Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand drop in October

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other main English news source states, total arrivals in October totalled 2.18 million, an increase of 6.1% from October last year. Here, The Tourism Department stated today foreign tourist arrivals in October dropped 6.1% from the same month last year. Up or down or the other way round. What a joke.

Just back from Loy Kratong in Chiang Mai, numbers well down on last year.

Our local restaurant in Chiang Mai has held 3 days Loy Krathong entertainment every year since we have been here.

Usually plenty of tourists but this year all cancelled simply not the bums on seats.

I' surprised with the rouble in the toilet because of EU/US financial sanctions that the Russians are still here....I'm in Pattaya and they are all over the place....to be honest the place seems busy s perhaps it is picking up for the high season.

I thought the same, but maybe there are plenty of Russians with big money or they booked the holiday months ago before the rouble took a nose-dive.

Mind you, I can't tell whether the person next to me is Russian, Georgian or Ukrainianetc. They all sound the same! Maybe they are all counted as Russian by TAT.

Could be much worse. A six percent drop does not seem like it would mean that half of England is cowering in their bedrooms in leu of the intrepid holiday to Danger Island where the distinct possibility of getting a hoe upside one's head or a holiday Fudd hat full of Bugs Bunny arrows awaits them.

More than likely it's a drop in arrivals because of various random circumstances, not least of which would be that it isn't exactly raining money in Farangland lately.

• Like 1

Great news, hope the numbers continue to fall...biggrin.png

Good news for us that live here. Perhaps, the wife and I, can take an affordable, well-deserved, month-long beach holiday this year or next?

Or, am I being too idealist, in thinking that condo & resort owners will offer special deals, for those of us that actually live here full-time?

They never have before, but one can only hope... Usually, they raise prices...

No matter which nation I go to Western Expats are so full of their own self importance, this post is a perfect illustration.

Good news for us that live here. Perhaps, the wife and I, can take an affordable, well-deserved, month-long beach holiday this year or next?

Or, am I being too idealist, in thinking that condo & resort owners will offer special deals, for those of us that actually live here full-time?

No matter which nation I go to Western Expats are so full of their own self importance, this post is a perfect illustration of that.

Thailand has simply lost its appeal, it's no longer THE place to go.

With Thai's attitude to the tourists that still come, it's going to get even worse.

Shame, but you reap what you sow

my friends who have back packing in southeast Asia in the last few years, most of them were not impressed by Thailand at all. They had much better times in Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar etc. You are right, this isn't the 80's, these countries are open now and there is opportunity to visit it.

What do you expect? I think government figures are on the high side. Japan has trashed the yen with all the money they are printing. The Russian ruble is taking a big hit over sanctions, the Euro is also down so what do you expect. If China goes through a bubble well all bets are off the table and some of these over produced/priced condos could collect dust for a long long time. Tourists cannot create money out of thin air like governments do. Most are over extended borrowing money to travel. A lot of older people now no longer save money for their children to spend.

• Like 1

The other main English news source states, total arrivals in October totalled 2.18 million, an increase of 6.1% from October last year. Here, The Tourism Department stated today foreign tourist arrivals in October dropped 6.1% from the same month last year. Up or down or the other way round. What a joke.

Just read that myself in the BP that it's time to celebrate as tourism is up 6.1%. I just came back from a trip all around Thailand, middle of last month and just home from north today. Most areas are complaining no tourists and they are right, it was very quiet everywhere. The TAT don't have a clue re the official figures.

On my 3000 km trip the run down hotels were the most expensive ones with quite a raise in their prices.

the new ones (much less in numbers) however were the most reasonable. Makes one think.

a real job here laid away for TAT, iso fooling around with numbers and brilliant ideas.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

f

Great news.

Keep dropping and dropping until Thailand realises we are not second class humans compared with Thais... we are in fact essential for the survival of this country.

I hope they lose all their tourism.... serves them right.

Possible serial killer on Koh Tao and they are covering it up.

I hope they lose all their tourism.... serves them right.

Yes, let the 10 mio or so Thais that work in the tourist industry suffer, because some BiB f*****ed up the Koh Tao investigation.blink.png

With that attitude I hope your cheese business will go down the drain and your suppliers will cheat you as much as they can. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776941-ripoffs-go-right-to-the-top/

I would be interested to see hotel occupancy rates as these would probably give us a better indication of what is going on especially with the recent immigration changes as i assume there are less border runners now.

