Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

it is not about my current address as it was not needed or asked for on the form as i was told i had to go back to trendy to collect it ,It does not matter jack shit where in the world i am I am a british citizen and have every right to be granted a UK passport no matter where i am living, I am really boloxed now as i cannot get anything sorted short of sitting in the UK embassy till they gert fed up of me or take a bomb and maybe then they will take action

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is not about my current address as it was not needed or asked for on the form as i was told i had to go back to trendy to collect it ,It does not matter jack shit where in the world i am I am a british citizen and have every right to be granted a UK passport no matter where i am living, I am really boloxed now as i cannot get anything sorted short of sitting in the UK embassy till they gert fed up of me or take a bomb and maybe then they will take action

Sorry but you are mistaken, unfortunately address and name confirmation is currently a major cause of passport issue delay.

Not saying I agree, but If as a UK Citizen Overseas you cannot show a 'permanent' address in the country where you apply, then for 'security reasons' they expect you to travel to the UK on an ETD and apply there.

UK Passport Application Group 2 Guidance Notes:

Table A

Identity, name and address evidence

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Photo Evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• your British passport (if you are renewing)

• non-British uncancelled passport

• national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

• driving licence

• any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.

Name and address evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• baptismal or naming certificate

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• parents’ death certificates if applicable

immigration documents.

Here is a link to the guidance notes on the HMPO website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-2

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-2

I see from these guidance notes that HMPO now require dual nationals to include a copy of each and every page of their non-British passport with their renewal applications.

What a cheek! What bloody business of HMPO is it if a particular applicant is a dual national?

I'm sure that the MFA here are thrilled to bits at copies of passports which they have issued languishing for ages in orange boxes stored in presumably unlocked conference rooms in HMPO's Liverpool office!

This ridiculous requirement must be a particular pain for those of you with dual national kids with your Thai tiiraks, who are expected to endure this whole bloody passport renewal rigmarole every 5 years.

• Like 1

I see from these guidance notes that HMPO now require dual nationals to include a copy of each and every page of their non-British passport with their renewal applications.

What a cheek! What bloody business of HMPO is it if a particular applicant is a dual national?

I'm sure that the MFA here are thrilled to bits at copies of passports which they have issued languishing for ages in orange boxes stored in presumably unlocked conference rooms in HMPO's Liverpool office!

This ridiculous requirement must be a particular pain for those of you with dual national kids with your Thai tiiraks, who are expected to endure this whole bloody passport renewal rigmarole every 5 years.

First post above. For my son, all his address documents are in Thai language. Is HMPO accepting non-English documents for passport renewal.

Second post. What if your child does not have a non-British passport. My 25 year old son has never owned a Thai passport. You can't give them what you do not have. I hope he is not expected the get a Thai passport first.

Edited by GarryP

First post above. For my son, all his address documents are in Thai language. Is HMPO accepting non-English documents for passport renewal.

Second post. What if your child does not have a non-British passport. My 25 year old son has never owned a Thai passport. You can't give them what you do not have. I hope he is not expected the get a Thai passport first.

Must be translated by a recognized translation agency.

HMPO Advice:

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

If no second nationality passport, no problem.

Here some lastest news just come out within a few hours ...

HM Passport Office to be abolished and boss to lose job, says Theresa May Home Secretary chooses day of Parliament recall to announce major changes to the Passport Office, following "summer of chaos" which saw thousands of holidaymakers thwarted by passport delays

Read More : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11122977/HM-Passport-Office-to-be-abolished-and-boss-to-lose-job-says-Theresa-May.html

Home Secretary Theresa May today announced that she is to take control of HM Passport Office in a bid to improve its performance in the wake of controversy over a huge backlog of applications this summer.

Read More : http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/home-secretary-takes-over-passport-office-after-events-of-this-summer-9757402.html

• Like 1

Paul Pugh to get the boot. Should cheer really but it has taken too long

Note that the reports only mention that British holiday makers have suffered.

Totally out of touch

I am not sure if we will see any change to the actual procedure of applications inside Thailand though.

Certainly a step in the right direction

• Like 1

We need a link to this information for confirmation. Can you supply that.

