Proton Preve CFE experiences anyone?

frankphuket

Don't shoot or shout, don't care much about Proton jokes as well....

Looking for a car for my son and besides the obvious: Mazda 2, Toyota Vios, Honda Jazz and came across the Proton Preve CFE, listed at 759,000 but has a discount at the moment of 120,000 Baht, so final price is 639,000 undercutting pretty much all those smaller cars. Comes with 5 years warranty.

Reviews I read are mixed and of course do not really say anything about long term ownership.

Anybody who has one or knows of someone who does please give some feedback.

Not just Proton is crap....full stop, without having actual experience with the newer cars.

cheers

Seems that there are a few dealers in Bangkok and other regions. I see quite a good number of Exoras on the road here in Phuket, used mostly as Taxis.

Maybe I am a "cheapy" but the price is damn attractive for a car in a higher category (not dare to see different class....).

Just worried that it will 'fall apart' after a couple of years or having plenty of things going wrong.

The 5 year warranty should cover most but it can't cover inconvenience and annoyance.

Maybe a handwriting on the wall heads up from the other poster....if there are three multi dealers that have pulled out of the line there's a reason....with some other manufacturers re-entering the Thai market the fringe vehicles will likely be the victims and be pushed out/opted out by more lucrative opportunities for the dealers.....

Does not make any difference how nice the price/warranty says if you cannot get it serviced...once the dealer pulls the plug you're left standing alone....

There is a reason for a 15%+ "discount" - that's huge - maybe their looking to unload the cars and their franchises for the Proton line.....

It's usually the fringe operators that are hoping to prosper by adding many multiple minor lines - mostly because they can't qualify for/land a major manufacturer.....

Maybe a handwriting on the wall heads up from the other poster....if there are three multi dealers that have pulled out of the line there's a reason....with some other manufacturers re-entering the Thai market the fringe vehicles will likely be the victims and be pushed out/opted out by more lucrative opportunities for the dealers.....

Does not make any difference how nice the price/warranty says if you cannot get it serviced...once the dealer pulls the plug you're left standing alone....

There is a reason for a 15%+ "discount" - that's huge - maybe their looking to unload the cars and their franchises for the Proton line.....

It's usually the fringe operators that are hoping to prosper by adding many multiple minor lines - mostly because they can't qualify for/land a major manufacturer.....

To be fair the dealers are still selling cars and servicing. Just not holding stock!

Well they always offered really big discounts on their list prices, simply because list is rather high. I mean would you even look at a Preve near to Civic money.

But if it goes down to base spec Jazz moeny....hmmm.

I don't think they will disappear from the market, as mentioned plenty of Exoras around.

Still nobody with actual driving or owning experience, as this would be of main interest.

Well they always offered really big discounts on their list prices, simply because list is rather high. I mean would you even look at a Preve near to Civic money.

But if it goes down to base spec Jazz moeny....hmmm.

I don't think they will disappear from the market, as mentioned plenty of Exoras around.

Still nobody with actual driving or owning experience, as this would be of main interest.

Chances are the owners you see driving around probably are not TVF farangs.....

• 7 months later...

I bought one 1.5 years ago in Ubon.

The car had its problems and the dealer here is not worth having. Petrol consumption is 2x as much as my old bmw330 I had in Switzerland.

According to Proton - this is normal....

So I had it converted to use LPG. now of course all new problems are due to the LPG- conversion.

Do not touch Proton in Thailand.

Specially not in Ubon

I have had a Proton Savy for nearly 4 years and it's been a great little car, and Yes I would buy another.

It suits my needs.... I don't want anything flash, it's just something to get me from A to B..... And my Proton does that...

have a colleague with a Preve CFE. 2 years and still not fallen apart.

Proton dealership near the office is multi brand and also has Chevrolet.

Don't know about the discount, but isn't Ford also doing the same?

Got a niche market car myself, so hopefully we ALL get serviced.

Edited by raffo77