Cheap in-country health insurance for expat

Runamile

The story before the melt-down of my computer hard drive was that, suspicious over the confusions of the Thai Government Scheme's applicability to foreigners, other than migrant workers, I'd set aside full details of a Thai private insurance scheme that fitted the bill, both in terms of price and cover and accessibility to foreigners Those details are now lost.

Has anybody any ideas, or good experiences? I don't want expat cover. Prices are ludicrous; and I don't require major components, such as repatriation. I just want to buy into what Thais would use by way of private medical insurance - the key issue, thereby, being that the company will allow foreigners to do precisely that. I'm in Thailand on a student visa, studying for a Masters.

Many Thanks

I just want to buy into what Thais would use by way of private medical insurance - the key issue, thereby, being that the company will allow foreigners to do precisely that.

Be careful about selecting your health insurance based on what Thai people would use. Thai people have the Thai universal health care to fall back on, so the kind of private health insurance suitable for them may not be sufficient for you.

Sophon

Many thanks for all your advice, guys.

On student cover, I did enquire with the University, but they stopped what they did have available, which, I think was a group membership of a Thai scheme. My guess is that, on the one hand, Thais are accounted for, and on the other International students tend to use some kind of "backpacker" insurance, probably with an age-based assumption of one-off incidents the only potentiality (and, possibly, small ones at that).

I note the points about remembering that Thais have the universal health care system as a back up. I also take the point about talking - not least because, now I'm reminded, I've heard of companies running "bucket" groups into which they, can, in fact, feed individual clients, so gaining business that would otherwise be lost. Obviously, from the client's point of view, the group discounts are, normally, very high.