/allowing my wife to have her card, not any form of guarantee.

I tried to ask the normal logical questions why this would be necessary but came up against the Thai mentality of why would I ask such questions.

I have been with this bank for about 15years and both my wife and I are well known to them but they do seem to like an excess of paperwork. Each time I want to change something with my account they want copies of all the stuff they had last time and the time before again. Their back room must be full of copies of house book marriage certificate kids papers my passport pages.

Though I find this request odd it's in keeping with this branch of just wanting lots of paper work.

Still undecided. facepalm.gif

My wife has her money and I have mine, our accounts are at different banks, I am legally married, so I am responsible for my wifes debts, I don't think so.

Thailand Civil and Commercial Code, Book V, Family

Section 1490. Debts that both spouses are jointly liable to perform, shall include the following debts incurred by either spouse during marriage:

(1) debts incurred in connection with management of household affairs and providing for the necessaries of the family, or maintenance, medical expenses of the household and for proper education of the children;

(2) debts incurred in connection with the Sin Somros;

(3) debts incurred in connection with a business carried on by the spouses in common;

(4) debts incurred by either spouse only for his or her own benefit but ratified by the other.

"If legally married you are responsible for your wife's debts any way". That is incorrect, a married person may be liable for the spouse's debts.

(3) and (4) in your list relate effectively to joint debts which are obviously the responsibility of both parties and should not be included in that list for the purpose of the question raised here. Any other debts do not carry joint responsibility.

Sounds like a stitch up. A German friend of mine was asked to sign papers written in Thai at a Thai bank which he was told by his wife and the Bank Manager was for a payment for school fees. Only when the bank came to him for B6.5Million owed on a house in Bang Saen did he get the paper translated only to find it was a loan for a house.

Tell your wife to use cash.... Her cash.

It is about time that farang demand that business documents be provided in English as well as Thai. The government keeps whining that Thais are behind in knowing English, but they do absolutely nothing to structure English into the daily lives of Thais, like requiring English on product labels, English business documents, English subtitles on Thai news stations, etc. In Chiang Mai, I have been told that business taxes are levied based on the size of the sign for the business. Not going to get one word of English on them.

The way Thailand stays competitive is to become a bilingual country at the official and business levels, as is Singapore and Malaysia and Indonesia.

Damn, I wonder how often you encounter that sort of bull just because you have a Thai wife. My wife is an American of Filipino ancestry. I have never had any problem of this sort in Thailand with banks, stores, or immigration. My wife can open an account, get her own retirement extension, get a pre-paid card, buy a vehicle, lease a house, all on her own; and she has.

Do you think you may be being discriminated against simply because she is Thai and you are farang?

I know this happens. Some years ago, my wife met me in the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. She came in from the States and checked-in to the hotel using her credit card. I showed-up from Saudi Arabia the next day. We spent three or four days in the hotel and when we were checking out--as is our SOP--I was in the bar having a cocktail while she handled the paperwork. She came to join me and was looking over the bill. She discovered an extra charge; the hotel had charged $20/night extra for a girl in the room. Well, I ordered a second cocktail while she went to do battle with the concierge. End result, the extra fees were deducted from the bill, we received a 10% discount, and my cocktails were on the house.

It always was a bit of a chicken hotel,,,, Just look who stayed there in the past Mick the dxxk Jagger Elton bender John charles and Di, And me , If it had happend to me,I would of got a full refund

I guess my wife is just not the man you are.

• Like 1

Damn, I wonder how often you encounter that sort of bull just because you have a Thai wife. My wife is an American of Filipino ancestry. I have never had any problem of this sort in Thailand with banks, stores, or immigration. My wife can open an account, get her own retirement extension, get a pre-paid card, buy a vehicle, lease a house, all on her own; and she has.

Do you think you may be being discriminated against simply because she is Thai and you are farang?

I know this happens. Some years ago, my wife met me in the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. She came in from the States and checked-in to the hotel using her credit card. I showed-up from Saudi Arabia the next day. We spent three or four days in the hotel and when we were checking out--as is our SOP--I was in the bar having a cocktail while she handled the paperwork. She came to join me and was looking over the bill. She discovered an extra charge; the hotel had charged $20/night extra for a girl in the room. Well, I ordered a second cocktail while she went to do battle with the concierge. End result, the extra fees were deducted from the bill, we received a 10% discount, and my cocktails were on the house.

It always was a bit of a chicken hotel,,,, Just look who stayed there in the past Mick the dxxk Jagger Elton bender John charles and Di, And me , If it had happend to me,I would of got a full refund

Nice one I deserved it he he

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A related question for help and advice.

I have a Credit Card with KsBank and a Debit Card with Ks Bank.

Can I use these cards abroad, instead of carrying cash?. I have funds in both

I have a ATM card with Krungsri bank and can withdraw from any ATM bank in Asia. Guess Credit card and Debit cards have the same option.