• Like 1

Well, sucks for some hotel owners, but I seriously doubt politicians would give a damn. Money from International tourists is about 6~8% of GDP. And that is not where politicians "earn" their personal profits.

No matter which nation I go to Western Expats are so full of their own self importance, this post is a perfect illustration.

Ha, ha, hehe this cracks me upcheesy.gif little chip on your shoulder there guy(?) ha, ha......No, emilymats post is more on target::

"or they booked the holiday months ago before the rouble took a nose-dive."

Well, sucks for some hotel owners, but I seriously doubt politicians would give a damn. Money from International tourists is about 6~8% of GDP. And that is not where politicians "earn" their personal profits.

The minimum wage did not help, the exports are effected due to that 30% increase, prices went up and starters (staff) kept to a minimum, also the flood in 11 when a lot of buyers had to go else where and never came back. The factories are working on a much smaller margin if any, it is a hard game for the normal working Thai factory and workers. I believe it will take a decade to get back to normal, seen levels, unless the AEC market will transform TH. Lets hope so.

I would be interested to see hotel occupancy rates as these would probably give us a better indication of what is going on especially with the recent immigration changes as i assume there are less border runners now.

As i posted earlier, 75 room hotel has only 8 room in comparison last year it was full.

A 16 room hotel, has 3 rooms.

The bigger one rooms go for 2500/night the smaller one 900/night.

So pretty even in terms of occupancy, about 10% across both levels,

No surprise here...expect the year on year figure to be about the same as Oct...a significant decease over previous years...

But by all means...bring in those quality Russian and Chinese tourists...good luck with that...

mmmmm ... sounds like they don't know why tourist numbers have dropped ... perhaps they might want to take a step back and look at the massive amount of negative press Thailand has received over the past few years ... murders, rapes, corruption, scams, suicides, curfews, coups ... the list goes on ... and never changes.

As for those unknown (oh so high quality) Chinese tourists, that's simple, the visa fee was waived (from August to October).

I think your last sentence says it all. Chinese get a cheaper deal. The rest of the world sees a stronger baht so not a cheap holiday. Better to stay at home and enjoy Bondi, Florida or perhaps the local pub with a flame licking log fire and a decent beer.

mmmmm ... sounds like they don't know why tourist numbers have dropped ... perhaps they might want to take a step back and look at the massive amount of negative press Thailand has received over the past few years ... murders, rapes, corruption, scams, suicides, curfews, coups ... the list goes on ... and never changes.

As for those unknown (oh so high quality) Chinese tourists, that's simple, the visa fee was waived (from August to October).

And slowly I think the Chinese are going to move in on Thailand and take control, just like the Russian's have

I wonder how much of the decrease is due to elimination of visa runs....

I am not happy tourist numbers are down. Local people are hurting financially. And it seems that crime against farangs is up in violence and/or robbery departments. If some can't get money via normal hustles, not that great a step to cross over to theft. Little to fear in punishment or law enforcement. Come to think of it, I can see police also profiting from crimes as criminals would have to share some of the loot with BIB to get back on street again...

No surprise here...expect the year on year figure to be about the same as Oct...a significant decease over previous years...

But by all means...bring in those quality Russian and Chinese tourists...good luck with that...

Apparently according the the owner of Russian TV stations and largest Russian real estate, Russian numbers are already down by 1 million due to exchange rate and high crime(Russian deaths and attacks),

aTomsLife, on 19 Nov 2014 - 15:52, said:
inwardglee, on 19 Nov 2014 - 15:33, said:

The decrease in tourism to Thailand is not only because Thailand's picture abroad is not so idyllic anymore.

Nowadays, travelling simply does not make sense anymore, except for eating a double burger for half the price than home, and that's it. Besides that, there is no reason for travelling, definitely not culture. The money culture is all the same. A bit more or less smiles from country to country, who cares.

Travelling is not an adventure anymore, it is not exclusive anymore, it is not for understanding new things anymore. There is no reason nowadays for international travelling except getting a new visa for a country that wants people to fly around in the world for visas. And even that travelling will sleep off. lol

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points. And may God have mercy on your soul. -- excerpted from Billy Madison:

I think 'inwardglee' has certainly lost touch with reality