I went through the steps for passport application and can confirm info posted. Go through the steps to get email address for appointments at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Making your application

You must apply in person. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages). You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre

The Trendy Office Building,

28th Floor,

Sukhumvit Soi13,

Klongtoey-Nua,

Wattana,

Bangkok

Thailand

You will also require your proof of address in Thailand translated from Thai to English. That is not mentioned in the info from the website. Don't forget it or they will not accept your application - it happened to me and I had to some quick thinking and get my rent form emailed to me and then printed off and translated - duration 4 hours and because it was an "emergency" I had to pay 1200 B for the quick translation.

I have my appointment for 22nd October.

So on the photo ID, my UK Drivers Licence will be OK

On the proof of address, for here in Bangkok, would I be able to use my Thai drivers licence, which has the address on it.

I do have an English language copy of my rental agreement, so this would be the best?

The rental agreement should be good, you could take a photocopy of both as I'm sure there was room on the document receipt for multiple proofs.

Doesn't the proof have to be within the last 6 months ? Is there a date issued on your license.

I used an employment contract, it was in English but I could have made it myself, so I think it's not hard as long as its in English with maybe an some type of rubber stamp.

The rental agreement should be good, you could take a photocopy of both as I'm sure there was room on the document receipt for multiple proofs.

Doesn't the proof have to be within the last 6 months ? Is there a date issued on your license.

I used an employment contract, it was in English but I could have made it myself, so I think it's not hard as long as its in English with maybe an some type of rubber stamp.

Thought the rental would be good, as we only started living here in March this year, as for my Thai licence it was renewed from 1 year to 5 year in march as well, but ill stick with the rental.smile.png

not being rude there was nothing on the passport form i fillrd in at trendy to ask for my name and address in Thailand,even though i i di write in on the application,and as my passport was being delivered back to trendy building giving your address seems irrelivant,and as for being rude I LOST MY JOB TODAY BECAUSE OF THIS, SO NOW I LOSE MY APARTMENT NEXT MONTH AND I DO NOT HAVE ANY INCOME APART FROM THIS MONTHS SALARY,which will not go very far. Its ok for you lot with a job or a retirement pension or a wife so you can get your non o visa,well my wife died 3 years ago and within 1 day the immigration cancelled my non o visa, I am 60 years old and i do not need this hassle or this s*it So i have to trawl round the coutntry now looking for work until my money runs out.So please don't come on here telling me i am being rude THEY ARE A BUNCH OF W**KERS OK

• Like 1

not being rude there was nothing on the passport form i fillrd in at trendy to ask for my name and address in Thailand,even though i i di write in on the application,and as my passport was being delivered back to trendy building giving your address seems irrelivant,and as for being rude I LOST MY JOB TODAY BECAUSE OF THIS, SO NOW I LOSE MY APARTMENT NEXT MONTH AND I DO NOT HAVE ANY INCOME APART FROM THIS MONTHS SALARY,which will not go very far. Its ok for you lot with a job or a retirement pension or a wife so you can get your non o visa,well my wife died 3 years ago and within 1 day the immigration cancelled my non o visa, I am 60 years old and i do not need this hassle or this s*it So i have to trawl round the coutntry now looking for work until my money runs out.So please don't come on here telling me i am being rude THEY ARE A BUNCH OF W**KERS OK

So, not wishing to be rude either but, you are 60 years old and have made no provision for your retirement. You failed to get a replacement passport before the expiry date, as a result of which you lost your WP/Job. You also failed to read the very clear and concise guidance notes relating to supporting documents required.

For all this you blame HMPO ?

I am very sorry that you lost your job but I think you have to look more critically at the way you went about this. Hopefully, they will not pick up, from the photocopies, the fact that you steamed off a Cambodian visa to do the Penang visa run. Criminal charges for tampering with UK government property is the last thing you need at the moment.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear of your problems caused by passport application process, but actually there is a link that jumps to supporting material.

The whole process caused me many sleepless nights, would my proof be accepted, explaining to the photo shop they couldn't photoshop my wrinkles, booking flights to cover the 2000 km + round trip, the extension that immigration wouldn't grant me then change their minds, even the worry that my passport would be kept there and the wait of 15 mins they spent looking for my envelope.

So I do understand. I could have easily been in your boat or in the IDC because I tried to navigate around a 500b / day overstay.

It's just a real shame that someone is paid to facilitate this process in Bangkok didn't do their job and didn't warn you, instead just took your application and smiled.

• Like 2

To Jip99 My passport has not expired it is just bloody full and as i applied for a new empty one in May 2014 common sense would have said that even with 2 pages left it was enough time now it is Ocrober tomorrow and i have used up both my pages for my visa stamps and for my non b visa so now my passport is full and as for retirement pension i do not retire till May 2017 when i will be 65 I intended working and not scrounging on the government by taking early retirement as i dont hava a pp or a serps which when i was a young lad we did not have, And as for setting aside provisions for my retirement yes i did but i was selfish i used it all to pay my thai wifes medical and hospital bills and for her funeral so if that is being selfish of me then ok And for your information 3 nights in the ICU in Bangkpk/Phuket hospital was 356000 baht alone then moving to Vachira hospital 18000 baht and then her treatment every month till she died over 100000 baht. and oh i paid for her cremation.So sorry if i did not make any provisions for my future.

• Like 2

Hopefully, they will not pick up, from the photocopies, the fact that you steamed off a Cambodian visa to do the Penang visa run. Criminal charges for tampering with UK government property is the last thing you need at the moment.

Hmm, I actually wonder whether this could lie at the heart of the protracted security checks which are being conducted into Alan's renewal application?

Edited by OJAS

I have passed all the UK security checks so i cannot see what the prblem is and the non b visa covers the space that i used to have my cambodian visa on, and i will reiterate i down loaded the form to fill in and took it to Trendy it was checked and stamped ok Nothing was said about added documentation however i did werite my current address on the form,and 18 weeks is still a bloody disgrace even with any mistakes.Why it has to be passed to the overseas team is anyones guess i could just be here on an extended holiday seeing as i have to pick it back up from trendy in bangkok the proof of address is irrelevant

To Jip99 My passport has not expired it is just bloody full and as i applied for a new empty one in May 2014 common sense would have said that even with 2 pages left it was enough time now it is Ocrober tomorrow and i have used up both my pages for my visa stamps and for my non b visa so now my passport is full and as for retirement pension i do not retire till May 2017 when i will be 65 I intended working and not scrounging on the government by taking early retirement as i dont hava a pp or a serps which when i was a young lad we did not have, And as for setting aside provisions for my retirement yes i did but i was selfish i used it all to pay my thai wifes medical and hospital bills and for her funeral so if that is being selfish of me then ok And for your information 3 nights in the ICU in Bangkpk/Phuket hospital was 356000 baht alone then moving to Vachira hospital 18000 baht and then her treatment every month till she died over 100000 baht. and oh i paid for her cremation.So sorry if i did not make any provisions for my future.

Sorry to hear about your wife as well. I am just grateful that have taken sufficient health cover for mine should the worst happen.

I have passed all the UK security checks so i cannot see what the prblem is and the non b visa covers the space that i used to have my cambodian visa on, and i will reiterate i down loaded the form to fill in and took it to Trendy it was checked and stamped ok Nothing was said about added documentation however i did werite my current address on the form,and 18 weeks is still a bloody disgrace even with any mistakes.Why it has to be passed to the overseas team is anyones guess i could just be here on an extended holiday seeing as i have to pick it back up from trendy in bangkok the proof of address is irrelevant

So on top of all your other troubles you have defaced your passport by removing a visa sticker (my red).

Hopefully, they will not pick up, from the photocopies, the fact that you steamed off a Cambodian visa to do the Penang visa run. Criminal charges for tampering with UK government property is the last thing you need at the moment.

Hmm, I actually wonder whether this could lie at the heart of the protracted security checks which are being conducted into Alan's renewal application?

He applied in May. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong (irrespective of the HMPO debacle).

HMPO would not be aware that he tampered with his passport as he sent off photocopies BEFORE going to Penang and getting a WP. I got a retirement extension and also traveled to Cambodia, AFTER applying for the renewal passport, without any problems.

Unfortunately, Alan is not the adjudicator for address confirmation. It is required whether realistically necessary or not.

So i defaced my passport only because i applied on 29th may and by the MIDDLE of july it had not come back to me, so jail me.i could not be in an anymore bad way. I lose my job as i was only on 3 months rolling contract for start, now when they wanted me to have a 1 year contract i cannot get a new now b visa. So whats the bloody point of anything NO JOB NEXT MONTH MAYBE NO HOME AND ON OVERSTAY